86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Joe's 1987 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you're able to finish up this stage! I'm in Georgia right now and it's been nice weather here this weekend as well.

That's just about the last of the mechanical work, right? Doing the bodywork will definitely be a lot more rewarding, I know myself and arlindsay can attest to that.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:47 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, very close to being finished with the drivetrain. I need to replace the front section of the emergency brake cable and a couple of little things here and there but I am now shifting most my focus to the body work. I have no experience doing body work so I am once again feeling some of the same apprehension that I felt as I pulled the motor and transmission out. Fortunately, I feel confident that I can figure it out.
The plan is to get the other quarter panel removed, windshield pulled out, finish pulling the interior and then repair and paint as I reassemble everything. In my mind it seems like this is the home stretch- like it shouldn't be too bad. However, based on my experience with what I've done so far I am anticipating that this phase of the job will take longer than I expect.
All that being said, I am still thoroughly enjoying this project!
Old 08-04-2016, 02:33 PM

Today was somewhat productive- for the first time since I've owned this truck is has a functional parking brake! It's not stock, I had to improvise a little with some parts from Lowes, but it works. I even parked it on a hill to see how well it holds; not too bad!
Another thing checked off the list.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:25 AM

Still here, 4runner is coming along nicely
Just yell when ready
Old 08-07-2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by SwVa_1stGen
Still here, 4runner is coming along nicely
Just yell when ready
Yes, I will call you tomorrow!
Old 08-08-2016, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
If we ever get these things road ready we all need to get together for a test drive.
Yes that would be cool
That boy has that one from Henderson back on CL there was still a bunch of stuff on it when I got the tailgate

Old 08-12-2016, 12:42 PM

I had big plans for this weekend. I thought I would get my quarter panels installed but I'm now feeling like that won't happen quite yet. I ended up having to work most of the day yesterday, which I had not planned on, so I just practiced with my new welder.
I did have most of the day today and I managed to get the second quarter removed:

My goal for tomorrow is to get everything prepped for the installation of the new fiberglass quarters.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:44 PM

I made some progress today.
A grinder to the top of the rails where the quarters will sit:

Then I pulled it out into the drive, power washed and degreased the inner body, POR'd the wheel arches inside and out, sanded and painted and drove it up in the sun:

Just about ready to install the new quarters!
Old 08-13-2016, 06:00 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Your work looks good. It's been pretty hot for this kind of work.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:17 AM

Thanks Nervo. It has been pretty hot, however that is one of the advantages of living up in the mountains- it's generally a good ten degrees less hot than down the mountain. Not as humid up here either.
Speaking of down the mountain, I've been thinking about a trip down to Harbor Freight to buy those 9,000 clamps I'm going to need... Even with the 2x4 I will need a bunch of clamps, you're right.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:01 AM

I had a couple of hours before work today so Emmylou and I worked on my doors.
Got them opened up and cleaned:

I lubricated the crank mechanism, put PBBlaster on the rubber and thoroughly cleaned all the weather stripping, degreased the inside of the doors and added the Frost King peel and stick duct installation.

Still some work to do on them. I popped out some minor dents and I damaged the backboard on the interior panels pulling them off the door. I will also clean and paint some of the parts. At least a little work got done...
Old 08-25-2016, 12:59 PM

More work on the doors today. Got all the paint off, also found some old body work- a fair amount of filler in a couple sections of the passenger door. Not sure what the repair was for, rust removal maybe? I got rid of it all just in case it was nasty underneath, got everything down to good metal!
Next I will clean them up around the edges and start with the filler. After seeing the success Arlindsay had with the spray can primer I am leaning towards that approach.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:22 PM

First adventures with Bondo:

It's taking several applications but I feel good about the progress. Next I hope to remove the windshield and get going on that section of the truck.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:51 AM

A little more:

My oldest daughter "didn't know it was still wet":

I'm considering leaving it.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:53 AM

Ugh.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:20 PM

Ugh. Is that a bunch of bondo?
Old 09-07-2016, 04:00 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Yeah, looks like thick body filler.
That chrome trim really promotes rust. That's why I removed mine.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:54 AM

Yep. Lots of filler and rust. I'm way open to suggestions on this one- it has been making me feel sick to my stomach.
I'm going to start by getting the windshield out and cleaning it really well. See what I'm really dealing with. I'm worried this may be beyond my abilities.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by ladybugRC
... it has been making me feel sick to my stomach.
I thought I was the only one who got that. Sometimes you have to take a step back and recalculate.

I was doing the deep google thing last night and I found an old thread of someone who took their truck to Toyotafiberglass and had him put the quarters on. He also replaced the A pillars with metal. It looked like he had some so check with Slacker. I guess you'll need someone who welds. Here's the thread:

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthr...te_id/1#import
Old 09-08-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by ladybugRC
...I'm going to start by getting the windshield out and cleaning it really well.
Surroundings of my windshield, including pinch-weld were not too bad but after repairing rust spots and re-painting, new glass still leaked at one corner. When I have the time to deal with it, not sure whether layers of rust-converter/POR-15, then primer, then paint would be a good base for the windshield install so I want to ask the manufacturer of windshield (urethane) adhesive which would be best surface for urethane to adhere to. I think the less number of required layers between the metal and the windshield adhesive, the better. Therefore, I hope adhesive manufacturer says POR-15 is a good base. That would be great.

ladybugRC, if you find out any into regarding this, please share.

Quick Reply: Joe's 1987 4Runner