Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

bigger amp fixed my light dimming issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bigger amp fixed my light dimming issue

As of two days ago my audio setup looked like this

Alpine 9805 HU
Infinity Kappa Perfect 4" in the dash
Alpine Type-R 6x9's in boxes in the back
Kenwood amp (cant remeber the model) putting out 60 watts rms to each speaker
Infinity Basslink sub (200watts rms)

This was all hooked up with an 8ga power wire. This old system would cause my lights to dim when I played a song with hard bass hits.

Now yesterday i took out the basslink and added a 4ga power wire for my new amp. Got rid of my Distro-block and used the 8ga for the kenwood amp.

I installed in place of the basslink

2x12in Alpine Type-R subwoofers in a junky q-logic box that needs to be replaced.
They are powered by a Rockford Fosgate BD1001 amp..giving each speaker 500watts RMS.

Now this system SLAMS. It makes my rear view mirrior compltely move out of place and makes the tailgate fluxuate in and out. It buzzes horribly on the tailgate because the entire thing moves in and out. I will be adding dynamat to help that (or any ideas). Now my lights DO NOT DIM!? Now of course i know its good that they aren't dimming at all. But why did this happen?

Also, The Q-Logic box i got with this is REALLY noisy..If pull out the subs and add some polyfill or throw a pillow in there will that help?

I paid a VERY low price for this system. Any ideas on a box?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:51 AM
mdh

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The box shouldn't be noisy. Are we talking 'bout one of those mdf sealed boxes? I would guess that you might hear noise coming from the box if there is an air leak or you are having a woofer issue (too much power).
Old 03-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

the box is vented and the sound comes from the vent...Its probably too much power for that crappy box.

I just realized my door panels also move in and out with the music...haha
Old 04-03-2006, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
define noisy...

oh wait... oyu mentioned vented.

are the vents 90 degrees?

early on when i started on this, all vents were using PVC pipes etc.

so the edges of the vents were 90 degrees.

but as the air flows out of the vent, this would cause noise.

then someone started to use flared vent tubes. that claimed to lower if not get rid, of the noise.

myself, i always go for subs that work best in sealed enclosures. easier to make and you get some protection (from the air suspension from over excursion).

Last edited by ldivinag; 04-03-2006 at 02:30 AM.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 89macrunner
As of two days ago my audio setup looked like this

Alpine 9805 HU
Infinity Kappa Perfect 4" in the dash
Alpine Type-R 6x9's in boxes in the back
Kenwood amp (cant remeber the model) putting out 60 watts rms to each speaker
Infinity Basslink sub (200watts rms)

This was all hooked up with an 8ga power wire. This old system would cause my lights to dim when I played a song with hard bass hits.

Now yesterday i took out the basslink and added a 4ga power wire for my new amp. Got rid of my Distro-block and used the 8ga for the kenwood amp.

I installed in place of the basslink

2x12in Alpine Type-R subwoofers in a junky q-logic box that needs to be replaced.
They are powered by a Rockford Fosgate BD1001 amp..giving each speaker 500watts RMS.

Now this system SLAMS. It makes my rear view mirrior compltely move out of place and makes the tailgate fluxuate in and out. It buzzes horribly on the tailgate because the entire thing moves in and out. I will be adding dynamat to help that (or any ideas). Now my lights DO NOT DIM!? Now of course i know its good that they aren't dimming at all. But why did this happen?

Also, The Q-Logic box i got with this is REALLY noisy..If pull out the subs and add some polyfill or throw a pillow in there will that help?

I paid a VERY low price for this system. Any ideas on a box?
I've seen those Qlogic boxes rattle before from the dado groove either being too large or them not using glue on the box.... In any event lemme build you a GOOD ported box for 80 + shipping. (Obviously includes carpeting and terminal cups.) I garuntee it will make your system slam more than it does now and sound better.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
define noisy...

oh wait... oyu mentioned vented.

are the vents 90 degrees?

early on when i started on this, all vents were using PVC pipes etc.

so the edges of the vents were 90 degrees.

but as the air flows out of the vent, this would cause noise.

then someone started to use flared vent tubes. that claimed to lower if not get rid, of the noise.

myself, i always go for subs that work best in sealed enclosures. easier to make and you get some protection (from the air suspension from over excursion).
That's correct when you have less port area (<20sq inches) flares not only help remove the blowing sound at low frequencies but also make the port more efficient. Now if you have a slot port, flaring helps but you dont have to worry about that sound as the overal port velocity is lower.

Also you dont have to worry about overexcursion with ported so long as you dont play at high power below the port's tuning.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

i take back my comment on the light dimming issue...the dim like crazy..time for a cap or bigger alt.

bumpin, i would love to have you build me a box..shipping will be outrageous but to get a box built by someone who REALLY knows what they are doing will be worth it.

I leave the tuning and whatnot to you.. I like somthing that is deep but can still be punchy..i listen to rap and rock VERY loud so something that still hits super hard would be great...These subs already slam..with a good box i cant imagine. I dont have enough money to buy a box right now i need some other stuff first...but if you could give me some ideas on what you would build let me know because im definitely interested!
Old 04-04-2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by 89macrunner
i take back my comment on the light dimming issue...the dim like crazy..time for a cap or bigger alt.

bumpin, i would love to have you build me a box..shipping will be outrageous but to get a box built by someone who REALLY knows what they are doing will be worth it.

I leave the tuning and whatnot to you.. I like somthing that is deep but can still be punchy..i listen to rap and rock VERY loud so something that still hits super hard would be great...These subs already slam..with a good box i cant imagine. I dont have enough money to buy a box right now i need some other stuff first...but if you could give me some ideas on what you would build let me know because im definitely interested!
Ill have to look at the TS parameters for those subs as well as winISD beta, but with most 12's something in the neighborhood of 2.0-2.5 cubes per sub, separated chambers and tuned to the area around 30hz. Typically shipping isnt that bad going fed ex ground.... Whats your zip code?
Old 04-09-2006, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you could have busted the port.. i blew my port out of my old box a few months ago.. you might need a box built to specs?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

yep hopefully bumpin will be able to take care of me in a few weeks