Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Help with rebuilding a 22r

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with rebuilding a 22r

I have an 83 pickup and im going to build a new 22r for it. I was just wanting some advice on it since ive only build chevys before. First, I bought a core from a later model 4 runner, and I think that the block and head is slightly different from the 83 but im not sure, and I want to make sure it will bolt up to the tranny. I have been looking at rebuild kits and weber carb kits on ebay and was wondering if anyone has had good success with those products and which kits they would recomend. Im wondering what kind of cam I should choose, if I should go with an rv cam or something larger, and I want to bump up the compression to about 9:1, im not sure if I should get higher compression pistons or mabye just mill the head. im going to put a header on it and build an exhaust, I want a low restriction muffler that wont be too loud as I will take the truck on hunting trips. I would also like some advice on what kind of ignition products are available, if there are aftermarket distributors and if I can set it up with an MSD or similar ignition system. The truck has 32 inch tires and stock gears, and will be used as a hunting, work truck, and trail truck.

I know this is a lot of info but I would really appreciate input on what you feel the best options are, and if I should go with a kit I can get a good deal on from ebay, or if i should stick to another supplier. Thanks for all the help, ive got lots of great info from this board over the last few years.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you pulled an engine from a later 4runner, it's a bit different, you are right. however it's cheaper to rebuild. it is also a direct bolt up for your tranny and engine mounts.

it already has 9.3:1 compression. try engnbldr.com for a good reuild kit.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:01 PM

Looking at the description of your truck it looks like you would have some more answers im needing. Would the 20r head bolt up to this engine and are there any additional modifications for using this head. And where did you find your intake? Thanks for the help
Old 11-02-2006, 07:31 AM

motor

i would not swap the heads, post 85 22re have a flat piston and shape of combustion chamber in head is different. if you took the flat piston block and used your swirl type 20r head the compression would drop to a really low 7:1 compression ration (called LC engineering). plus you'll run into lots of other problems, for example the timing chain--post 85 block is shorter than that of a pre 85, and so is the head. so if u're going to go with the 84 chain the tensioner has to come all the way out just to be able to tension the chain, this would be a problem in the longrun as the tensioner will no longer be able to tension as the chain starts stretching. the post 85 chain will not work when u're using an 85-up block and pre 84 head. my advice for u is to use the complete longblock. if youre going to go with the pre 85 use complete or vice versa.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as a general rule, it's best not to mix early('84 and older) with late('85-newer). yes, a lot of parts interchange but until you really learn a lot about these engines it's best to follow that rule.

i'd find an '84 or older block if you want to do the 20R head thing. they aren't that hard to find(in my experience, i paid $175 for the whole engine because the guy couldn't get rid of it!). i got my intake off a guy on another forum, but summit racing and offyparts.com sell them new(for quite a bit more). the nice part is that my particular intake accepts a weber carb with no adapter, you just have to use a plastic spacer to raise it up to clear the accelerator pump linkage.