Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site

Searching for "New Posts"

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 08:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Searching for "New Posts"

Hi Corey, Chris...

I think I finally figured out "what's missing" from the new forum software... the ability to show all threads that have had new posts since a certain date. For example "show me all threads that have new posts in the last two days".

The Advance Search lets you add a similar criteria to a search, but you can't leave the text or username blank.

I'm bringing this up 'cause I'm still convinced that the "timer" tied to defining a "new post" is different than the previous version of the forum software. For example, if I first read threads that I got email notices from, and that takes a few minutes, THEN hit the "New Posts" button, I get only posts that have been made since I started reading threads - I miss everything else.

Corey, I think you pointed out that there's a 10-minute timer on the "new thread" decision, so that would fall into what I'm seeing happen. If I do any forum activity (while logged in) for more than 10 minutes and then hit "New Posts" I'll miss a lot of messages.

Anyway...

If there was a way to show "all threads with new posts in the last n days" that'd be cool.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:30 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Not sure Mark, I have never had a problem with the "View new posts" feature here.

I don't have 'Net access at work, as we are to busy to even take a break to even get on a PC.

Daily when I get home and settle in, there are 150 to 170 new posts waiting for me to view, and I don't miss any of them.

Once you log in and start reading them, I think you have 15 to 20 minutes before you cookie out and the list starts over again.

It seems we have different surfing habits here, as I don't use the forums search engine to view new posts, I hit the main link in the blue tool bar at the top of every page that says "New Posts" to get my list.
This is the only way I surf here, I never go into an individual forum to surf, unless I'm looking for an older post that has not been updated to view with "New Posts."

And you are right, I'm sure the timer here is different than the old software.
The only way to fix it is to revert to the old software, which is not going to happen.
We put way to much work into this new software, and we are still doing a few tweaks here and there on it.

I'm not sure I have an answer to your last question at this time.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey
Daily when I get home and settle in, there are 150 to 170 new posts waiting for me to view, and I don't miss any of them.
Right, if the FIRST thing you do on the system after logging in is to hit the "New Posts" button, then things are ducky. But if you do anything else, then you have a timed window to work within before the "new posts" flag gets set.

Once you log in and start reading them, I think you have 15 to 20 minutes before you cookie out and the list starts over again.
Right.. and depending on how you surf the forum, this can be a real drag.

It seems we have different surfing habits here, as I don't use the forums search engine to view new posts, I hit the main link in the blue tool bar at the top of every page that says "New Posts" to get my list.
Right, that's what I do too. I brought up the Advance Search page 'cause it shows that the authors thought about searching within ranges of "new posts from n days". They's SOOOO close to having "it right".

btw, I think it's the phpBB forum software that has the "show me all threads that have new posts in the last two days".

And you are right, I'm sure the timer here is different than the old software.
The only way to fix it is to revert to the old software, which is not going to happen.
We put way to much work into this new software, and we are still doing a few tweaks here and there on it.
No sweat Corey... I'm not looking for you guys to go back to the old software, not at all.

No worries.. I just figured I'd bring it up and see if there was hope.

You guys are still on the RC 3 software... any plans to continue on with the updates?
Old 06-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
We'll update sometime again, but it's a real PITA everytime we do.
Gotta dedicate a whole evening and sometimes a weekend to work out the bugs, just like last time.

Maybe there will be a fix to your answer in the next edition if we upgrade at a later date.