Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

subwoofer optimization

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subwoofer optimization

I have a question for the car audio experts-
I want to optimize my system settings but not sure how to do it.
My system is not really hi-end but I would say 'middle'.
I have a Sony head unit and MBQuart speakers (4way). Those speakers are powered by a Sony amp (XM4S 50x4) under my seat. In the back is an alpine powered sub PLV-5.

My question is about crossovers, and settings from the headunit, which I am not sure about.
Also I am wondering about the EQ settings.
Should I run SUB+10 from the headunit, and use the volume knob to control the sub?
Is it better to have the amps turned all the way up, and have low volume on the headunit, or keep the amps low and the headunit high?
Should I use the crossover on the amp to remove bass from the 4way and just send it to the sub?
The sub has a crossover too, what frequencies would be best?
Should I use the 'xplod' and 'bass boost' settings or turn them off? Phase settings?

As you can see I have a lot to learn. I know quite a little about audio production (creation) but not very much about optimizing audio in a vehicle.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by taikowaza; 08-26-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my stab at helping someone out... i'm nowhere close to an expert, but it's a start...

Should I run SUB+10 from the headunit, and use the volume knob to control the sub?
I like to control the sub volume from the HU, that way i can adjust it depending on the EQ settings or music i'm listening to. Try get the external sub volume at a decent level using both volumes and then its easy to adjust from just the HU.

Is it better to have the amps turned all the way up, and have low volume on the headunit, or keep the amps low and the headunit high?
I'm gonna opt for a mix of both again. I've read this about how to set the gain for amps (its usually gain and not volume):
1. Turn the gain/volume on the amp to zero
2. Turn your HU up to about 3/4s, or very loud.
3. Turn the gain/volume on the amp up til it starts to distort
4. Back off on the gain/volume on the amp so its not distorted.
5. Done!

Should I use the crossover on the amp to remove bass from the 4way and just send it to the sub?
Yes!

The same as the x-over on the amp.
I like mine at either 80 or 120hz.
I read somewhere that about 10hz above the bottom end of your 4-way specs is good, but your ear is the best judge.

Should I use the 'xplod' and 'bass boost' settings or turn them off?
Personal preference my friend... I'd try and get a good sound without additional processing first. That is, set everything up with them off and see how it turns out.

Phase settings?
Switch between the two phase settings and see which produces the stronger bass... thats the one you want!

Hope that helps... and if anyone wants to correct me please feel free.
(sarcasm accepted graciously)

Old 08-26-2008, 11:45 AM

this server seems slow right now, but check out this manual for a JBL 5ch amp...
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/CAR/Owner's Manual/GTO5355OM.pdf

it shows settings for using subs etc... could be useful for ya
Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 PM

Very well said. Also keep in mind acoustics. No 2 vehicles sound the same unless they are the same vehicle. ( I know that's some John Madden logic for ya. ) Music is a preference. My ear may not like what your ear does. idodgimus is very close in setting your gains.

Originally Posted by idodgimus
Here's my stab at helping someone out... i'm nowhere close to an expert, but it's a start...

I like to control the sub volume from the HU, that way i can adjust it depending on the EQ settings or music i'm listening to. Try get the external sub volume at a decent level using both volumes and then its easy to adjust from just the HU.

I'm gonna opt for a mix of both again. I've read this about how to set the gain for amps (its usually gain and not volume):
1. Turn the gain/volume on the amp to zero
2. Turn your HU up to about 3/4s, or very loud.
3. Turn the gain/volume on the amp up til it starts to distort
4. Back off on the gain/volume on the amp so its not distorted.
5. Done!

Yes!

The same as the x-over on the amp.
I like mine at either 80 or 120hz.
I read somewhere that about 10hz above the bottom end of your 4-way specs is good, but your ear is the best judge.

Should I use the 'xplod' and 'bass boost' settings or turn them off?
Personal preference my friend... I'd try and get a good sound without additional processing first. That is, set everything up with them off and see how it turns out.

Phase settings?
Switch between the two phase settings and see which produces the stronger bass... thats the one you want!

Hope that helps... and if anyone wants to correct me please feel free.
(sarcasm accepted graciously)

Old 08-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

I dont know about anybody else who owns a 2nd gen, but my 4runner acts as a sub box. when i break the seal by opening the rear window my bass decibals nearly double. And since you own newer 4runner you might have the extra 2 speakers in the rear cargo area.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

good information here- thanks you guys. Belize- that is interesting that the bass nearly doubles when you open the rear window a bit. Good information! I do indeed have the two extra speakers in the rear cargo area. I am going to try turning off the bass in the 4 main speakers with the crossover and setting things as recommended...I bet I will see a big difference. I also had the bassboost on which I think was not helping any
Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 AM

well said idodgimus. As for the whole tune at 3/4 headunit volume thats just because headunits distort over that and produce poor audio.

cracking a door or window during sanctioned db drag events is considered cheating but most definatly makes up afew extra db.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

I can try and find my db results if you want, since i worked for an oilfield safety company we had a decibal machine, so i tested mine out and i was quite surprized. just let me know so i can dig through some old boxes to try and find the results.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by kramykram
Very well said. Also keep in mind acoustics. No 2 vehicles sound the same unless they are the same vehicle. ( I know that's some John Madden logic for ya. ) Music is a preference. My ear may not like what your ear does. idodgimus is very close in setting your gains.

I love music & lots of bass. I've got an R&T custom vented box for my Rockford P212 with a Rockford 500W Farad Cap and powering the woofer is Rockford's P400-2 tuned to 500W. Head unit is a Kenwood VZ907 flip up/touchscreen and my mids are infinity kappas. I was messing around with a decibal reader and average 149dB and I maxed the reader out at 160dB! loud, but fun.

Check out Rockford Fosgate's FAQ and use their search engine, you'll find lots lof info on setting up a system, equalizers, bass boosters, crossovers, breaking in woofers & all that!
Old 08-28-2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by O.State4runner
I love music & lots of bass. I've got an R&T custom vented box for my Rockford P212 with a Rockford 500W Farad Cap and powering the woofer is Rockford's P400-2 tuned to 500W. Head unit is a Kenwood VZ907 flip up/touchscreen and my mids are infinity kappas. I was messing around with a decibal reader and average 149dB and I maxed the reader out at 160dB! loud, but fun.

Check out Rockford Fosgate's FAQ and use their search engine, you'll find lots lof info on setting up a system, equalizers, bass boosters, crossovers, breaking in woofers & all that!

what type of meter was it? do you have a print out showing that one rockford sub hit 160db? and what were you playing for music? just curious to see that. i used to compete for years and have never seen a single 12" sub hit that high of a number. if i remember correctly the world record was set at a little over 180db with a single 18" sub but a much more entailed system.

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/551...ngle-subwoofer

not trying to talk on you or anything i would just like to know