Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'92 OME upgrade riding HORRIBLY rough

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'92 OME upgrade riding HORRIBLY rough

Hello Everyone,

About 2 months ago completed a OME 2.5" lift on my 1uz V8 swapped 92 4x4 yota pickup. When I did the swap I also added 1.5" ball joint spacers to relieve the CV's, brand new OME shocks, CV's and upper and lower balljoints, 1" body lift during the swap with brand new bushings all around, inner and outer tie and an alignment. Ever since the lift the trucks ride HORRIBLY bumpy/rough, far more then it should and far worse then it rode on the old stock setup(with blown out shocks and drooping leafs on the old one), I have driven lifted leaf sprung trucks before and know there is some added roughness every time you lift but this is far far far more then normal, to the point where if I hit a bump the throttle is all over the place because the truck is moving so much from my foot and the vehicle moving, its fine for short drives but almost undrivable long distance and definitely can't have an open drink in the cupholder or even keep my head against the headrest without it slamming back and forth.

I did not use heavy duty springs and used there medium level springs, it has been about 3 months since the install and I drive around with about 200LBS of sand bags in the back to try to help mitigate some of the bounce. I have 31" tires and have tried riding with the PSI lower which helped a tiny bit but not much. My torsion bars are barely tightened at all and far far far less cranked then the ones I took off, they are currently almost untightened as far as possible, I know this is a common problem so I continued to loosen them to no real success at any level of tight or not tight.

Does anyone have any insight here on what might be going on? Everything on this truck suspension wise is new/upgraded from the old completely blown out setup but somehow rides immensely worse now even a month or two after this upgrade.

Thanks,
Sam

Old 04-08-2024, 07:35 AM
YT Community Team

Received 857 Likes on 606 Posts
I hated mine. I ended up pulling them out, grabbing my old Toyota springs, and swapping in one leaf from the OME pack. That was the best combo I could come up with to salvage the investment.
I have read where some took a single leaf out of the OME pack and that helped. Not sure which leaf though.

Edit: one thing's for sure. If you install OME leaf springs, rear shocks will last forever. Never get used

Last edited by Jimkola; 04-10-2024 at 06:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sam12843 (04-08-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Jimkola;52494104]I hated mine. I ended up pulling them out, grabbing my old Toyota springs, and swapping in one leaf from the OME pack. That was the best combo I could come up with to salvage the investment.
I have read where some took a single leaf out of the OME pack and that helped. Not sure which leaf though.

I appreciate the insight, definitely leaning towards this at this point. After an extremely disappointing month long ticket with ARB they said the symptoms are abnormal (which I disagree with because clearly its a prevalent issue) and that they are unable to determine a root cause. Im going to start by pulling a leaf out of each pack sinch im usually either unloaded or under 200 LBS and see how it sits, I have also read some reports that the nitro charger shocks can actually account for a lot of the stiffness but not too sure on that one and I will wait until I pull a leaf

Overall super disappointing performance out of a nearly 3 thousand dollar suspension kit, I can't even have a drink in the cupholder without it going flying. Its like all of the bumps, potholes and rocks are not being absorbed or dampened whatsoever and sent straight to the cab on the road. Even mild off-roading with the truck so far is way too stiff and doesn't absorb any minor drops/

Old 04-30-2024, 07:54 AM
YT Community Team

Received 857 Likes on 606 Posts
I think OME is ok for those going big and are doing SO much suspension mods that it was going to ride hard no matter what springs they put on.
If someone is trying to have performance similar to what Toyota intended I think OME is a long ways away. And OME should just tell perspective buyers this, rather than act surprised and make suggestions they know from past customer input that'll do little. I've seen comments about this all the time here, and on other forums. To say your the only one is rather disingenuous. That, or actually come out with a milder spring pack that is intended for stock height and ride comfort.