Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site

Site slow? Server problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seanmearse
Its pretty cool. Have to tinker with it a little more.

Funny thing is, I had just "upgraded" to IE8. It was stupid slow and I kept getting a "not responding" message.
IE8 is an epic fail for Microsoft.

Fink
Old 09-21-2009, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
IE8 is an epic fail for Microsoft.

Fink
You seem to know alot about computers. Have a question for you. I game on my Xbox 360, not on my computer. Its mainly used for internet and my word documents. I used to download a little music, it started getting slow. Got rid of all my music (transferred to a separate hard drive). But every once in a while this thing will just run like crap. I have upgraded all fans and added two to it. I have defragged, cleaned, and deleted EVERYTHING I dont use. It all helped a little but not enough. I have also turned off all background programs that are not needed. What else can I do. Its a Compaq Presario SR5010NX with Vista (I know, Vista is crappy).
Old 09-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by seanmearse
You seem to know alot about computers. Have a question for you. I game on my Xbox 360, not on my computer. Its mainly used for internet and my word documents. I used to download a little music, it started getting slow. Got rid of all my music (transferred to a separate hard drive). But every once in a while this thing will just run like crap. I have upgraded all fans and added two to it. I have defragged, cleaned, and deleted EVERYTHING I dont use. It all helped a little but not enough. I have also turned off all background programs that are not needed. What else can I do. Its a Compaq Presario SR5010NX with Vista (I know, Vista is crappy).
How much memory and what video card?
The biggest performance problems with Vista are caused my lack of memory and crappy video cards.

If you have adequate memory and a good video card I would suggest seeing if the computer came with a System Restore CD.
I restore both my laptops every few months - just back everything I have up on an 8GB thumb drive and it deletes and re-installs everything.

Other than that I would suggest formatting the hard drive and loading XP on it.
Windows 7 will be out soon and they're claiming it will be a huge improvement over Vista.

Once it's out and has been for a while I'll be getting a new laptop.

Let me know how much memory you have and what kind of video card you've got and we can go from there.
PM it to me though so we don't junk this thread up.

Fink
Old 09-22-2009, 04:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
How much memory and what video card?
The biggest performance problems with Vista are caused my lack of memory and crappy video cards.

If you have adequate memory and a good video card I would suggest seeing if the computer came with a System Restore CD.
I restore both my laptops every few months - just back everything I have up on an 8GB thumb drive and it deletes and re-installs everything.

Other than that I would suggest formatting the hard drive and loading XP on it.
Windows 7 will be out soon and they're claiming it will be a huge improvement over Vista.

Once it's out and has been for a while I'll be getting a new laptop.

Let me know how much memory you have and what kind of video card you've got and we can go from there.
PM it to me though so we don't junk this thread up.

Fink
2X here...Vista is a huge memory hog and I would not run it with less than 2GB even at that your cutting it close. Both my work machines have 4GB and my Home has 3.5GB.

You may want to delete all your temp files. There are a ton in the C:\windows\temp folder. May also want to run a scan with SpyBot and then do an "On Line" Scan with NOD32, Symantec, or Trend Micro.

You probably have a virus and or spyware residing on your machine from downloading Music. Very common.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
2X here...Vista is a huge memory hog and I would not run it with less than 2GB even at that your cutting it close. Both my work machines have 4GB and my Home has 3.5GB.

You may want to delete all your temp files. There are a ton in the C:\windows\temp folder. May also want to run a scan with SpyBot and then do an "On Line" Scan with NOD32, Symantec, or Trend Micro.

You probably have a virus and or spyware residing on your machine from downloading Music. Very common.
Thanks for the info lumpy, Ill try that stuff on my lunch, for now, it looks like I need a memory upgrade. Pm'ing with Fink about it.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
OK, one of the tech guy's surfed here with IE 8 and could not get the site to crash his browser.
For those of you who have had crashes from IE 8, is it any page, or just some?

Also the white blank pages we had in the past and also the slowness may have been caused by the quatum pixel.serve thing I mentioned above.
For now they have disabled it.

Please let us know here if you are having any issues, and you can also grab a screenshot and post it to show us.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:48 AM

Mine was crashing as well, only seemed like when I tried to post anything or check the new posts. This was sunday I believe. Everything seems to be working fine now...
Old 09-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
MIne just crashed with the white screen of death when trying to post a new thread in Land use...sorry should've got a screen cap
Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Which browser?
It is hanging for me right now, Firefox shows in the lower left corner
pr stats post release.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

When I was using IE8 it would crash EVERY time I tried to delete, move or merge threads.
Without fail it would crash.

It would also crash when posting a thread about 3/5 times.
When doing normal browsing it would be good for a while - sometimes when I would load my UserCP it would give me fits but that was few and far between.

Fink
Old 09-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey
Which browser?
It is hanging for me right now, Firefox shows in the lower left corner
pr stats post release.
IE8...it did it once using Firefox..