Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Home Theater upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Home Theater upgrade

Presently I have a 27" Toshiba TV in the living room.
The VCR took a dump a year ago, and I have been PVR'n ever since.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/tando/pvr.htm

Problem is when I play back the shows I record on my PC to the TV set, the TV only has the stock 2 speakers, and there is no bass whatsoever.
Live TV, shows played back, DVD movies sound really great on my PC as I have a Logitech Z680 5.1 surround sound system hooked up to it.
It rocks, and more on them can be found in the Gear Review Section here on the forum.

My son had put in a bid for the exact same speakers a few weeks back on EBay.
The set was brand new, although they came out a few years ago, and the it was auctioned off as never been opened.
He fixed his 5.1 set that was not working, so now I have this Z680 set he did not want now.

I hooked it up to my TV set yesterday, and MY GOSH they sound fantastic!

There are 2 ways to hook them to my TV and my DVD player.
The TV set only has a right and left channel RCA output for stereo sound.
I used a cable that plugs into both of those input, and the other end of the cable has a single stereo 1/8" mini plug on it, and it goes to the Logitechs Control Module.
Of course I do not get 5.1 sound this way, but the Control Module will let me select stereo X2 which doubles the stereo effect over the front left and right speakers, and the front center speaker.
It sound good this way.
On my PC, I use the 6 channel direct mode which is 5.1 using the standard green, orange, and black cables that go to my Creative Audigy 2 ZS soundcard.
The PC is also hooked up via coax cable for superior sound when playing DVDs on the PC.

The DVD player by the TV has an optical plug on the back, and so does the Logitech Control Module, my soundcard does not.
I picked up a 6' optical cable from the Shack and plugged in the DVD player by it to the back of the module.
This does give you true 5.1 surround sound playback then for movies on the TV.

The TV sounds so much better now, even shows like CSI have great sound tracks and bass in them.
The difference is like night and day now when watching regular TV.
Last night while watching the DVD The Transporter 2, I was blown away totally.

I have 2 more steps to finish my home theater setup.
Either a DLP TV sized around 42" or so, and with a PC input on it, or an LCD monitor sized around the same with no tuner it.
No tuner needed if running a TV card as below.
A small form factor PC for the living room which will contain a TV/FM tuner card in it like my present PC does.
This will free up my current PC and my future one I plan on building later one.

The only thing now is I have to wait for the neighbors to get up around here first before firing up the Logitech speakers for the TV ')
I ran them up some last night and went downstairs to the neighbor to see if he could hear the bass, and he said no.
They have their TV on a lot, and the sound does not really carry very far through our floors, and that is good.
About the only time they ever hear me is when I am plying Unreal Tournament 2004, as I have it up some to feel and hear the percussion from the weapons