GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

USB port for Delorme Earthmate

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USB port for Delorme Earthmate

I'm a huge fan of laptop navigation. You get a huge screen, easy data entry, massive amounts of memory to save trips, and the chance to remotely mount the GPS for best reception.

I've taken the install one step further. The Delorme GPS, which must be similar to the Microsoft Streets and Trips, has a cord coming out of the device with a typical USB plug to connect to one's computer. I hid the cord as best as I could behind the dash but I still had to have the tail hang out so I could plug in the laptop. Not anymore. The little white square above my aux. power outlets is a female USB B plug, just like on printers and scanners. Now I can use a seperate cable which I can keep in the glove box until I need it.

I've also installed aux inputs for my stereo on the dash so I can run playlists from my laptop, movies, or listen to voice directions. My mp3 player fits nicely into the pocket below the stereo.

Now I only have to read up on how to hardwire an invertor into the system so I can lose the plug currently plugged in. Just to keep things looking tidy.

Thanks to everyone who recommended RAM mounts. I ordered a bunch of pieces so I could assemble my own version of a laptop mount which when they arrive later this week, I'll post what that rig looks like.