Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Mcafee version 8 verses version 6

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Mcafee version 8 verses version 6

Last night my version 6 of Mcafee expired.
To get DAT file updates you can either buy a subscription to version 5 or 7, but not 6.
What the hell was up with that?

I already had version 8 on a store purchased CD, just had not got around to putting it on.
Let me tell you, if you are running version 6, 8 is way better.

After building my PC a year ago in August, I noticed each time upon start up that even after the Mcafee shield loads down by the system clock I could not access my Explorer (not to be confused with IE) to see files, and I could not even access the Start button and its contents until about 40 seconds or more after Mcafee loaded.

I always suspected it had something to do with Mcafee, and sure enough after uninstalling version 6 last night I rebooted and was able to access the Explorer and the Start menu just fine.
Mcafee 6 was holding the PC hostage perhaps as it did some scanning upon boot up.

After putting on version 8 last night, that scenario went away.
I can now access anything with lightening speed upon Windows entry.
Version 8 is much more friendly than version 6.

I know there are many here that do not like Mcafee, but I have been using it for years and also it is used exclusively by the Boeing company, so I feel if it is good enough for the worlds largest aerospace manufacturer, it has to be good enough for me.
I do have the paid version of AVG version 7 on my other two PCs, but I prefer Mcafee over AVG.

Just thought I would share this tip if anyone is running version 6 and their machine acts weird upon boot up.
Version 8 clears this up entirely.

Mcafee has protected me many a time from emails that contain viruses.
And for those who do not run a virus scanner, shame on you
There are now viruses that are built into websites you visit, they can infect you upon opening up that page.
Better safe than sorry.

And yes, I continue daily to get viruses sent to me from an infected user form the forum here who's poor computer is being used to broadcast viruses to others.
The PC in question is infected and sends out emails to all in his/hers address book.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:48 PM
Away

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's cool Corey. I'm glad you're happy with it. But, I have better things to spend my money on.

I remove viruses with the FREE version of AVG on a daily basis from people's computers who are running McAffee or Norton and have all the latest updates. I don't know whether you know this or not, but there are a LOT of viruses out there that specifically target Norton and McAffee and then prevent them from finding and/or removing those viruses.

There's no perfect Antivirus program, but I think AVG is the best one. Plus, it's FREE. It's what I personally use on ALL my computers. It's the fastest, has the least effect on system performance and seems to me to have the best virus detection capabilities. After installing AVG for all of these people, I have yet to have one of them call me back to tell me they're infected with viruses again. This includes businesses.

I think McAffee and Norton and any other pay per Antivrus solutions for home users are a huge scam. They make you pay for the software, then they make you pay to keep using it. What's wrong with that logic? It's like buying a book, then having to pay to keep reading it. No thanks.

My .02
G
Old 09-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Good points on the virus punkheads attacking the big makers Galen.

But how long do you think it will be until they start writting their code to infect AVG and the other alternative antivirus progs?
Old 09-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Away

Exclamation

There's a lot of reasons in your first post that outline why McAfee sucks, IMHO. So, since someone like me thinks it sucks, don't you think that's one of the reasons why hackers write code just to mess with it? It's easy to break.

I saw that you mentioned having some fun with SP2 and McAfee in another thread. You had to install a newer version of McAfee, a program that YOU PAID FOR, so that Service Pack 2 for Windows XP would recognize that you had an AV program installed. Not to mention the fact that you also had to PAY to keep updating it only to have to BUY another version at some point because the original no longer worked. And you're okay with that...

By the way, SP2 recognizes the FREE version of AVG as valid... Plus, look at all the performance issues you had to deal with. That doesn't happen with AVG, either. That ought to say volumes about your choice in AV software, Corey. I'm not trying to be a d*ck, but dude, c'mon. You're not alone in this, I see this kind of stuff every day.

In the past, having to support McAfee from an OEM's perspective when I used to work for Dell, we saw THOUSANDS of computers Windows' installations rendered inoperable from McAfee updates. Your own experience with SP2 and the subscription "Dilemma" tells me that they still suck when it comes to updates. So, Dell started shipping PC's with Norton installed instead. That solved a lot of support calls for certain problems while creating a whole slew of new ones. I run into "issues" with Norton products on a daily basis as well. One of them is the E X T R E M E L Y slow boot time with NAV installed. I mean geez, get your act together Norton.

I love it when people have Norton System Works installed. I get to charge them more money because I have to spend more time dealing with all the crap that Norton breaks. That's not really true, I don't like to take advantage of people. I feel bad for them as it is. But, I'm just trying to make a point. If people would stop buying this crap, I'd have a lot less work to do. But the internet would be a lot better place, also.

As for a corporation's choice of AV software, part of my job is tracking down a LOT of email spams filled with viruses from various companies. The reason I have to track them down is so I can notify their ISP so they can call them and tell them to fix their ˟˟˟˟˟ or risk being kicked off the 'net. Almost ALL of these companies are running some sort of "Corporate" version of McAfee or Norton and yet, they still get hit with viruses and then their infected computers spam the rest of the world with them, even when they're fully updated. Not once have I found any of them to be running something less mainstream. I have nothing but contempt for software companies who get by selling software that is so ineffective at doing what it's supposed to be doing.

The companies who do run the alternate solutions seem to be contributing a LOT less to virus propagation and I have nothing but admiration for both the users of the "better" software and the companies who make it. Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's the best. People buy Norton and McAfee because that's what OEM PC manufacturers put on their machines. They're ubiquitous. So, since Uncle Joe said to buy Norton/McAfee because that's what his Compaq/HP/Gateway/Dell has, they buy it.

This subject is a real sore point with me, in case you can't tell. I know you feel strongly about McAfee and think it's a good product. I just wanted to bring up the counter-point.

My .02
G
Old 09-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

I've had good luck with McAfee and am running version 7. I think version 6 had some install problems when the windows install language was set for Canadian english. You had to run an update, but couldn't run the update before mcafee was running. I took some creative work to get it to go.
Funny that you mention Norton System works. I last tried one of those Norton product back in the windows 95 era and it buggered up a perfectly good windows 95 installation.
In my opinion Norton made usefull tools in the dos days with PCTools and later Norton Tools. I used to use the PCTools diskedit program to manually edit the directory structure on the harddrive which allowed me to hide directories. I think I was about 15 and at that time I still had time to mess around with stuff like that.

I agree with Galen that virus makers will target the more common software. That's also why I like linux and OS/2. There is just less problems for the same reasons AVG is not targeted. I've had an instance where a machine with AVG was infected, and McAfee cleaned it right up. I guess that's when I stuck with McAfee since I had good luck with it. I am sure every piece of software has its downfalls and you use wath you're comfortable with.