Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Headphones for MP3 players

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Headphones for MP3 players

Doing more research on MP3 players, and most come with earbuds.
I hear the ones that come with the iPods are pretty decent, but what if a person wants some better quality headphones?

Saw link in my C/Net newsletter I get, and the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros sound like a good choice.

Here is the link to a few differnet models.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Headphones/4...tml?tag=subnav

The HD 280s are the 2nd ones down.

Does anyone own any of the ones in the review link, or have a brand and model they like for an MP3 player?
Old 12-11-2005, 12:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do you wanna spend Corey? You can spend anywhere from $5 to $1200 (no lie, I have a buddy that did this) on buds. There will be a huge difference between $20 & $80; $80 & $150; $150 & 400... past that, it's mostly about being able to brag about the pricetag. (imo)

In all seriousness, you need to take the quality of YOUR hearing into account, and how much longer it will stay "as is" versus continuing to degrade.

For example, as I come up on being 45, and knowing the volume that I've subjected my ear canal to over the years, I know my hearing's "downgraded" (hah!) and it's more important to me to find a player with a good EQ system that I can use to tweak to how I actually hear.

What that boils down to is that I'm pretty happy with spending $20 on buds - I would NEVER spend over $100. Now some folks will feel otherwise. For example my 25yo buddy, with much better hearing than I, found a reason to spend $1200 on a set of custom fit electrostatic earbuds. eek.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:02 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Not over $100, that is for sure.
I have seen the Shure earbuds advertised, those were around $300 or so.

But what I am thinking about is "real headphones", not earbuds.
I would think with a quality set the bass response would be much better.

Also I would be using the player mainly for exercise walking.
What works better as far as staying in and not falling off/out?
Earbuds, or a decent designed set of headphones that has adjustable headbands to keep them on tight?

I had my hearing tested (mandatory) at the first of my two Boeing orientations, and they said my hearing was very good.
I thought it would have degraded in the four years I was off from there, and I was exposed to loud jet engines daily for the past several months at my old job.

Here is a video review on the upper Shures, they have a few models for the earbud type.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Shure_E4c/45...l?tag=topprods
Old 12-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Well after trying the stock ones that come with an iPod a guy had at work, they sounded good.
But...
To get good bass with the stock earbud, you have to hold them against your ear, and you would look silly doing that.

He mentioned the other type of earbuds like the Shures and Sonys that go into your ear canal like a foam earplug.

Looking again on C/Net these cost less than $50 Sony EX71Sl seem to be a good choice.

Readers opinion
http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_MDR_EX7...2891&tag=uolst

C/Nets review
http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_MDR_EX7...2.html?tag=nav
Old 12-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking at the Sony ones that go in your ear, they've black with two different sized actual buds that you can choose...they look pretty decent, although the ones I saw were like $29.95 at my University's computer store.

I just got a Nano and I'm looking for a little better sound quality as well...let me know what you find Corey, I'll be watchin!

Fink
Old 12-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

More reviews here Fink
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRa...82E16826159208

Notice how one cord is shorter than the other one, and some are complaining.
It is suppose to be shorter, and one guy in the review explains how to use the cord, as well as on C/Net.

Amazon has them for $26, Best Buy by me wants almost $50.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

I have some really nice Sennheiser ones with noise cancelling, but if I had to do it over again I'd get the $50 sony Fontopia ones. My mom & wife both have them, and the way they seal into the ear is better than noise cancelling, plus they are way more comfortable than the regular hard ear buds. Easy choice unless you want to try to $$$ shure audiophile types.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

Got 'em and already love them! I haven't even messed with my EQ yet, bass is amazing, treble is awesome and they fit PERFECTLY and are VERY comfortable.

10 out of 10 here guys...now granted Corey, you seem to be more of an audiophile than I am so I am sorry if you notice some things that I do not but I promise they are 20 times better than the standard iPod earbuds.

I got them from my University Comp. store for $28.97 out to door!

Fink

EDIT: Oh yeah about the cord, I'm not really sure how anybody can complain as it is VERY obvious that it is supposed to wrap around the back of your head first before going into your ear but you know...there are some interesting people out there. Either way, its fine, perfect length of cord. I will let you know tomorrow morning after my morning trip to the gym how well they stay put.

Last edited by Fink; 12-14-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I can not find them for less than $45 around here.
Will mail order them some day.

Glad to hear they are very good.
I like deep bass, and with them fitting in tight like earplugs, that really helps with the bass and staying in.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

If you want, I can get you a pair from my University store for 29.95 + tax and just drop em in the mail...lol...may not be all THAT much cheaper but ya know...just a thought.

Fink
Old 12-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks, but by the time you add in tax and shipping...it would be close to $40.
I will find them cheaper than the current $45 around here.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:46 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I too have these and are happy with them I use them mostly when riding the motorcycle and using the iPod on longer trips, does well sealing out alot of engine/wind noise but you can still hear sirens and horns outside, and for teh price you can't beat it really.