Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

2000 4Runner Factory radio lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 4Runner Factory radio lights

The radio in my 4Runner (AM/FM/ CD/Cassette player) started flickering and went out after a thunderstorm in which I was getting in and out of the vehicle.
I took the radio out of the dash, sprayed all the connectors, including the faceplate, with DeOxIT DN-5, re-assembled it and... it flickers on and off. Should I try that again (duh) or just bite the bullet and replace it with a newer radio? Gotta say I am Luddite-ish in that I like having a cassette.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by tpcope
The radio in my 4Runner (AM/FM/ CD/Cassette player) started flickering and went out after a thunderstorm in which I was getting in and out of the vehicle.
I took the radio out of the dash, sprayed all the connectors, including the faceplate, with DeOxIT DN-5, re-assembled it and... it flickers on and off. Should I try that again (duh) or just bite the bullet and replace it with a newer radio? Gotta say I am Luddite-ish in that I like having a cassette.
Antique thread, but ...
Did your fix work ?
I have a similar situtation right now on my 2000. I bought a junkyard radio cause my cassette died and swapped the faceplate when I noticed the lights did not work.
I have a very dim light now - the old one lit up fine - and if you thump the faceplate every now and then the light will come on - for a bit, as a tease.
I am like you - I like the OEM 3 play so am looking for a fix.
Thanks !
Britt
Old 09-16-2015, 06:10 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I think it's some kind of purposeful obsolescence built in by Toyota. My factory radio went dark at about 100k miles. Others said the bulbs are not replaceable. I replaced the unit with an OEM eBay unit. It went dark after less than a year. I put in a Kenwood and it's worded fine for quite a while. Learn from my mistake and just get an aftermarket radio, You'll save some money and frustration and even get Bluetooth and an easy way to play iTunes. Critchfield.com has good on line tool for finding a unit that fits.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:49 AM

Thumbs up Thanks for the response !

Originally Posted by Nervo19
I think it's some kind of purposeful obsolescence built in by Toyota. My factory radio went dark at about 100k miles. Others said the bulbs are not replaceable. I replaced the unit with an OEM eBay unit. It went dark after less than a year. I put in a Kenwood and it's worded fine for quite a while. Learn from my mistake and just get an aftermarket radio, You'll save some money and frustration and even get Bluetooth and an easy way to play iTunes. Critchfield.com has good on line tool for finding a unit that fits.
I am stubborn, and really like the OE look and unit so I am going w/ a refurbed unit thru the dealer.

I am having issue w/ the right front door speakers - both play, but at a reduced volume level compared w/ the rears & the whole left side.

Could the amplifier be bad, causing that, or could it just be the radio is bum ?

I pulled the door panel the other day and looked at the wiring & connectors, and wiggled the wires in the door loom while it was playing - no change.

I think the same truck I got my radio out of has the amp, so if that is the problem - or if it is relatively cheap I may just try it.

Someone that knows , however, and can tell me would be the better route.

Thanks for the help !

Britt
Old 09-21-2015, 04:09 AM

Thumbs up I cannot tell the amplifier made a difefrence, but ...

The "new" (junkyard ) door speakers did !

And, I found a belt for my cassette player, so got it going, swapped the junkyard radio CD player into my old housing ( the jy cd did not skip ) and put the old faceplate back on.

Frankenradio lives !

And, as a plus ( a BIG plus on a factory stereo ) the lights decided to work - well, they did w/ the all old unit, but did not with the old faceplate/JY radio combo.

So, I am happy for the moment.

I love junkyards.

Britt
Old 09-21-2015, 04:18 AM

Pic of the Belt Routing

It appears to make the reels run opposite directions, so I am lost, but it works - this is from the junkyard radio that worked. The metal cover just lifts up after being gently pried with a small screwdriver ( I don't have a good pic of that - sorry ) and there are 3 screws that hold a cover on that once removed gives you this view.

It is far easier than I thought.

Dunno how to take the cassette player out as the wires that run from the tape head to the circuit board appear to permanently mounted to the circuit board - that is probably wrong but I did not want to screw something up that worked.

FYI !

Britt