Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Calling Stereo Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Calling Stereo Gurus

Okay this isn't on my toyota but on my jeep rather, a 1988 Grand Wagoneer.

So I'm planning to get a Dual Video player, one with the flip-up screen. Problem is right above the stereo on the dash, the trim protrudes probably an inch or so. This would obviously interfere with the screen operation. So What I am in need of is a spacer of sorts, something that will basically move the headunit out an inch or so. I have scoured the internet and came up with nothing so ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
since you make no mention of touch screen or GPS capability as things you are looking for in specific, I might encourage you to get a flip-down monitor or even use a non motorized (and thusly much more reliable - less moving parts to break on ya!) single din stereo. I found one from Dual, since you seem to be partial, the XDVD-8130:

TV watching shouldn't be done while driving under any circumstances, even though I myself am guilty of this. It nearly cost me the front end of the car I was driving one time tho, and I don't recommend it - plus, you can get yourself headrest monitors, flip down monitors for the roof, even inlaying them into the dashboard. All of these would give you a bigger nicer screen than anything a pop-up player would or could, and on the cheap too. I would also be worried if you mount a motorized pop-up screen with a spacer that the spacers might essentially make the mounting less secure and therefore allowing more vibration - the ultimate enemy of any electronic device with moving parts.

As for Dual, the price point and their capabilities (as in how they look on paper) are the only two selling points for those products. Reliability and sound quality can be questionable, but with a DVD player for $160, how much do you expect?

Oh, one of the coolest things I've seen someone do with their in-dash video setup is to get a TV tuner and hook up an antenna. Live traffic reports and local news while driving around town with matching video (sometimes 1010 wins just wont cut it!) is nonsensically slick.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think a spacer exists for what you want, but it wouldn't be too hard to make one.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:31 AM

save your money and do not buy the dual it will break you will be mad you put all kinds of time into fabing up some brackets and such. what does the dash of your jeep look like?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure i exactly follow you but there are spacer sleeves for screws and bolts... basically long long washers. Get them at ACE Hardware or True-Value and longer screws for mounting.

That work? Or am i totally off track?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by algranger
Not sure i exactly follow you but there are spacer sleeves for screws and bolts... basically long long washers. Get them at ACE Hardware or True-Value and longer screws for mounting.

That work? Or am i totally off track?
That's what I was thinking, they're called "stand-offs". Hardware stores and some hardcore hobby shops should have them. Also, if you're in a big enough city, R/C or robotics stores will have them, too.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:55 PM

You will have to custom fab something for it to work, but last I remember most of those screens have an open angle adjustment so it will tilt the screen to your needs