Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

I give you the Hi-Lift shorty

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I give you the Hi-Lift shorty

Well as many of you know a lift on a runner or pickup almost guarantee your stock jack wont work. Now I've tried a couple thing to keep the stocker working but it's just hard. I carry a 48" Jack on the roof rack bars in order to lift my truck in the event of a flat. Though to utilize it you must have sliders, which I do. But one day after some tree cutting and stump removal (which I use a hi-lift when the location does not permit a bobcat). The last one I broke a 48" a few times so much so that I ended up with 38". Hmm I thought what to do? So I cleaned it and painted it and mounted it to my roll bar. To limited the rear axle flex during lift you will have to strap it. I used some rubber pucks and a pre body lift bolt and a few other things to secure it.

Aaron

Last edited by xcmountain80; 08-30-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:52 AM

Nice "Not-so" High Lift hehe

What's that parrot and shark for?

David
Old 08-31-2007, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that a Gen1 4Runner rollbar in there?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Blizzard
Nice "Not-so" High Lift hehe

What's that parrot and shark for?

David
We moved into a town home and the garage is slightly challenged, so the golf head things are so we know when to stop. I'm 3" from the garage door. The roll bar is a 1st gen.

Aaron
Old 09-01-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Y'all go through all that (jacking up the vehicle with a hi-lift from the side or front/rear, using a strap to keep the axle up, etc) and somewhat not safe, especially when off road, when a simple bottle jack under the axle will do all that, twice as fast, and much, much safer..

Fred
Old 09-01-2007, 02:15 PM

Thats kinda the point, a bottle jack doesn's take btwn 5 and 6 clicks to get it off the ground, not to mention having to crawl under the truck to get it placed. With the sliders that I have (welded) the weight of the vehicle is supported with no issues on the jack. As far as the safety factor you have to know how to use a HL to use a HL, they are extremely dangerous in un-trained hands. Though if you know of bottle jack with the same lift speed as a HL I would buy one for sure just to have.

Aaron
Old 09-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
Thats kinda the point, a bottle jack doesn's take btwn 5 and 6 clicks to get it off the ground, not to mention having to crawl under the truck to get it placed. With the sliders that I have (welded) the weight of the vehicle is supported with no issues on the jack. As far as the safety factor you have to know how to use a HL to use a HL, they are extremely dangerous in un-trained hands. Though if you know of bottle jack with the same lift speed as a HL I would buy one for sure just to have.

Aaron
The vast majority of people that use hi-lifts are "un-trained"..
The bottle jack is just as fast, even faster that times that I've seen hi-lifts used. By the time you get the hi-lift unbundled from where it's at, the axle strapped up and then the hi-lift in place and the vehicle lifted.
The bottle jack is very fast and you don't have to "crawl under the vehicle" to get in placed.
Almost every time that I've seen a hi-lift used it's just been beyond scary.

This is pretty typical:

Fred
Old 09-01-2007, 08:22 PM

Wow !

Aaron
Old 09-01-2007, 09:25 PM

Congratulations.

You just made an off road tool usable only on flat ground in the shop.

I use a bottle jack under the axle off road given a choice.

I use a floor jack in the shop.

I use my 60" Hi-Lift on the trail when there is no other reasonable way.

I have 37's.

Last edited by Flygtenstein; 09-01-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like how the hi-lift fits in the back, but you might want to consider moving it further back so that the handle doesn't intrude on a rear passenger's head space. In the event of a side impact or roll, the left rear passenger could get seriously injured.

Just something to think about.

Last edited by 86tuning; 09-01-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:12 AM

Well screw you guys,,,,,, if you don't like it don't use it! This has nothing to do with the trail. I have a 48 with base for the trail this was just a quick fix for not using the bottle jack. This is for a flat on the side of the road or job site. I obviously forgot to put that caption in. I had something lying around and taking up space so I figured I would make good use of it. I didn't reinvent the wheel I merely lost some height on a Hi-Lift.

Aaron
Old 09-02-2007, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
Well screw you guys,,,,,, if you don't like it don't use it! This has nothing to do with the trail. I have a 48 with base for the trail this was just a quick fix for not using the bottle jack. This is for a flat on the side of the road or job site. I obviously forgot to put that caption in. I had something lying around and taking up space so I figured I would make good use of it. I didn't reinvent the wheel I merely lost some height on a Hi-Lift.

Aaron
Perhaps the fact that you posted this in the "Offroad Tech" section is what is leading folks to wonder about your intentions.

Personally, it seems kind of silly to me, but, to each his own. I have a 60" and frequently wish it had a few more inches on it...
Old 09-02-2007, 07:20 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by FredTJ
The vast majority of people that use hi-lifts are "un-trained"..
The bottle jack is just as fast, even faster that times that I've seen hi-lifts used. By the time you get the hi-lift unbundled from where it's at, the axle strapped up and then the hi-lift in place and the vehicle lifted.
The bottle jack is very fast and you don't have to "crawl under the vehicle" to get in placed.
Almost every time that I've seen a hi-lift used it's just been beyond scary.

Fred
Yes, this hi Lift user (in FredTJ's example) is trying out for the Darwin Awards. However used properly a High Lift is a safe tool. My ARB bumper came with two spots on the front bumper designed to be used to lift the truck with a high lift.
There are many situations where a bottle jack just won't work. I carry both as I am sure the same goes for the majority of people who actually wheel their truck. Try using a bottle jack in a stream..great fun

As far as the OP's jack, good idea if it works for him, however I agree with this post--from the angle of the picture it looks like he has hit it right on the head:
Originally Posted by 86tuning
I like how the hi-lift fits in the back, but you might want to consider moving it further back so that the handle doesn't intrude on a rear passenger's head space. In the event of a side impact or roll, the left rear passenger could get seriously injured.

Last edited by dropzone; 09-02-2007 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:03 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I carry the stock jack, a bottle jack, and a 48" HiLift.

The HiLift is the last resort.

The 48" HiLift will fit sideways either at the back of the cargo area or along the front of the back seat, so why cut it down?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

Nice idea XC despite what some have said here... life handed you a lemon [busted jack] and you made lemonade [new shorty that fits inside] great use of ingenuity. and there are some situations where crawling on your hands and knees to place a bottle jack on the side of the road just isin't practical... like when you're in a suit for work or a night out for example but the shorty would let you stay 'cleaner' perhaps...
I would consider that note someone made about moving the thing back to increase pax safety but thats all...
Good mod and thanks for keeping the jack out of the landfill.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:51 AM

I think the jack was broken down to 38" thus why he "cut it down". Just trying to make use of an otherwise unusable tool. Better than nothing thats for sure
Old 09-02-2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
<SNIP>
and there are some situations where crawling on your hands and knees to place a bottle jack on the side of the road just isin't practical... like when you're in a suit for work or a night out for example but the shorty would let you stay 'cleaner' perhaps...
<SNIP>

Except that he still has to strap the axle up, and I bet that involves getting dirty
If he doesn't strap the axle up, then he's got to lift the vehicle way too high and thus is dangerous.

Good mod and thanks for keeping the jack out of the landfill.
Yup, there's always a use for something.

Fred
Old 09-02-2007, 12:19 PM

This really does seem to be a waste of time debating over, whether it's a good idea or not. I don't care either way, this is no more a safety issue than the current models that Hi-lift sells. It's just different thats all. I was showing what I did with what I had, I have a 48" that goes on the roof when I'm wheeling this was a quick easy solution for something I already have. As for strapping the axle throw the strap from in front of the tire to the rear and hook it up to the frame. If it's in the wrong place thread (yota tech wise) then I apologize and either you can move it or I'll delete and re-post.

Aaron
Old 09-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Moved from the Off Road section to the tools section since that seems like a better match for this thing.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:47 PM

Thank You.

Aaron