Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site

Another "new post" complaint

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:49 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Another "new post" complaint

Well ever since the site was getting database errors and all that and it was fixed, Now the new posts are being way different and its weird.

Before : I would browse the new posts, Then head over to the other forums I frequent and eventually make my way back here. When I get back, Hit new posts and have all the same posts as before except the reads were non bold and the non read were bold.

After: Browse the new posts here and then go to the other forums. Here's where it gets interesting. Now when I come back here to YT and click the new post button, The only post I see are the one that have been updated since I left. Now I cant read the threads I passed over before..

So whats up with it?

Old 06-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It is suppose to work the latter way you descried, it always has here.
When this forum fist went live and you hit new posts, you would see a list of new posts since your last visit, such as getting up in the morning after leaving.

Then if you left the sight for say 15 minutes, it would time out and you would get a new list again since new updated threads come in.

But several months ago that quit working like that, and if you left and came back later, the same posts would be there along with new updated one.
The only way to wipe out the old ones and the new ones would be to hit the link called Mark Forums Read.

I hate doing it that way, I prefer the first method I speak of here.
That is the way all other VB forums are setup that I use.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:01 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Well I understand where your going, but I was fine with the way it was before..

Because most of the time when I "come back" there's maybe 2 or 3 new posts on a good day..

But ill live

Old 06-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by scuba
Well I understand where your going, but I was fine with the way it was before..

Because most of the time when I "come back" there's maybe 2 or 3 new posts on a good day..

But ill live

Now that is strange, as we get well over several hundred new posts a day here.
There was just a 141 new ones for me since I last checked the board before going to bed.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

OK a simple test, and the forum is actually working like all other VB forums out there.

I woke up this morning and there were 147 new posts, then I turned off my browser, showered, got dressed, and came back and there are now 7 new posts in 20 minutes.
I did not have to hit the " mark forums read" link to mark them all read like I have had to be doing for several months now.
The forum is now working like it did before something got messed up.

The quirk that it was doing by showing you all posts from an earlier session is not suppose to do that.
I surf a ton of VB software type forums, and now YotaTech is working again like them with the New Posts feature.

So when you visit here and hit New Posts, you will see all the newest ones since your last login or session.
If you leave to surf another site and come back say in 20 minutes and hit New Posts again, it should not show the old unread/read ones, but only the newest ones.

Perhaps this got fixed when they worked on the corrupted database yesterweek.