Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

whining sound coming through speakers.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 93runner223
clearly car audio is picking up electrical interference mine does it to with my two amps even though my wires are ran on either sides of the car so if u have an amp unplug power to such and see if it still makes noise mine didnt so viola or whatever that word is
while your trouble shooting is helpful, the thread is almost 5 years old.....
Old 03-29-2010, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofer
while your trouble shooting is helpful, the thread is almost 5 years old.....
yet still problems exist
Old 03-29-2010, 05:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RobD
I used to have a whining sound from the passenger side.

Then I got rid of my wife.

Bada bing.
LOL. Maybe my new signature line..........but I still have her
Old 03-30-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
post exactly what components you have and it should be easy to fix. Assuming you have the correct plugs and plug wires (resistor type).
Old 11-10-2011, 07:09 PM

I have a similar problem but only recently got the whining sound after i hooked up my amp. ive checked and double checked all the grounds for everything everything is tight and metal to metal any other suggestions as to what would be causing it? plug wires are stock and everything
Old 11-11-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sequoia'd
Either a diode is going out on the alt. or capacitor is failing in the audio system's power supply. Have you recently changed anything like plugs, wires, etc.?
It's at the alternator your pulling to much, how old is your ALT. getting a capacitor would help out, but you, would need a electrical filter if nothing else clears that up, remeber you pull alot of electrical noise from the battery, shocking your battery with a pulse charger and changing out the battery acid will also help out alot. Ensue you charge the battery 24 hrs after you put new acid in battery then let the battery rest for 24 hrs
Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 PM

biggest mistake i see folks do is mounting there amps to the chassis of the vehicle. BIG mistake. the amp heatsink needs to be isolated from ground. mounting screws included!!! the key is to have only one ground pont.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:26 PM

Dodge problem

So I had a Sony xplod amp. As you can guess it exploded. Up till then everything worked great. So I went out bought a JL 360/4 amp. Beautiful price of metal. I hook it all up and bam engine noise through my speakers. I built myself a new ground for the amp and made sure there was no paint left. Still have problems. Took the ground from the deck and still have problems. I have a kenwood deck model KDC-X494. Two alpine typed R 6X9's in my front doors(2003 dodge ram 1500 quad cab) and two kenwood 6X9's under my back seat. Took my battery and cleaned the hell out of it and cleaned the ground from the battery to the frame. Everything works fine. But the engine noise is annoying. I have my speakers hooked directly to the amp (positive and negative wires) I can't think of what is possibly wrong. I also have not done any work to my truck in this time frame. Plugs and wires are still the same, speaker haven't been touched. Tried two different RCA cables and I am stumped. Someone please help.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Leppster5
So I had a Sony xplod amp. As you can guess it exploded. Up till then everything worked great. So I went out bought a JL 360/4 amp. Beautiful price of metal. I hook it all up and bam engine noise through my speakers. I built myself a new ground for the amp and made sure there was no paint left. Still have problems. Took the ground from the deck and still have problems. I have a kenwood deck model KDC-X494. Two alpine typed R 6X9's in my front doors(2003 dodge ram 1500 quad cab) and two kenwood 6X9's under my back seat. Took my battery and cleaned the hell out of it and cleaned the ground from the battery to the frame. Everything works fine. But the engine noise is annoying. I have my speakers hooked directly to the amp (positive and negative wires) I can't think of what is possibly wrong. I also have not done any work to my truck in this time frame. Plugs and wires are still the same, speaker haven't been touched. Tried two different RCA cables and I am stumped. Someone please help.
This is what you need to do, pull your alternator off have it tested, check your amps that it puts out.... Calculate how many amp, and watts your are pulling with your boom boom system, One setup up to a bigger battery, a higher alternator amperage or get a capacitor before your amp, the nosie you hear is the winning from the alternator, you could look for a electrical filter, but if you drop the wattage of your amp it should go away, maybe you should replace all the grounds and power cables with new ones the are thicker gauge.. I got my battery cables doubled so there is pleanty of flow of electrons, remember you get alot if nosie from your battery
Old 03-06-2012, 10:50 AM

hmm this is all very interesting. for some reason I only have this issue when using aux input from my phone or similar device. from a cd it is perfectly clear sound....
Old 03-06-2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by yotasavg
hmm this is all very interesting. for some reason I only have this issue when using aux input from my phone or similar device. from a cd it is perfectly clear sound....
Swap out head units and see it that solves the issue or is it your cell phone
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM

Figured it out. Deck was garbage. Out a new one in and now everything works great. She's loud now.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
Swap out head units and see it that solves the issue or is it your cell phone
not my phone, any device does it. not my head unit in general because it only does it in aux mode. from sd card, dvd, cd, radio its all good. furthermore, it's only when the engine is running: alternator whine? when the truck is off there is no whine even in aux mode. once running it follows the rpms.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 AM

WOW! there is alot of misinformation, and methods that will solve nothing in these last few posts. just throwing parts at something may fix the issue, but will certainly cost you money. why not test and diagnose where the problem is coming from.

capacitors are a band aid, they will do nothing for engine whine.

why would one take the risk of changing out the acid in their battery? where would one get battery acid? and why not just buy a better, more powerful "gel cell" battery as opposed to doctoring an old one?

there is no such thing as "turning down the wattage" on a car audio amplifier, there is indeed a gain, but that is used to match the head units output with the amps input.

it was also mentioned that "doubling up" your battery cables will help with power flow. in my opinion you are better off doing one solid large gauge wire, as oppsed to several smaller ones. current takes the path of least resistance, it may never show any affects but it could be hurtful if one wire is sending more current than another.

this link may help some of you figure out where whine is coming from, but more importantly how to fix it:
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=71

im not taking personal shots at anyone here, i just hate to see people mislead with wrong info. just my opinion and two cents on the matter.

Last edited by drpdmazda; 03-08-2012 at 10:55 AM.