Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site

15 Character rule?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WATRD
If it's "value" that you want to regulate, you need a formula that is a bit more complex than number of characters.
Maybe number of posts divided by mods would be your ''post value''

I never knew there was a minimum character requirement. I don't think there should be a minimum either because my verbiage sucks. I give props to people that have accomplished mods or need .02 worth of info. There is no value there but my count goes up. When I'm bored at work I jump onto threads just to give my .02 or talk mods.

If you take my posts and divide by mods, lockers, gears, lift, tires and 20yrs wheelin' experiance I get a ''post value'' of 0. I just like the community not the count.

Just my penny.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by WATRD
I have a philosophical difference with that. YotaTech is supposed to be a "community". That means that sometimes just showing moral support should be enough. In the same way that you sometimes don't have something to say to someone, but a quick pat on the back says plenty, adding an emoticon as your only comment to a thread can speak volumes.

Judging the value of a post merely on number of characters is as short sighted as stating that someone with more posts knows more than someone with just a few.

I have seen long diatribes that added nothing to a conversation, but I have also seen very succinct posts that pretty well said it all.

You say "Post padding does not equal value", I say that being verbose and padding are not mutually exclusive.

If it's "value" that you want to regulate, you need a formula that is a bit more complex than number of characters.

RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!
Old 03-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Those are some good points, Rob.

Maybe it would be best to just deal with the annoyances and forget the 15 character limit? I do have to agree that it doesn't take long to notice what members have something to contribute and what members don't.
I'm still learning and I'm pretty sure that's obvious to most

This is an interesting debate for sure...
Old 03-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

The only time that I find post numbers useful is when someone asks a question that has been covered a zillion times. If they have a low post count, I use that to confirm that the person is a noob and I handle them differently than someone with a pile of posts who should know how to use the "Search" feature.

Beyond that, who cares if you have 3k posts or 5k posts? It just means you talk a lot.

Perhaps join date really tells more than post numbers... Then again, I tend to make up my mind about the potential contributions of a person, based upon what I have seen them post in the past. Some folks just add more value than others.

Last edited by WATRD; 03-04-2004 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Those are some good points, Rob.

Maybe it would be best to just deal with the annoyances and forget the 15 character limit?
I'll be doing just that.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Philly:

I'm not sure if this is what Rob meant by his philosophical differences surrounding YT's sense of community but I do have to admit that the occasional funny post would seriously get buried under everything else if it was not for the icons.

Then again, there's also the opposing argument that if you wanted to share your laugh then some text surrounding the emoticon isn't too much to ask for.

Either way, you could go back and forth on this for a very long time. I think Corey summed it up best when he was talking about the forum upgrade, "... can't please everyone"
Old 03-05-2004, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I've kept my yap shut long enough.

What I like about this site is the wide variety of folks on here. There is some great tech on here and since (relatively speaking) this board is in its infancy, we have the opportunity to lay the groundwork for years to come.

Our aim as mods here is to keep it a pleasant experience for all who visit. Take our passion for quickly removing objectionable material - just one example of laying the groundwork for the future. We're setting protocol for what is OK and what's a no-no.

To the subject of short posts adding value, I believe that content is king. If someone asks a Yes/No question, why the heck would I type 15 characters to relay that info. I'll just move on to something else out of frustration. I think this is partly the case in point here.

Personally, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed - and I have the attention span to prove it. I need a little "mixin' it up" in the posts to keep it entertaining. I'm on here as much as I am to learn, share my knowledge, get ideas and be entertained. If I want purely tech, I'll just curl up with my FSM every night and read it cover to cover.

IMHO of course...
Old 03-09-2004, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just read this and never knew there was such a thing. Could be the Red Bull sleep deprived fury that I find myself in, oh well.

Post counts are silly. People who say dumb things can do it with only a smilie or some times they use who paragraphs even. I get a tremendous kick out of the people who have 1500 posts and I have read maybe 2 of their posts. In many instances, that proves they really have exactly jack to say related to what interests me.

Is it possible to dump the OT post count like on PBB? That would be interesting, perhaps more so if it were retroactive. Seems there are a lot of folks who post only in OT. What really gets me is those who are looking for useful info in OT.

How is that neon valve stem forum coming? I still laugh when I think of that Mr. WATRD, funny stuff!
Old 03-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
How is that neon valve stem forum coming? I still laugh when I think of that Mr. WATRD, funny stuff!
I am glad I can keep you amused from time to time ehhehehe
Old 03-27-2004, 03:13 AM
Contributing Member

To me post count don't mean squat, I'll do a search on an member to see what they have said in the past and make up my own mind on what their knowledge base is. I clearly remember when I first joined this board and getting flamed for being a n00b just because of my post count. Some members will never learn that quality don't mean quanity. Many forums that I belong to, I have a very small post count, but when there is something to be said I'll respond, otherwise I literally burn the search button in my quest for an answer. Ironically most of the time I can find it without ever asking.
Even though the pirate board is very hard on newbies, I have yet to be flamed for it, except by some personal friends

As for the 15 Character rule, it doesn't bother me one bit....