Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

am/fm antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
am/fm antenna

I'm looking for an antenna that works better than the factory one. I've heard about a 3' Firestik set up, but I don't know if the new mount is a direct bolt up. If it is, I'm all for it. But I'm open for suggestions about any brand or mode.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi John;

I got your email but since you started a thread here, I'll answer it in public.

Yeup, it just bolts up. You have a couple of options for the mount, the one I used will fit into the factory hole, and you can also go with a lip mount that clips around the lip of the hood recess.

_BUT_ I have a negative story to share with you...

When I moved to XM radio, I found that I wasn't listening to FM radio at _all_. So, I sent my setup off to a buddy that's here on the board for him to try. He had real poor luck with it.

It's quite possible that the mount/cable/antenna had developed internal problems (like a short) or the setup wasn't as sensitive enough to work in his environment, or the classic "diversity antenna" issue came up with his 4Runner. In your email you mention a 98 Tacoma, so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Anyway, I wanted to be sure you knew that there was at least one person that had problems with the setup, but the setup was "used" so there may have been issues.

Past that...

The Firestick is a pretty heavy antenna, and it puts up a good fight with the wind while driving. The mount I used was really taxed at highway speeds - and in fact, I'd broken one at some point. So if you do this, I would recommend that if you use the factory mounting spot, also add a heavy duty spring.

Once you get the mount iin there, it's just a matter of running the wire through the side panel, into the cockpit, tuck it neat up under the glovebox and into the radio. The stock one will just unplug and the new one will plug right in.

Good luck!