Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Need a new torque wrench

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah, this one I am getting does not have a flex head, but you really do not need it for lugnuts.

About the only use this torque wrench will see is is lugnuts.

I would be interested though in picking up the type you have for working on other parts of the rig that require torquing.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Picked it up today, it is a beaut!

Instead of a twisting collar to lock it like on the Craftsman, this one you pull down on the collar to free swing the shaft, then let go and it snaps back up to lock.

The info that came with it also says you need not turn it to zero unless storing it for a very long time.

This thing is long, have not seen yet if it will fit in my cargobox or not.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 86tuning
The split-beam type torque wrenches made by Precision are the same ones that Snap-On sells. Very well priced for a quality instrument.

I have the 50-250# flex head one, and it cost me around $250 when I bought it years ago.

sorry for the hi-jack.

Brian, where do you get your snap-on collaborated? i just got one of the snap-on's off ebay for $68, will be here tomorrow. anyhoo, supposely, the torq setting needs to be re-collaborated or is broken. i bought it because it's it's Snap-on, even hoping it's broken so i can get a new one.

thanks.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

This is the actual tool.
http://www.kd-tools.com/3498.htm

A parent company makes the Armstrong, K-D Tools, and a few others.
Mine is the 3498 model.

Way to long for my cargobox, so I will need to keep it off to the side.
No blow-mold case for this yet, but they will look into making one.
A case would be nice.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:42 PM

i have the el-cheapo from pep-boys, and it works pretty good $25
Old 08-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Technique?

What's everyone's wheel lug nut tightening technique? I've heard torque from current position, or loosen first, then torque. Then torque cross-x pattern. Is there a different method for different wrenches? Mine's in the above thread, a twist to set and tighten 'till click wrench.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:40 PM

With torque wrenches, i only trust name brands, matco, mac, and snap-on(i have two of them myself), and personal use(ie mostly everyone on here) Craftsman. I say i only trust name brand cuz well.. i can have my local snap-on, or mac/matco guy calibrate them for me whenever(from what i understand), and honestly... look at the quality of build... cheapo looking and feeling(others) vs beefy as hell(Brands)??... ya... that right there speaks enough for me. Name not so much, but feel of the tool, yes. The backing is also there due to the brand. But... lets be honest, i rarely use them.

Torque sequenence is usually criss-cross. As far as tightening w/ a torque wrench, i've always tightned hand tight, then i do the same pattern over again, i torque them all(to click), then go over it again to click... bolts/nuts have a tendency of not always being at proper torque the first time around, things flex.

... i'm not even gonna touch the impact subject that someone brought up.. i won't even try to defend them.. *sigh*..

Happy Torquing.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

I had a Husky and broke it....took it back and got a new one for free...it only goes to 100 ft lb....I needed one that went to 120 ft lb.

I don't recommend the Husky....but they did replace it free like Craftsman does.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TC4RNR
sorry for the hi-jack.

Brian, where do you get your snap-on collaborated? i just got one of the snap-on's off ebay for $68, will be here tomorrow. anyhoo, supposely, the torq setting needs to be re-collaborated or is broken. i bought it because it's it's Snap-on, even hoping it's broken so i can get a new one.

thanks.
Only snap-on hand tools have a lifetime warranty. Measuring tools and power tools have a limited warranty (1 or 2 years, depending on the item) so you're going to be SOL for warranty on a used torque wrench.

However, you could ask your local snap-on rep about repairing and calibrating your used torque wrench. Just phone them.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:49 PM

i did talked to a local snap-on rep, in person. first to clear up on the snap-on warranty. first their warranty do NOT include any plastic, wooden, rubber parts. so if your wrench has a plastic handle and you broke it, snap-on won't replace it. on the torque wrench i have, the only parts have life time warranty are the gears inside the rachet head. the head and handle(both are steel) have 2-year warranty.

snap-on charges $60 for re-calibrating, it takes about 2 weeks, and it's done at their factory in vegas.

i'm kinda disapointed about what i heard, but you can't beat that deal!! maybe because mine is for personal use, he's not expecting i buying any thing from him. i believe he'd be more lenient if i'm a mechanic.

Last edited by TC4RNR; 09-14-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yoda
Hey Corey,
In my work I use torque wrenches from 25 inch lbs to 600 foot lbs.

I buy my snap-on ones on EBAY. The micrometer style does need to be turned down to minimun when stored. The breaking beam style does not. I like the flex head instead of fixed.

RANT ON!
(My local "tire store" runs them down with impact, then uses a torque wrench. The wrench just clicked, didn't rotate the nut at all. They said it was 100, I showed them they were at 175. The nut HAS to turn before it clicks or it is too tight!)
END RANT
Thread hijack: we use torque sticks at work for wheels, but either they did not use them or use the correct stick for your truck. I second the Snap-On torque wrench. I personally am wanting the digital ones they have, but currently spent $400 on a coolant evacuating/refilling tool so that will be later.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:17 AM

i just broke my pittsburg it just fell apart, maybe it's time for a real one
Old 11-18-2007, 08:37 AM

its weird to hear about tire places actually using torque wrenches. most of them just use the gun to put the bolts on and call it good. some may use torque sticks, but still isnt as good as the wrench. i have a snap on wrench btw