86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re Crack under crankshaft bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re Crack under crankshaft bearing

Hello,
​​​​​​
first time posting here. New to engine building and I always like to learn as I go and buy getting my hands dirty.
I picked up this 22re for a rebuild project and the only issue was it was seized, everything else looked good so I got it anyways hoping for the best.

I tore it all down and kept everything organized, when i was taking out the pistons and crankshaft I found a spun(melted/fused) rod bearing

And a spun crank bearing

No big deal those are easily replaced/fixed so that's not my main question.

I cleaned up the bearing seats(bearing journals? I don't know what you would call this) and found there to be a small crack on both sides of the oil passage.

​​So my question: is this fixable? Has anyone fixed this before? What are the costs? Block done for?

Good bearing seat(?) for reference

​​​​​​
Also what is this spot on the block called? I'd like to be able to research better if I know the terms.

Any information is appreciated and I hope these pictures work.

Thank you.
​​​​​
Old 04-08-2023, 03:25 PM

Received 846 Likes on 565 Posts
I think i would call that a main journal “web”. I don’t know what would cause the crack or how serious it is. I would have to ask the machinist.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:08 PM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
Good eye. I've never seen that before. It can't be good and I don't think I'd put my money into that block but I would ask a machinist.
Old 04-09-2023, 05:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
When I don't know what to call something, I search for "thing anatomy". Most of the time it's because I forgot what it's called or in the case of actual anatomy - never did know.

crankshaft anatomy

What did the bearing races look like at the main journal where the crack is? If it looked good then I would assume it was being oiled properly. To me, it depends on how the engine will be used and how much money there is in the budget. That crack might have been there for many, many miles.

super nice pics!
Old 04-09-2023, 08:18 AM
YT Community Team

Received 858 Likes on 607 Posts
I'd find somebody that could magnaflux the block. that would give you the answer you need. I can’t tell very well from the side photo if the “crack” extends very far.

Though many things can be repaired, I don’t think it’s worth the cost. I’d go to a yard and pull an engine to rebuild if that crack is an issue.

Last edited by Jimkola; 04-09-2023 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ayelex
Hello,
​​​​​​
first time posting here. New to engine building and I always like to learn as I go and buy getting my hands dirty.
I picked up this 22re for a rebuild project and the only issue was it was seized, everything else looked good so I got it anyways hoping for the best.

I tore it all down and kept everything organized, when i was taking out the pistons and crankshaft I found a spun(melted/fused) rod bearing

And a spun crank bearing

No big deal those are easily replaced/fixed so that's not my main question.

I cleaned up the bearing seats(bearing journals? I don't know what you would call this) and found there to be a small crack on both sides of the oil passage.

​​So my question: is this fixable? Has anyone fixed this before? What are the costs? Block done for?

Good bearing seat(?) for reference

​​​​​​
Also what is this spot on the block called? I'd like to be able to research better if I know the terms.

Any information is appreciated and I hope these pictures work.

Thank you.
Spoiler

​​​​​

Have you resolved it?

Last edited by RobertBailey; 04-21-2023 at 09:41 AM.