Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires

Hey evyerbody...
I got a bit of a dilema....i have a choice between Goodyear M/T's Or Bfgoodrich M/T's i have heard pros and cons for both so if anyboyd has any info or some choices for me that would be great thanks.
Cody
Old 02-28-2004, 05:02 AM

Im just gonna throw my 2 cents in here from personal experiance. Every Toyota truck or 4Runner i have had has had BFG's on them and i love them. I have tried the Goodyears and have never liked them. So for me any BFG would be good for me!
Old 02-28-2004, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

It's according to what kind of terrain you drive over. If you have a bunch of slick deep mud go with BFG's, If you do a lot of rock crawling go with the Goodyear MT/R's. I have BFG's and love them. They ride great on the road. I've also heard about a lot of guy having problems getting the Goodyear's to balance.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:59 AM

I am trying to make the same choose. I want the goodyears because they look better to me. But I think the BFG's will work better for me here in NC and southern VA. But the most important part for me is that I want the best riding MT. Every one says to get the Bridestone but they dont make 305/70/16 so I think I am going to get the BFG's from costco.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may want to check the new Firestone Destination M/Ts. They are a fairly new tire, and are simply amazing. I ride with about 5 guys now and we all use them. They grab on anything, throw mud like they're a shovel, still ride damn nice on the road, and after 10k, look like no treadwear. They have the rim guard protector, mucho-ply sidewalls, and look DAMN NICE.

Take a look at the pic on tire rack. Just my 2 cents :-)

Originally Posted by 4runner4me
I am trying to make the same choose. I want the goodyears because they look better to me. But I think the BFG's will work better for me here in NC and southern VA. But the most important part for me is that I want the best riding MT. Every one says to get the Bridestone but they dont make 305/70/16 so I think I am going to get the BFG's from costco.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

BFG's all the way...better tread life too! MT/R's I had were great and all, but every time I walked past em, I swear another %5 disappeared.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:47 AM

more concerns

Thanks everybody for the help so far....i have heard that BFG's got better tread tread life compared to the Goodyears and they cost less aswell which is a plus for my low income life....but i heard that the BFG's are horrible in the snow and the goodyears are great...that concerns me becasue i life in northern BC ( Williams Lake) althought spring is here....also the type of terrain i life in is basically everything except extreme rock crawlin...theres always mud everywhere which i like the most but then another KM down the tail and your into an uphill that is covered in rocks....Are the BFG's good on sharp rocks are will they punture easy? thanks again everybody
Cody
Old 02-28-2004, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyDiamond
You may want to check the new Firestone Destination M/Ts. They are a fairly new tire, and are simply amazing. I ride with about 5 guys now and we all use them. They grab on anything, throw mud like they're a shovel, still ride damn nice on the road, and after 10k, look like no treadwear. They have the rim guard protector, mucho-ply sidewalls, and look DAMN NICE.

Take a look at the pic on tire rack. Just my 2 cents :-)
How's the noise with your Destinations? Are they noisy like most other MT's or less noisy?

The Destination MT's ranked #1 by TireRack for their Extreme terrain tire comparison. It recieved high marks for every catagory on the list. The Dueler MT, Wrangler MTR, and BFG MT were also in the top 5.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

I will be having to make this same decision when I get my lift and I think I'll be opting for the BFG's...they're cheaper, better on-road, better treadwear and better in the mud...sounds like a winner to me!

Fink
Old 02-28-2004, 04:14 PM

I'll agree with most of the others - go with the BFG. They seem to wear very well , are cheaper , and work well in alot of different conditions.
Richard
Old 02-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

I've got that choice to make now also. I'm going BFG.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:15 PM

Still may want to check the Firestones I mentioned above. They're 25 bucks per tire cheaper than the BFGs and even more aggressive looking.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:52 PM

My .02 worth.... I just wore out my first set of MT/R's and they were great. They rode nice and I never had a balance problem. They did wear pretty fast, I only got about 25k on them, but they kicked butt off-road. I am putting on a set of the new Firestone Destination MT's on Monday and have heard nothing but good reviews about them, and they were way cheaper than the MT/R. In a study of all the top brands of off-road tires, the Firestone came out on top, above the MT/R and way above the BFG.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Memphis_Yota
Hey evyerbody...
I got a bit of a dilema....i have a choice between Goodyear M/T's Or Bfgoodrich M/T's i have heard pros and cons for both so if anyboyd has any info or some choices for me that would be great thanks.
Cody
If you're gonna see any mud, get the BFG's.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:12 PM

Thanks TacoBell. I sometimes think people are just a tad bit too hung up on BFGs. They make good tires, but there definitely are better out there, and often for cheaper!
Old 02-28-2004, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

From what I understand the BFGs have thicker or more resilient sidewalls than the Goodyears.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:14 AM

Well i was leaning more towards the BFG's but i heard they are bad in the snow but the goodyears are awesome in the snow...and since i live in snow country i just wanted to make sure that i was buying a good all around tire...thanks
cody
Old 02-29-2004, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by TacoBell
My .02 worth.... I just wore out my first set of MT/R's and they were great. They rode nice and I never had a balance problem. They did wear pretty fast, I only got about 25k on them, but they kicked butt off-road. I am putting on a set of the new Firestone Destination MT's on Monday and have heard nothing but good reviews about them, and they were way cheaper than the MT/R. In a study of all the top brands of off-road tires, the Firestone came out on top, above the MT/R and way above the BFG.
Cool, gotta check out your new tires. Too bad you won't match all of us at the Surf n Turf now It was a MT/R convention!

I saw Charles (Calrockx) truck (it looks more awesome in person!) has MT/R's and he got 25K on them but still has a good amount of tread left.

I feel weird about Firestone because of the whole Ford Exploder thing. I know it probably was due to the inflation issue but they have been kicking each other in the balls so long it's confusing who is to blame.
Look forward to your impressions Brad
Old 02-29-2004, 07:42 AM

I just saw a truck yesterday that had the Firestones on it. Granted, he was running 37's or something close (they were HUGE), but they looked damn nice! If I don't like them, Firestone has a 30 no hassle warranty, so I'll just return them for something else.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:13 AM

To RalleRunner:

Yeah, man. They (Firestone Destination M/Ts) are great on road! Hardly any noise more than my old highway tires. They take the rain very well, too. I've hit some standing water 8-12" deep at 40-55 mph and they just squirt it out the sides...no hydroplaning or anything.

Incidentally, I found a 2.5 inch nail stuck in last month - straight in, too. No leaks even when I pulled it! WOW!

Sticky on wet ground, yet great treadwear.

All around FAR superior to the BFGs I used to run. I was deciding between MT/Rs and these and had several friends running MTRs tell me that their MTRs were a much better all-terrain tire...packed up too much in the soft stuff. Good in snow, though.

Can't recommend them enough. I think some people are wary of Firestone due to the recalls, but honestly, ˟˟˟˟ happens. I would be willing to bet most of the blowouts were due to inflation issues anyways. The idiots driving explorers and expeditions don't know how to work on their cars, let alone chekc the pressure in their tires :-)

There are alternatives to BFG and GY :-)