Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re intake manifold bolts problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re intake manifold bolts problem

Does anyone know of a a place where I could look up or find out what bolts and nuts go where on the intake manifold. Being naive about engine / machine work, when I dissassembled the engine, I tried to put every bolt / nut back into place so that way I didn't have to keep track of what goes where. I also took pictures of everything that I thought I needed, but I did not on the bolt locations for the above stated reason. So, when I get to the machine shop and find out that all of the bolts and nuts have to come off, and they get thrown into a big bag, I quickly found out that I am kind of screwed.

I recall reading on here that some of the bolts have very specific locations and damage will occur if they are not placed in the right location.

I have the FSM and the only thing that I can find has to do with the seven bolts, one hex bolt, and two nuts. I am drawing a blank as to where all of this goes and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jpoe

I recall reading on here that some of the bolts have very specific locations and damage will occur if they are not placed in the right location.
what you are referring to is the timing cover/oil pump/water pump bolts not the intake manifold bolts.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 AM

So, if the bolts are the right size and length, go for it?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jpoe
I have the FSM and the only thing that I can find has to do with the seven bolts, one hex bolt, and two nuts. I am drawing a blank as to where all of this goes and any help would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like your right that these belong on the intake manifold. I will do my best to describe these locations for you, If I am incorrect someone please chime in:

The hex bolt goes on your lower part of the intake mani that is bolted to the head, specificaly it will go into the bolt hole that is below your tstat housing

the 2 nuts should be for the upper and lower intake mani connection and would thread over 2 studs at the very bottom of the upper intake where it meets the lower part of the intake mani. the upper should slide over these studs and the nuts will secure upper and lower mani

the other seven bolts are for the rest of that connection, 4 of them for the upper to lower connection, right above whree the studs were, and then the other 3 should be for the lower mani to head connection. If your in the medford area anytime soon and want to take a look, shoot me a pm....
Old 11-17-2010, 11:25 AM

Neato! I guess I should call the machine shop and find out where my studs are for the intake manifold, and then I will try to figure out where the studs go before proceeding. Note to self, take more pictures! Take more pictures!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If in fact you are talking about the intake manifold (xxxtreme said they could be timing cover bolts and he knows his stuff) if you standing at the passenger side of the truck looking across to the driver side, on the manifold you will see 6 bolt holes where upper and lower manifold meets (theres a gasket in there too) the bottom 2 bolts should be where your studs go

this pic has the lower part of the intake bolted on, you can see the studs on the lower intake kind of sticking out at the very bottom, if you look real close at the right hand side of the tstat housing you can see where that long hex bolt goes too, the rest just fill in all of the holes, hope this help

Last edited by OrRunner; 11-17-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I was just commenting on what he had said about reading about placing things in some spot not to break anything. Because some of those timing cover bolts are too long and will interfere with the operation of some stuff behind the timing cover. They will actually thread all the way in. It's only actually only one bolt though. The one in the center of the cover. Can't remember which one off-hand nor do I remember off hand with what it interferes with.

I am sure the bolts he has in question are most likely for the intake manifold.