GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

CB questions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 11:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tim,

A quick release w/ the spring on my rear mount is a good solution to the antenna getting in the way issue. The spring allows the antenna to flex, which is very important to prevent stress on the metal body panel.

Bob
Old 09-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Tim,

A quick release w/ the spring on my rear mount is a good solution to the antenna getting in the way issue. The spring allows the antenna to flex, which is very important to prevent stress on the metal body panel.

Bob
Bob,
Does the antenna ever slap against the truck? Also, would I need a spring on the TJM mount.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

I'm all hooked up and ready to go. I installed everything last night and I just got back from having the antenna connected and adjusted. They soldered the end on the coax for me.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Blah blah blah

Originally Posted by TStango
I'm all hooked up and ready to go. I installed everything last night and I just got back from having the antenna connected and adjusted. They soldered the end on the coax for me.
I don't believe you. Prove it!

Old 09-24-2004, 09:30 AM

Tstango,

I have a rubber bumper attached on the point where if it did slap, the rubber bumper would absorb any "hits". A tennis ball might work too. Also, I tether the top of the antenna with a bungee cord. The other end is connected to my roof rack. Thus, no violent swings like Bobby Brown on Whitney Houston. DOH!

So this thread now begs some pics of your set up. Give it up, yo!

Bob
Old 09-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Tstango,

I have a rubber bumper attached on the point where if it did slap, the rubber bumper would absorb any "hits". A tennis ball might work too. Also, I tether the top of the antenna with a bungee cord. The other end is connected to my roof rack. Thus, no violent swings like Bobby Brown on Whitney Houston. DOH!

So this thread now begs some pics of your set up. Give it up, yo!

Bob
Sorry fellas.
I'm at work now, so I can't produce any pics for a few more hours at least. :cry:

I'll tell ya, it was pretty entertaining to hear two truckers argue with each other. They were dropping F bombs and racial comments left and right. I thought that wasn't allowed.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It is not allowed, but part of the CB culture.
Since I no longer can listen to my stereo in my rig, I listen on my daily commute to and from work on channel 17, the trucker channel.

Every imaginable word you will hear, and all kinds of animal sounds.
Some of the truckers are a very bored bunch and like to liven up the nightly commute.

I hear fights every day.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Originally Posted by TStango
I heard that the Uniden is a better unit but I think someone here on the forum mentioned it sticks out 1 1/2" to 2"
I've tried this one and I think it is a better built unit than the Cobra (more solid, better reception/transmission, ect.). But when it is installed, it does stick out about 1" to 1-1/2" from the dash depending upon your antenna connection. Because of this I switched to the Cobra for a more flush look, but am still trying to think of a way to switch back and use the Uniden again.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by rwmorrisonjr
I've tried this one and I think it is a better built unit than the Cobra (more solid, better reception/transmission, ect.). But when it is installed, it does stick out about 1" to 1-1/2" from the dash depending upon your antenna connection. Because of this I switched to the Cobra for a more flush look, but am still trying to think of a way to switch back and use the Uniden again.
You speak of the Uniden Pro538, right???
If so could you please tell me the exact dimensions of it, I am having a very hard time finding any dimensions for anything that is Uniden, also could you estimate how much more depth is needed when the cable has to be hooked up in the back of the unit?
Thanks for the help
Old 09-26-2004, 08:10 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

dimensions

98madman,
here they are 6.9W x 2H x 8.3W thats for the Uniden PRO538W

heres the COBRA 7 x 1 1/8 x 6 1/2

the Uniden is a little longer, but it has the PA , something i really want, i hope someone will post a pic of the Uniden installed. i just may go with the Cobra because it does fit perfect.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Rick, you beat me to it! I might be able to reinstall it and take a picture so you have the info on the install. My Uniden's been moded so the antenna connector is actually on a pigtail and doesn't require a "L" connector, so you have to add ~1" for the adapter in the back as well as for a PA plug.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

rwmorrisonjr,
when you say "pigtail" whats that ? and i forgot about the PA plug being on the back, darn it, lol hey you dont have to go through the trouble of reintsalling it, but i aprreciate the thought,

Last edited by RicNkc; 09-26-2004 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

I had the shop I bought it from remove the original chassis-mounted antenna connector and install one on ~3" of cable soldered onto the motherboard of the CB. This allows the unit to slide back a little further in the dash and eliminates the need for a "L" adapter. I'll take a photo of this as well and send it to you.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

After this weekend, I've decided I need to change my antenna situation.
Here is why:
The TJM bumper is from Australia where cars and trucks are right hand drive so...the antenna mount is on the opposite side in front of my line of vision. I knew this would be annoying, but I did not plan on using the CB very often. But after using the CB during Friday afternoon rush hour, I realized that it was an invaluable tool for navigating the traffic snarls. A trucker suggested a differnet route for everyone and it actually saved me time. So, needless to say, I want a permanent mount on the back bumper.

Even though I need to change things up, I'm still glad I was able to get the CB installed in time for yesterday's offroad trip to Paragon. It made a HUGE difference being able to communicate with the group while on the trail.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:57 PM

TStango,

I recall one of the members here who did a side mount on the rear bumper. I considered that but I went with my hatch mount instead because I felt that it would be better grounded, sturdier and more safer (less risk of a car taking it off).

Bob
Old 09-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TStango,

I can't remember where in Ct you said you are located but you may want to give this place in Newington a call. They have just about every kind of mount that is made in stock. Lentini Communications 800-666-0908.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Tstango,

I currently have my K-40 mounted on my roof but this does interfere with parking garages, drive-thru's, low branches, etc. I'm thinking of doing Bob's antenna mount so that I can keep the antenna on but have quick access to it for car washes and other times when it needs to be removed.

-Rich M.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:25 PM

Heres a great source for all your antenna mounting needs.
http://www.tmrce.com/index.html
Old 09-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Bob, what I meant to say was the hatch mount just as you did. I don't know why I said rear bumper. Your write up will be a huge help.

94-Runner, Lentini Communication in Newington is exactly where I went. They were very helpful.

rwmorrisonjr, I thought about the roof mount too, but I would snag it on my garage.