GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

CB noob here, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CB noob here, have questions

I'm looking at getting a CB set up going in my 4Runner since some groups require it & it's handy for a few other things as well, like road conditions, weather etc.

I've pretty much made up my mind on the Uniden PRO538W because it has the NOAA weather channels + the PA feature (which may or may not come in handy on trails) & it's slate gray & compact so it should blend well enough with my interior. I'm also looking at Wilson antennas because I hear they are a step above firestik antennas. I've been checking out the "little wil" since a roof top mount will give the best transmission & reception (from what I've read) & all the "pro's" say don't skimp on the antenna!

Anyone have an opinion about the Uniden or Wilson antenna? Opinions on mounting?

I'm here to tell you I don't understand the differences in "top loaded/center loaded/base loaded" or "counterpoise" etc. I've read plenty on the subject but I still don't get it.

All I know is I want the best reception & transmission I can get, I definitely want the weather band to come in well & I don't want the antenna ripped off the vehicle wherever it gets mounted.

Any help for a CB ninny?
Old 04-02-2008, 05:20 AM

I suppose I need to check at a more radio oriented site. All I really need is help deciding on what antenna is best & where to put it for best transmission & reception since I'm sold on Uniden for the price vs. features & most mobile units are 4 watt & I don't intend to run a linear amp ever.

I need "expert" advice on the antenna type & location because of the things I mentioned above; lol but I guess the few who have looked at this post don't understand it any better than I do.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah definitely not an expert here. The only thing I realized is that CB is pretty old technology for the most part and its really simple. Plug and play, almost. Get whatever you think will work for you and then get it tuned at a shop. Everybody wants what you want: "best reception & transmission I can get". I went for a Cobra & Firestick and so far I'm pretty happy with the results. My unedumacated research (searching YT & EXPO) basically showed most popular namebrand stuff will work fine, you're only gonna get a couple miles Rx/Tx if you're lucky anyway. Anybody that is serious about communication ends up with something else, ie: 2 meter or something else more $$$$.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a little wil wilson antenna and I like it a lot. Couple of my friend have one too and it works great on there trucks. All you have to do for tuning is put the whip as far down as you can into the magnet mount and tighten the screw. The needle barley moves on all channels when i check SWR.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by 111db
Get whatever you think will work for you and then get it tuned at a shop. Everybody wants what you want: "best reception & transmission I can get". I went for a Cobra & Firestick and so far I'm pretty happy with the results.
Yeah I'm sure that's what everyone wants; but the differences in a fiberglass antenna on a mount that puts 1/2 of it's length or more behind the vehicle vs. a magnetic mount on the top should be fairly clear cut, especially for someone who has used both. I also want an antenna that will receive the weather stations well; the CB reception & transmission is equal to that; maybe even second to it.

Another problem would be finding a CB shop; there used to be many on the interstates & near them. One of my old runnin' buddies dad was radio nut & worked on them for truckers, unfortunately he's dead now.

Originally Posted by deserttoy84
I have a little wil wilson antenna and I like it a lot. Couple of my friend have one too and it works great on there trucks. All you have to do for tuning is put the whip as far down as you can into the magnet mount and tighten the screw. The needle barley moves on all channels when i check SWR.

My only worry with the little wil is the thought of it sticking up & getting knocked off by low branches. But I'll deal with that if the difference in performance between it & a low mounted fiberglass Firestik that's behind the vehicle by the rear gate is too great. A couple miles doesn't seem like much, I always figured stock radios to be good out to five to ten miles in normal conditions.

I don't really want to become a professional CB installer to get the best antenna set up.....all radios might be created equal (4 watt max output) but all antennas & placements are not.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:28 PM

My CB input

I have a Wilson 1000 magnet mount antenna. IT IS THE BEST ANTENNA I HAVE EVER HAD. (Also does weather). However it is 62 inches tall and looks awfully goofy on my tiny ford Taurus. (i just realized this is a Toyota site) Anyways Wilson makes great antennas, and unfortunately for you..the longer the antenna is the better. The magnet on my antenna is VERY strong, and i never worry about it coming off.....In terms of buying radios....the best places are TRUCK STOPS. Try a travel America truck stop...most have CB shops. I bought a cobra 29 WX NW ST USED at one for 50 bucks (had many modifications) The people there are great and have always been helpful. Although i don't recommend it. you can go to radio shack, wal mart or target, they all have cb products, but they are all VERY overpriced, and their antennas SUCK. Look up truck stops near you and give them a call to see if they have cb shops. if they dont have an actual shop dedicated to CBs, the will most likely have more better, cheaper products than what you will find at Wal mart of Radioshack, or target.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by sudiablo88
I have a Wilson 1000 magnet mount antenna. IT IS THE BEST ANTENNA I HAVE EVER HAD. (Also does weather). However it is 62 inches tall and looks awfully goofy on my tiny ford Taurus. (i just realized this is a Toyota site) Anyways Wilson makes great antennas, and unfortunately for you..the longer the antenna is the better. The magnet on my antenna is VERY strong, and i never worry about it coming off.....In terms of buying radios....the best places are TRUCK STOPS. Try a travel America truck stop...most have CB shops. I bought a cobra 29 WX NW ST USED at one for 50 bucks (had many modifications) The people there are great and have always been helpful. Although i don't recommend it. you can go to radio shack, wal mart or target, they all have cb products, but they are all VERY overpriced, and their antennas SUCK. Look up truck stops near you and give them a call to see if they have cb shops. if they dont have an actual shop dedicated to CBs, the will most likely have more better, cheaper products than what you will find at Wal mart of Radioshack, or target.

Hey; welcome to the site. I'm sold on the Uniden because of the size. There is a small Cobra that would work but it doesn't have the weather radio band. I can get the Uniden really cheap off of Amazon. Unfortunately there aren't any truck stop close to where I live
Old 04-02-2008, 06:21 PM

I can add my props to the Little Wil magnetic mounted antenna. I got a CB shop to match it to my radio and RX/TX is SUPERB! I highly recommend that antenna.

For you, once you hit the trail you can move it to a lower location...Yes it will affect the distance you can transmit but you are basically talking back and forth along the trail so you will not hear any difference. When you get back on the road re-center it on your roof top and you should get great coverage again.

Just my $0.02 and who knows if it is even worth that. Anyhoo, I hope that helps you make a decision one way or the other.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by GenXr
I can add my props to the Little Wil magnetic mounted antenna. I got a CB shop to match it to my radio and RX/TX is SUPERB! I highly recommend that antenna.

For you, once you hit the trail you can move it to a lower location...Yes it will affect the distance you can transmit but you are basically talking back and forth along the trail so you will not hear any difference. When you get back on the road re-center it on your roof top and you should get great coverage again.

Just my $0.02 and who knows if it is even worth that. Anyhoo, I hope that helps you make a decision one way or the other.
It's worth it to me
Old 04-02-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the best antennas out there are the k40 antenna's(best for talking, suck for weather). i run a cobra 25 nightwatch with the 5ft firestik antenna cuz i like the way the antenna looks. if u take ur setup to a truck stop they will usually tune it for u.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:22 AM

Again, I'm not wasting $100 or more in fuel to find a truck stop that works on CB's; there aren't any around here. SWR meters can be had for about $10 bucks & tuning isn't rocket science according to the how to's I've read.

What's a K40? I guess it doesn't really matter if trhey suck for weather since that's as important or even more important that talking to me.

I like the looks of the Firestik mounted to the body next to the rear gate, I much prefer that to a magnetic mount as far as it being out of the way & looking styling. [b]BUT[/]; if it's going to cost me most of the reception & transmission range I'd rather stick a 36" little wil on top/center. I read that 2/3 of the antenna must be above the plane of the vehicle to work properly & that ain't gonna happen tucked behind the truck.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:06 PM

weather

You know that the weather stations aren't all that great....besides they are meant for boaters, and all measurements are in knots and such. Thats what its like where i live but im 50 miles from the Chesapeake bay so who knows about other places
Old 04-03-2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by sudiablo88
You know that the weather stations aren't all that great....besides they are meant for boaters, and all measurements are in knots and such. Thats what its like where i live but im 50 miles from the Chesapeake bay so who knows about other places
You're incorrect where the "other places" are concerned. But I will agree on the "aren't all that great" part; but it beats nothing & could save your life in some situations. It'll come in damn handy in unfamiliar territory when