The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Time for the chop... a-la- 4hummer

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very Sexy. Turn that into this:

Old 07-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you keep the rain out?

do you have some sort of cover?
Old 07-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

I know right, if I had a second gen it would have been my first mod!
I bet you get neliconcept's question all the time.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:52 AM

Ops, sorry to hear you rolled, Molly. Your truck inspired me to get that rear flex, do you remember? I thought you had other than stock links hehehe

I like the chopping work but I love the 4Runner shape... Can't you just use plexyglass or sheetmetal in the windows and build an exo?

David

Last edited by Blizzard; 07-06-2006 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Or chop and make a soft top that retains the shape. Best of both worlds.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are going to do all that, bob it too...no sense leaving all the tail on there if there if it isn't covered by roof. You should be able to remove quite a bit since you don't have leaves, but if you are going to convert in the future, then i'd keep enough frame to do so. But yeah, get rid of a foot or so of that truck.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Ooo that would be sweet! Lets do that.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:13 AM

At times I wish I bobbed my truck while doing the Chop.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
I was doing this right before the carnage happened....
ouch

i saw one of these on the road today

and it made me think of this post.

don't put me on your 'good ole' fashioned beeting' list
Old 07-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

that does deserve a beating though...big pimpin
Old 07-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Way too many posts and views on a thread about something that hasn't happend.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Way too many posts and views on a thread about something that hasn't happend.

he makes a fair point

I think that you should do something different anyway...This isn't a DD, and for the wheeling you do, sheetmetal is pointless anyway...i say chop the entire top off, leaving only the windshield frame, bob the rear, and chop the rear doors down, weld them in, and build a full cage....add half doors and be done...

otherwise, you'll do a whole bunch of work to do this, and roll it again, and then have to get rid of more...better just to whack it and be done.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
At times I wish I bobbed my truck while doing the Chop.
You really thimk the bob is essential? I mean I have such a nice custom bumper, though when I bob/chop I am getting the exo done too so it won;t be that hard to change it. It's just that I like all that rear cargo room. I want to mount my 35' spare standing up and won't have room to do that (or lay it down) if I bob it. Plus I do cary a lot of spare stuff. (Axles, drivelines, birfs, hubs, blah blah blah). I will get rid of the 2nd gen tailgate because that thing is like 500 pounds and replace it with a taco (non window) tailgate.

4 Hummer did you canvas the back or what? I've got two months to do this before the MOAB TTORA takeover in October. This looks to be a reality as I am owed a bunch of overtime back pay...

SO Uh who in c-rado is available? What about the last weekend in August OR the 1st weekend after labor day?

Choppity Chop Chop!

Last edited by Lysmachia; 08-05-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
he makes a fair point

I think that you should do something different anyway...This isn't a DD, and for the wheeling you do, sheetmetal is pointless anyway...i say chop the entire top off, leaving only the windshield frame, bob the rear, and chop the rear doors down, weld them in, and build a full cage....add half doors and be done...

otherwise, you'll do a whole bunch of work to do this, and roll it again, and then have to get rid of more...better just to whack it and be done.
Ok fair point that I haven't gotten to it yet. I had to get a Job first! $$$ DUH! Because when I do it I need to finish the exo too. The reason why I won't do a full chop? (Like take the whole roof off) I am NOT a trailer queen. I want to still drive it at least 6 hours to Moab. And I am NOT doing that with open doors or open anything. Yeah I'll roll it again, but maybe with less weight in the back and reeingineering the spprings It might help. While the tippy bi@tch is not my DD I do still wan tto drive it to Moab in January and not freeze on the way...

With that in mind, open the floodgates of suggestion!
Old 08-05-2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by surf4runner
I still haven't figured out how these and Avalanches make good wheelers. I see the caddys out on the road a lot, and a few of them I have seen with some mods done to them for "wheeling" though they are all waxed and stuff...which makes no sense to me. I also thought they only made the caddy's 2WD, but I guess I was wrong after I saw the one that had the mods.

I would totally chop and bob a second gen if I had the right tools. I only have a dremel, but my bits aren't long enough. I have considered chopping my Heep, but the winters are pretty harsh...
Old 08-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by getitdone
Or chop and make a soft top that retains the shape. Best of both worlds.
That's not a bad idea... I want to get that rear top off becuase of the weight issue. Yes I will need your help.l No I don't have the 220 here. (Dammit) If I have to I'll go over to Allphase and work with them for the cleaning up for the chop because we have already designed the exo and they are working on that with me. But I like that dimaond plate. It looks super good.

4 hummer I noticed you still have your 2nd gen tailgate... Heavy thang isn't it? And where do you hide your full size spare??? I still want mine upright (passengerside) so i can more easily story crap, this the softop with the fullsize shape might be better. (If I do it like 4 hummer I have to keep my 35 lying down and it is such a space hog!)

Sorry it took me a bit to get to this but yeah I had to figure out the $$ first.

Man I'm excited, even more so to get ideas from you guys and see what we can do with this!

Last edited by Lysmachia; 08-05-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:40 AM

I suppose Michael has is spare tire in the stock location as he runs 31's, but a 35'' is a very big rubber to carry...

David
Old 08-06-2006, 05:52 AM

Actually I run 33x12.5's and the spare goes on the roof rack (When I carry a spare that is)

Old 08-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
Actually I run 33x12.5's and the spare goes on the roof rack (When I carry a spare that is)

No way in heck am I putting that tire up any higher than I have too. Uuummm I am trying to REDUCE the weight up there and thus the tippiness factor

Obviously it can't go in the stock location. If I get rid of the 2nd gen tailgate and put a taco gate on there (which is like 1/4 of the weight) I might be able to fab up a tire carrier, but currently my angle of approach and deproach is AWESOME so I really don't want to mess that up.

And 4Hummer what's this "when" you cary a spare? Bad Dog! (Though you prollly only carry it when wheeling and then it makes sense)
Old 08-06-2006, 01:41 PM

Yeah I only carry the spare when Im going wheeling, and than only to the camp site and I remove it before hitting the trails (I dont like the extra weight up there either)

I can fit the tire in the rear section aswell but it takes up allot of USEFULL Space.

Besides most of the heeps I wheel with all run 33 x 12.5 so I never really worry about getting a flat on the trail and not having the spare with me.

Quick Reply: Time for the chop... a-la- 4hummer