Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Apple iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:49 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah the fact that apple is holding the ability to extend it, no removeable battery, and questionable file support....makes me question its worthiness.

i dont like apple products in general though so just ignore me.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
$600 with one year of service, out in June.
oops... looks like the $600 is for the 8gb model, there's a 4gb for $500.

Cingular's announcement and pricing/availability info is here:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/10/c...es-for-iphone/
Old 01-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a very cool product but it is missing a few key features

battery life is 15 hours of music playback or 4 hours of video..so i imagine it will need to be charged atleast everyday since many people will use the music and video features.

No removable battery is a HUGE problem. I have two batteries for my phone and it makes things MUCH easier for me. The iphone battery won't last too long since it will need to be charged and recharged so often and not having a replaceable battery is a big issue.

No 3G support is pretty lame. MANY of cingular's newer phones have this and it makes a big diffrence in the phone. It does suck up more battery life but it is defintiely worth it. My Blackjack has 3G and i can manage 2 days of battery life while checking email every 15 minutes, making many calls and sending many texts and emails.

The ENTIRE phone is a touch screen and that is a big problem as far as scratches and keeping it clean.

The phone is still not FCC certified..haha

$500 and $600 are VERY steep phone prices for the demographic they are trying to capture. Only huge smart phone geeks and movie stars spend that kind of money on phones. Remeber, those prices are with a contract.

8GB's of space is NOTHING these days..especially if you are taking video into consideration.

As much as I like apple, I see this phone as more of a concept than anything. In a few years the phone will catch on and many people will have them. Hopefully by that time they will invent a non-scratchable screen that isnt glass.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

I would never buy this phone. Unless it was given to me then i would sell it on eBay. Its like all of there other products that are proprietary. Main problem is questionable file support and no expandability. Just another fad like the Ipod which is an inexpensive device that people pay through the nose for and forget about add-ons.

Last edited by boriswebs; 01-10-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 89macrunner
Its a very cool product but it is missing a few key features
It also has one feature which would drive me nuts - no tactile feedback keyboard.

I can't stand dealing with touchscreens on devices like that. TV remotes, phones, etc. I got handed a Moto Chocolate as an informal beta test (this was before they shipped). The test basics were "there are 3 music files on there, play each of them separately". Okay... So, in the process of trying to make that happen, I called Alaska, deleted a phone entry and started to enter a text message.

The issue was that the keypad was soft-touch, and WAY too sensitive to neighboring presses. I have a similar issue with the Pronto remotes. VERY cool devices, but you can't be sure of what you're pressing.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by boriswebs
Just another fad like the Ipod which is an inexpensive device that people pay through the nose for and forget about add-ons.
Umm, there are a few companies making a good chunk of change off of add-ons for the iPod.

I'd suspect that the iPhone _is_ interfaceable with the outside world. People didn't think the iPod was at first either, but low and behold, lookie what's happened now.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:24 PM

I get pretty excited over newer, nicer, smaller technology. But a phone needs to beable to handle life. That means it should beable to go biking, withstand a vehical running over it, and beable to get wet. Sure Ive destryed a few phones, but i dont think a phone like that could stand up too much. Probobly the same reason I dont have an ipod, they seem delicate.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Hands-on report:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/0...th-the-iphone/

Keep in mind that the phone would be running some pretty early software, so things may (will) change.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:36 AM

More babble... this time with a negative spin:

http://computerworld.com/action/arti...icleId=9007826
Old 01-12-2007, 12:07 PM

Cisco sues Apple

You would think a company such as Apple would see if the name is trademarked or not. When the phone first came to light, I got pretty excited. Now that I've put thought into it, I neither need it nor want it. Whats the point? What happened to cell phones just calling someone? Every cell I've ever owned was rallied by the time I was done with it. Hell, the last one (which was a flip phone) I managed to first break the spring so that it wouldn't stay shut, and then eventually to the point where the only thing holding the bottom and top together was the wires to the speaker and lcd screen. I need a durable phone. The iPhone looks anything but durable, but due to the yuppie driven consumer trend, this phone will sell big. Throw in battery life, non compatibility, and the fact that it looks freakin huge, and I don't want anything to do with it. Sorry apple lovers, but this isn't something worth gloating over to us unlearned heathens. (aka non-mac users...)
Old 01-12-2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by da_bigg_wigg
Cisco sues Apple

You would think a company such as Apple would see if the name is trademarked or not. When the phone first came to light, I got pretty excited. Now that I've put thought into it, I neither need it nor want it. Whats the point? What happened to cell phones just calling someone? Every cell I've ever owned was rallied by the time I was done with it. Hell, the last one (which was a flip phone) I managed to first break the spring so that it wouldn't stay shut, and then eventually to the point where the only thing holding the bottom and top together was the wires to the speaker and lcd screen. I need a durable phone. The iPhone looks anything but durable, but due to the yuppie driven consumer trend, this phone will sell big. Throw in battery life, non compatibility, and the fact that it looks freakin huge, and I don't want anything to do with it. Sorry apple lovers, but this isn't something worth gloating over to us unlearned heathens. (aka non-mac users...)
those days are loong gone buddy!

why do you ppl think the phone will be huge???? have you not read the specs? its small, its just smaller then the Motorola Q, which is small. the damn phone is not even 1/2 an inch thin. its actually thinner then the razr is closed. a little wider and a little taller, just like the Q.

and i don't see why ppl don't like macs, i use PC's but still my GF just for a macbook, its a really good laptop, i think i'm going over to the dark side

as for how tough the phone will be, i can see it being a slight problem but my sister has a video ipod and ppl said it wasn't going to be durable but yet she has dropped it a bunch of times and still no problems with it whats so ever!

i guess you guys are just haters for products that should have come out a long time ago and will actually be pretty nice.

oh and btw apple has been in talks with cisco for over 3years trying to get the trademark from them, thats the only reason cisco just now decided to come out with someting using that name. From what read around, it seems like apple is going to release the phone using that name. I can't wait.

Last edited by Alperovich; 01-12-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:47 PM

I don't want to start a war, but these are just some thoughts.
I guess what I meant to say is that it's huge when compared to a regular cellphone, not a blackberry or a q. I'm not big up on clipping a phone to my belt. It just seems dorky to me, somewhere along the lines of a fanny pack. The iphone won't fit in my pocket comfortably...
I've got nothing against macs. If anything it's against mac lovers who push their products on me. Those pc/mac commercials? My god are those annoying, and thats all I ever picture...
My problem isn't dropping it as much as say dropping something on it. With a flip phone you have a chance that if you drop something onto it that all the damage you may have is a nick in the shell. Of course I don't know for certain, but I don't know the durability of that screen. I'd just rather drop a wrench on a flip phone than an iphone...
Uhh, I have no idea what you mean by the haters line. I guess all I've got to say to that is that I am bashing it before I'm trying it, and thats kinda lame of me. Maybe a few minutes with it will change my opinion. We'll see...
Adressing the Cisco / Apple thing, I just think it's a little unprofessional on both parties, with Apple going ahead and pushing the phone before the name is their for certain and Cisco just trying to garner some media attention.
Rant mode off