Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

New Computer HELP - "Page cannot be displayed"

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Churnd
Make sure if you do any of this, that you do it WIRED!!!! You can and probably will lock yourself out of your router if you mess with it's settings wirelessly. I've been there and done that. You can get around it by doing a master reset which is usually done by holding down the reset button for 10 seconds or something like that, but you'll lose all your settings that you've done previously.
I dont understand how you can lock yourself out of the router as long as you record the password as I mentioned.....I have 3 wireless computers and none have ever been wired too the router....that kinda defeats the purpose of wireless if you can wire it up, unless you mean lugging a desktop across your house I guess....
Old 01-27-2005, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Maybe I was too vague...

1. Log into the router http://192.168.1.1...username is blank, password is 'admin'

2. Change the SSID to whatever you like, your name, anything, record it. SSID is just the name of the router and it isnt important but other people will be able to see if unless you dont broadcast it. So dont make the SSID a password or anything, just a name.

3. Goto Wireless tab, then too security...Change security from Open too WEP

4. Type in your password then click Generate Key

5. Pick one of the 4 passwords that was generated and record it, also remember which number that password is 1 is at the top and 4 is at the bottom. Its important you know which number you have.

6. Click Save changes. You will be disconnected at this time. Since you havent completed the instructions.

7. Open Network Connection, right click Wireless connection, click Properties.

8. Click the Wireless Network Tab

9. Click Add

10. Enter the SSID, routers name that you recorded earlier

11. Set Network Authentication to Open

12. Set Data Encryption to WEP

13. Uncheck 'The key is provided for me automatically'

14. Set Network Key to the password you recorded eariler (from the key generation) confirm that same key under it.

15. Now change the Key Index 1-4 to the same key number you picked from the key generation. 1 was at the top 4 was at the bottom.

16. Click OK until your out of all the screens. Now for good luck reboot the computer and turn the power off to the router and back on.

17. When you reboot everything should work fine, if for some reason it doesnt connect. Click the wireless icon by the clock and click 'View all wireless networks'...Select the one that has the routers name you just made and click it and click connect. It may ask for a password, just enter the password you recorded earlier.

Thats all there is too it. Step 17 happened to me for some weird reason one time a long time ago, I seriously doubt it will happen too you but just inscase it does you'll know what too do....
Old 01-27-2005, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CynicX
I dont understand how you can lock yourself out of the router as long as you record the password as I mentioned.....I have 3 wireless computers and none have ever been wired too the router....that kinda defeats the purpose of wireless if you can wire it up, unless you mean lugging a desktop across your house I guess....
Any good network admin will tell you to never change settings on a router wirelessly.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

You shouldn't do it wirelessly, but being the naughty boy I am I've done it both ways. Of course I always had a wired computer on the network too, and I have Cat-5 lying around all the time.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It definitely can be done, but unless you know exactly what you're doing, you're gonna create more problems for yourself.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

I never knew that....if that would have been in my wireless directions I wouldnt have bought it since it would have been impossible to wire the computer too the router without 100 ft of cat 5...or 100 ft of coax....in either case if I had a 100 ft of wire I would have hard wired it anyway.....

But in all seriousness those are the directions from Linksys...just in my words....for ease of typing....