GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

Worth it to upgrade aging GPS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worth it to upgrade aging GPS?

Hey all,

Hoping I can call on somebody with... well more experience than me lol

Right now I have a Garmin eTrex Legend. Its hard to believe but the unit is now well over 10 years old. When I bought the unit I did a lot of gps activities and this was really before smartphones were popular.

I use the GPS primarily on my ATV and in my truck. The unit functions great, but it lacks several features taken for granted on newer units. Monochrome screen, limited maps (has main roads but nothing else), no usb, etc.

Originally I wasn't planning on buying another GPS because I figured smartphones can do most everything a GPS can. Well, I then realized I don't want to rely on my phone which battery often times doesn't last the entire day to get me out of the woods, and the GPS sucks on my phone anyway. I have been looking at some new units and really like the Garmin GPSmap 64s but also like the looks of the etrex series. I really don't want a touchscreen unit just because it always makes things harder especially on the ATV. That's where I like the GPSmap because it has the big buttons on the bottom.

As usual, price is the hold up. Even getting a good deal on the GPSmap unit I'll still be in well over $300 by the time I get an ATV mount, car charger, truck mount, etc., all of which I already have for my current unit. My questions are:
1) Is there any real advantage to upgrading? sure the color screen and ability to add maps would be nice, but is the actual gps unit any better? Big cost to justify for a color screen lol. Plus if it ain't broke, don't fix it lol
2) If I do upgrade, does anybody have any suggestions?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:55 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
I believe in If it aint broke, dont fix it. My simple etrex 30 marks waypoint and tracks route. All i need to do to get out of the wilderness is trackback on the waypoints.
Originally Posted by rowdy235
... I really don't want a touchscreen unit...
2) If I do upgrade, does anybody have any suggestions?
I don't like touch screen either because it will likely suck in nasty weather.
If i were to upgrade, Id get a unit that bluetooths to my smartphone or tablet so I just use the phone/tablet unit for user-friendly interface to save it battery but use the GPS for what it is. Touch screen that works in wet/cold weather or option to use "joystick" like on older models would be a must for me.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Well, I am probably less GPS-experienced than you, but I hope I can help.....

Is there any features on newer GPS units that you really want that your current unit doesn't have?

Is there anything about your current unit that doesn't work like it should?

Are the maps too outdated for the level you use the GPS?

I really don't know how much better brand new GPS units are.

I guess it really depends on if you really want features found on newer units.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good food for thought guys

The maps on my unit are very simple (and also out of date obviously lol). There are really only highways on it, not a lot of good in the woods. Having 100k or 24k topo maps at my fingertips is very appealing. I guess the question is is it worth the cost? Guess I'll have some considering to do.

The old units works fine and I suppose the argument can be made if you can see where you've been, you can find your way home

Fortunately, there's quite a few new units that don't have touchscreen. I'm thinking if I end up getting a new one it will be a GPSmap 64st by garmin.

Last edited by rowdy235; 01-18-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:58 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by rowdy235
... if you can see where you've been, you can find your way home ..
Ironical trivia:
Someone sailed almost around the world, got lost and met his end about 3/4ths of the way. I guess his last thought was, "I wish I had a GPS.". They named the first GPS (company) after him.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-19-2018 at 09:00 AM.