Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

2nd gen 4runner "hidden sub" ideas?

Old 03-21-2008, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates on the sub you finally went with? OH, and how much you want for the DUAL?

lol.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It might be a while but when I get something else I would GIVE you the Dual.

I haven't shopped around too much but it would have to be a "shallow mount" sub. I think something like 3.5" to 4" deep.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:27 AM

Sweet! I'll help you in your quest for a sub.

Whats your price range?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:07 AM

Thanks 24runna, I am still shopping around. I don't really want to spend more than ~$80 but you cant buy a lot for that much. It will probably be a while.

I spent some time today and trimmed the panel and buttoned it all up. I also picked up an extra cover and have been messing around with what I want to do for a grill.

I am thinking a circle cut out covered in speaker grill cloth or cut slits like the factory component speaker holes. IDK yet.

I love pictures!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cheap but good sub suggestion: JL Audio 8w0-4

I'm going to install the sub I bought as a factory replacement in my old Lexus, into one of my rear qtrs behind the roll bar (1st gen). It's a
JL Audio 8w0-4. This is a really good sub for the size being only 8". I'm suggesting it because JL Audio is phasing out this line of subs and many vendors are clearancing them so you can probably find good deals if you act fast. ex:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...dio+8W0-4.html

Here's a link I just found with a quick google search of "8w0-4" that's selling them for $40! (I paid $90 3 years ago for mine.) i also found jl audio's spec sheet for this speaker (including box size info) for free download online too.

i'll be stashing an amp for it within another qtr too, and powering the 4 speakers at factory grille locations with the head unit. i'll post pics of the install when i begin. i want the entire system "invisible" when i'm done.

i think i'm gonna "dynamat" the whole truck floor first, but i have a canback so i'm wondering if i should even waste my time. i would like to cut down on the road noise tho.

good luck with your installs!
Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 PM

Any updates?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:14 AM

No Updates...It has been working pretty good. I need to upgrade my dash speakers next. I have been looking into better subs than the dual one but it seems to work OK for now.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:30 AM

what was so bad about your first idea?

how bad was the sound?
do you think you couldve improved on it without doing the new fiberglass enclosure?

i love this idea
Old 11-28-2008, 08:55 AM

I think the issue with the first Idea was the lack of mass to the enclosure. The sides and back are not rigid and would vibrate and move as the sub moved. I would have the sub cranked and get very low volume even though the speaker was moving a lot. Maybe the stock compartment would work better as a ported enclosure???

I think if you add mass to the stock compartment it would be fine. Maybe lining it with wood or fiberglass would stiffen it up. I made a new one from fiberglass because I never worked with it and it was to learn.

Keep me updated! Good luck.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:59 AM

what do you mean 'better as a ported enclosure'??
i dont know much about audio stuff
Old 11-28-2008, 09:06 AM

Well, there are two main classes of enclosures...a sealed enclosure that is airtight, and ported or "bass reflex" enclosures that have a port or hole.

Think of the stock compartment as mounting a speaker on a balloon. as the speaker moves the compartment moves and basically cancels out a lot of the air movement AKA sound.

I was just thinking if you used the stock compartment with a 3" or so port, it would let the air out as the speaker moves. This might not work because ported enclosures usually require more cubic feet than sealed.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check these out I got this set for the second 2nd gen runner I own they are the upgrade from the set in the picture I posted earlier in this tread and they rock very well $75.00 buck for 2 with free shipping , brand new in the box.

I also got two sets of the same ryval 6.5 componets with crossovers again then next generation up from my other 4runner set up brand new in the box the total for all 3 set's was $192 shipped to the door free shipping on everything plus they give you a very good warrenty with them for replacement should anything go wrong with the speakers for 1 year.

sub info
2) NEW PHOENIX GOLD 1200w 10" DVC CAR SUBS SUBWOOFERS
FREE SHIPPING! AMAZING SOUND QUALITY! WARRANTY! Item number: 220308932602

6.5's info
PHOENIX GOLD RYVAL 6.5"400 WATT COMPONENT CAR SPEAKERS
FREE SHIPPING! AMAZING SOUND QUALITY! WARRANTY! Item number: 220315595128

Amp info NOT AT SAME PLACE
PHOENIX GOLD XS6600 6-Channel XS AMPLIFIER CAR AMP
Old School PG | 6 Channels Powers Your Whole System! Item number: 170166867036

I run a PHOENIX GOLD xs6600 6 channel amp in both 4runners and the amp powers them great the sound quility is exellent and no distorition. i keep the same set up in 2 of the 3 4runners I have the 88 4runner will get a set up a bit different since it has the removeible top but you can bet it will be a simple 1 amp muti channel set up as well and yes most likily the same set up but if you like quility sound you can't go wrong with PHOENIX GOLD and they will rebuild your amp if it blows up for $135 plus shipping cant go wrong cheap to repair vs. buying a new expensive amp and there are in PORTLAND OR. so it's all U.S. made.

Just for the record I also put two little fans on the amp because I keep it cranked most always to keep the heat down so it don't shut down because of the built in overheat shut down protector (don't ask lol)

Anyway this is the set ups I run in my 4runners and I am very happy with the quilty of these speakers and the amp just though I would pass it along for anyone wanting an idea of a reasonibly priced system that will sound and last for years with little or no issues.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:33 AM

how much space do you think the first way of doing it had?

do you think that if you had a subwoofer that didnt require much cubic feet that it'd have sounded better?

maybe if you stuffed it with the fiber stuff, would that've helped it?

just brainstorming here
i love the idea of it
Old 01-06-2009, 04:56 PM

I have the exact same subs (dual) and the exact same truck........and was wondering how i should go about getting the subs into the runner. This is basically step by step!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by intelplatoon
I have the exact same subs (dual) and the exact same truck........and was wondering how i should go about getting the subs into the runner. This is basically step by step!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
I think you will be happy. I have had it for about a year and actually sounds better than some of my friends more expensive systems...plus you can still use your cargo space.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by ECMgarrett
how much space do you think the first way of doing it had?

do you think that if you had a subwoofer that didnt require much cubic feet that it'd have sounded better?

maybe if you stuffed it with the fiber stuff, would that've helped it?

just brainstorming here
i love the idea of it
I think its close to .6 cubic feet. The enclosure I built might be even smaller because the walls are thicker.

Yes...the sub in there now requires .8-1 cubic feet. You usually want to match you sub to your enclosure of vise versa.

The fiber stuff creates more surface area inside the enclosure so I think it would probably help with the frequency response of the enclosure.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:44 PM

Bump

hey guys, i picked up a 93 4runner, and i have some 12" subs laying around from a previous project, so i'm going to the crap out of the rear panels and see if i can fit one ( i may attempt one on each side) of these OZ SuperBFBs from 1999 are VG, i'd compare to JL w6's or so.
The current OZ speakers are not the same as back in late 90s.

Anyways, i was really curious if anyone else had done this....I have heard that there is alot more 4Runner specific info at T4R.org 's forum, but i still haven't gotten Admin approval to post anything for some reason...argh.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:55 PM

With a little chopping you could make anything fit.

Just pay attention to the speakers suggested enclosure volume (sq. ft.) and design (ported/sealed or both).

With a larger sub you will need a larger enclosure for it to sound best. You might want to look into messing around with 8"s or 10"s if you want the enclosures to be hidden in the walls.

Try out the 12"s and post some pics if you do!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:07 PM

Bump

Originally Posted by dirtyXplorer
With a little chopping you could make anything fit.

Just pay attention to the speakers suggested enclosure volume (sq. ft.) and design (ported/sealed or both).

With a larger sub you will need a larger enclosure for it to sound best. You might want to look into messing around with 8"s or 10"s if you want the enclosures to be hidden in the walls.

Try out the 12"s and post some pics if you do!

Yeah, i know...i guess i'm just wishing i had the cash to do all this now, but i'm going to have to wait till the baby runs, which means since the engines on a stand and apart, that it's going to be awhile...I'm just looking forward to it..... over this engine...omg.

LOL... my thoughts were to remove as much of the inner crap behind the panel(s) and make a custom box (maybe loose my fiberglass virginity) that gave me a port above the wheel wells and extended the internal Airspace for the cubic ft requirements of a 12". a box that extends to the factory speaker locations in rear & possibly remove that plastic baffle too and port in that basic location. Then move the Rear spkrs to the rear doors. or something like that.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:10 AM

Here is my enclosure

Name:  DSC00677.jpg
Views: 4123
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  DSC00678.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  61.4 KB

Mine sticks out of the panel about an 1" because I wanted to build the enclosure to the required volume for the sub. The sub of choice is the Clarion SFW 1051 shallow mount
http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_9...Subwoofer.html

Just a suggestion, I'd scrap that particle board and use either 1/2" or 3/4" MDF. You will get much better results but I suggest 3/4" over 1/2. Otherwise you have the right idea and it looks good but make sure you give your sub the appropriate breathing room or it will prematurely blow.

Here is my thread with my entire build up

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/...anyone-202623/

Last edited by airkewld4life; 02-27-2010 at 07:12 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd gen 4runner "hidden sub" ideas?