Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

securing sub box suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
securing sub box suggestions?

I'm adding a subwoofer in a box to my cargo area. It doesn't fit along the wheel well humps, it's just your typical box. I'm looking for suggestions on how to make it theft resistant. Other than covering it up, how have 4Runner owners secured thier sub boxes in the cargo area?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:59 PM

best way to prevent theft is to not have it at all...my $900 system was stolen my first night at college last year and ever since i've just been rockin the door speakers and tweeters...lol. but get a cargo cover if you don't have one, get at least 15% tint on all windows and 5% tint on the back ones, and i would also try bolting it down maybe using the existing tie-down points if you have them, as i saw a guy do this with a box and wish i had done it also...what kind of sub you running?
Old 10-19-2008, 01:10 AM

That sucks! The first mod I did to my T4R was installing an alarm.

I'm thinking about getting a JL Audio PowerWedge with one 12. Since the 4Runner is one giant speaker box, 1 is all I think I'll need.

I thought about adding a roll-up cargo cover like the ones that came standard with later model 4Runners. What I really want are some ideas on locking down the box. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:42 AM

Cover the cargo area and what I tell everyone else . DONT come home with ur tunes cranked and sub pounding . Neighbors , neighbors kids with friends over . The word gets out and they know where you park at night . My son in law used to do that and ignored what I told him . 1000 bucks worth a subs stolen the night after he installed them . He was out there 'testing' them for hours LOL .
You can bet that it was someone who heard them

Thats like a bird call to thieves .

If they really want it bad enough they will take it . Sometimes it isnt worth all the extra bolts and such , cause it just causes so much more damage to the vehicle . Just make sure u have good insurance.

Last edited by XJeepguy; 10-19-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by XJeepguy
Cover the cargo area and what I tell everyone else . DONT come home with ur tunes cranked and sub pounding . Neighbors , neighbors kids with friends over . The word gets out and they know where you park at night . My son in law used to do that and ignored what I told him . 1000 bucks worth a subs stolen the night after he installed them . He was out there 'testing' them for hours LOL .
You can bet that it was someone who heard them

Thats like a bird call to thieves .

If they really want it bad enough they will take it . Sometimes it isnt worth all the extra bolts and such , cause it just causes so much more damage to the vehicle . Just make sure u have good insurance.
DAMN that is aggravating!!!
Imagine a world where you didn't have to factor in theft. I have had good mod ideas for my truck and as I start to get all wound up and ready to go at em I have have to think- That could be easily stolen- and I abandon it.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
run some long bolts clear through the box and the trucks floor ?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:55 AM

That's ok but sub boxes are usually made from wood and if you yank hard enough they come out . Who wants to drill holes thru their body ? Not me .

Originally Posted by Elton
run some long bolts clear through the box and the trucks floor ?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:05 PM

I've been thinking about this. What about using steel aircraft cable, (like that used in bike locks) to run over the box (in a "X" pattern) to the rear cargo tie down points and some point in front of/under the back seats (drilling likely required), using padlocks on all 4 corners. The screws for the tie down points could then be disfigured to prevent their removal using a screwdriver. A steel cable "web" net would work even better, if such a thing is even made.

No security method is 100%- if the thief wants it bad enough, he will get it. But if he wants mine, he's gonna have to earn it, while hoping not to set off my alarm or waking my dogs or me. My goal is throw up as many roadblocks as possible to slow or deter him, within reason.

What about wiring an alarm sensor to the speaker box (wired in to the vehicle's alarm)?

Suggestions? Other ideas?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
just turn them down before you pull into places, and cover them up.

If your that worried bolt them to the floor like elton suggested, many people have done it