Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

California Law about turn signal lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California Law about turn signal lights

Does anyone know the law about the turn signals. I tried looking it up on the internet but they give me all the other states besides California. I see all kinds of cars/suvs with clear corner lights and such but I don't know it they are allowed. I remember hearing something awhile ago about they had to be an amber (I'm famous, I'm a color of a light bulb) color but if it still applys? I would like to get some for my 4Runner but I don't feel like being pulled over and dealing with a cop, they don't get along with me for some odd reason...

I don't really use this place so I might start. My names Amber and nice to meet you all.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:37 AM

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm
look under division 12

similiar thread
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...=clear+bumpers

and welcome to yotatech!

Last edited by CLin9383; 07-06-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:45 AM

Last time I checked front signals may be amber or clear, rear signals may be amber or red.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
opps i am too slow.... darn bosses walking in looking over my sholder.

if i remember correctly. rear turn signals can be red or amber. fronts can be white or amber. i am pretty sure the clear lenes are DOT approved as long as your running amber or clear bulbs.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the link and the help. I must of over looked it when I went there. I know CA is really strict on some stuff and I didn't know if they changed it yet. I know in most states its allowed but we have some... odd rules here.

Thanks for helping me. I'll try not to ask anymore lame questions.

Last edited by Amby; 07-06-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:58 AM

Here you go Amber...I used to live in the PRC so I know your concern.

24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:04 AM

I used to have a 1983 Volvo and when I went to take my drivers test, like 4 years ago er 3, I don't remember, one of my turn signal lights was white cause the orange peeled off and the man about had a fit. I had to go ALL the way home and use my Dads Jeep Cherokee.

I also didn't see that other thread. Oops. I tend to miss stuff cause I think my wireless internet is not working right today. A lot of stuff isn't loading today.

Now I just have to work on finding a rear bumper... Some guy in a F-250 backed into mine and its all... bent... and the great thing was... he didn't have a license plate, it was brand new. Heh! My luck.

Thanks everyone for helping me.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Amby
Now I just have to work on finding a rear bumper... Some guy in a F-250 backed into mine and its all... bent... and the great thing was... he didn't have a license plate, it was brand new. Heh! My luck.

Thanks everyone for helping me.
What year truck? You looking for a chrome bumper?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome. you shouldnt have any issues, as long as you use them
Old 07-06-2006, 01:00 PM

I have a '98 and its a crome bumper right? My avatar is my 4Runner. I don't know who hit it but its all... pushed in and is touching the spare tire thats underneath. I asked someone if they could pop it out but they said it would be expensive and I'm also picky. I'm sure I could find a nice one in a junk yard. But if you know of any sites or anything. My e-mail and SN on AIM is listed, just IM me or whatever.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Amber, remember the only really lame or stupid question is the one you DONT ask. I found this site by accident (sorry no pun intended) and I have found alot of really gr8 information and really gr8 people. I grew up in Carlsbad and used to do alot of 4wheelin back in the 70's. This site is full of tips and tricks that I am learning more and more about each day. So just keep asking questions no matter how lame someone else might think it is, there is probably some other reader who is wanting to know the same thing and is just to "lame" and scared to ask!
Old 07-09-2006, 09:37 AM

Well thanks and thanks to everyone who helped. Still kind of weird cause everyone asks me what I am going to do next to it and they are all like "clear lights with amber colored bulbs..." I want white and white and they keep saying you can't. I'm still going to do it though. If I get pulled over than I do.

I REALLY would like my dash light thingys to be blue... My Dad would have a fit if he had to help me with that though. I will have to live with the ugly green lights. Heh!
Old 07-09-2006, 01:28 PM

Being in socal, I would leave them amber, there is no since in giving the cops a reason to mess with you. Maybe look into the silverstar corner lights as they shine amber but appear to be clean in the housings.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Well thanks and thanks to everyone who helped. Still kind of weird cause everyone asks me what I am going to do next to it and they are all like "clear lights with amber colored bulbs..." I want white and white and they keep saying you can't. I'm still going to do it though. If I get pulled over than I do.
I run clear corners with amber LED bulbs, running clear bulbs will get you pulled over........
Old 07-10-2006, 11:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Amby, Just checked the DMV laws similar to Washington state RCW. Here is the "law" for turn signals:
"California Vehicle Code-Turn Signal Lamps
Section 24953.
(a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear."

Note: it says visible to the front-The corner lights on our trucks is located on the side and those corner lamps are not "visible" to the front. Thats why the signal lamps for turning are located in the front bumper so those lamps are considered "side-mounted" see section b.

"(b) Side-mounted turn signal lamps projecting a flashing amber light to either side may be used to supplement the front and rear turn signals. Side-mounted turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the center of the vehicle may project a flashing red light no part of which shall be visible from the front." http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24953.htm

Thats the law as it is written in California, so let your conscience be your guide.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:59 PM

Bleh, stupid rules. People in SO Cal don't even pay attention to the blinkers as it is... I tried looking into the silverstar lights but I kept finding the bulbs. The only thing is, my corner lights are mostly covered up with the grill. I don't even think you can see them from the side. You can see them in my avatar but I think if I take a picture of the side you won't see them, even if you look down the side from the rear. I think I will just go with the corner lights clear but with an amber bulb and the lenses on the bumper white. Since you can't really see the corner lights it shouldn't look too weird... I hope not.

I really didn't read that DMV thingy all the way through either. Thanks for making me read it again. I guess I kind of figured mine was ok.

My left blinker thingy is falling out anyways and I don't know why. Well its not really falling out but it kind of slips out and you have to push it back in, why I don't know. We tried fixing it and when we thought we fixed it, it popped out. Not a big deal but its something you notice and are like ah. I just want to make my 4Runner, pretty. Hehe!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:46 AM

Just go with the chrome colored bulbs that illuminate amber. You get a very clean look inside the clear covers but they illuminate amber. I have seen those at my local autopart store ,Burtman sells them and they are all over ebay.
Doesn't make much sense to me to make yourself an easy target!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Bleh, stupid rules. People in SO Cal don't even pay attention to the blinkers as it is...
Lol, I've come to the conclusion that no matter where you are, no one pays attention!

I'm moving back home to Encinitas at the end of the month... heard the weather's been hot and humid. Cant wait
Old 07-11-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried looking into the silverstar lights but I kept finding the bulbs.
:complain:

maybe try colored blinker fluid.
usually confuses the cops enough that they forget to write a ticket.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:38 AM

What I will probably end up doing.

Its very hot and humid. Its really icky. The water is warm though so I'm happy about that.

LMAO! We need blue blinkers... Or pink. Maybe then it will get peoples attention.