The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

SteveO's SAS

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravencr
I use a cheapo walmart quality air compressor and it takes only a couple of minutes to pump them up. It's really simple.

Chris
Got any pics of the installation and setup???
Old 11-02-2005, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by SteveO
Got any pics of the installation and setup???
Not really! It's really simple to install. Take out your old shocks and replace with the new ones. Then run the air lines however you want to a place that you can easily hook up a pump, and it's all good! That's it!

Chris
Old 11-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Got a few more pics up of the strut tower brace.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

More pics

OK, finally got off my but, and got some pics posted. A while back Jim came up and we put the beast into the Tank Trap. Here are some of the pics.

My favorite shot showing the strength of the SAS, and way-cool flex!

More can be seen at the below link:

http://www.hunt4steve.com/or/99_4runner_ltd/action.htm

Last edited by SteveO; 11-06-2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Good job, glad to see it's all done. If it's the same hight that it was with the Pro Comp and the leafs last year, that's not bad at all.

See you next time.
Yeah, I don't think its really that much higher. The tires sure make it seem higher. In fact just today, I was able to air down the rear tires to 12lbs, and put some weight in the back, and then I was able to actually drive it into the garage. I just need to get some steps for the Boss to get in and out with. Or, she may be using my back.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Too bad it was so dark...It doesn't do it justice.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
Too bad it was so dark...It doesn't do it justice.
I was just thinking of how I could use some serious daylighters up top to really light up the place. Some cool flood lights maybe....
Old 11-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Nice. The YJ-62 visited it, even tough you weren't there. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

My 99 is done, I'm now building a buggy.

http://www.sonoransteel.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=225
Old 11-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Nice. The YJ-62 visited it, even tough you weren't there. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Wow, a buggy. Which means Trailer Queen, which means Tow rig, Chaaa-Ching! You must have a money tree in the back yard!

Will you be entering the competition rinks?
Old 11-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

Nope, and according to the Park Ranger at Pismo Beach, Arizona is not a "real" state and will licesnse anyting.

No tow rig for me, It will have bonified AZ plates and I'll drive it.

There's more to it than meets the eye. It's won't just be a tube Toyota. Something a little different from 1946.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:59 PM

SAS'd 99 Runner and now a buggy. Always one step behind me huh?

On the bright side you will probably finish before me. I am finding it to be slow going due to lack of funds for such a super expensive project.

Fortunately I already have the tow rig covered (probably why I have so little money for the project). You may be able to drive it on the street, but what happens when you break it? Trust me, even if you are able to limp it home, it makes for quite the butt puckering experience.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:38 PM

I just don't get it anymore... People throw tons of money in their 3rd 4runners (crawlers, SAS, gears, lockers, etc etc etc) go out and wheel it a few times, constantly brag about having one of the "sickest" 3rd gen 4runners, and the next thing you know they are either selling it or building something better. Why not just off-road the living hell out of the dam thing and continue to build it. That will give you real bragging rights. Anybody with time, money, and practice can build an awesome rig... but the ones who will really stand out have started from scratch and are steadily building their rig according to their needs. At the same time they are wheeling to their limits throughout! Yeah 3rd gens are still pretty nice and new but they are only getting older. Plus, those nice new parts will make it reliable and sturdy compared to buying an old POS and trying to totally refurbish it. Sure we would all love a competition crawler with all the latest doodads, but thats not why we bought 4runners in the first place! Why not keep wheeling what you have, eventually loose the sheetmetal, and continue with the dreams you once had?

Stevo, i sure hope your not planning on building a buggy anytime soon. Keep up what you have going!

Last edited by MellamoPOUND; 11-08-2005 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by MellamoPOUND
I just don't get it anymore... People throw tons of money in their 3rd 4runners (crawlers, SAS, gears, lockers, etc etc etc) go out and wheel it a few times, constantly brag about having one of the "sickest" 3rd gen 4runners, and the next thing you know they are either selling it or building something better. Why not just off-road the living hell out of the dam thing and continue to build it. That will give you real bragging rights. Anybody with time, money, and practice can build an awesome rig... but the ones who will really stand out have started from scratch and are steadily building their rig according to their needs. At the same time they are wheeling to their limits throughout! Yeah 3rd gens are still pretty nice and new but they are only getting older. Plus, those nice new parts will make it reliable and sturdy compared to buying an old POS and trying to totally refurbish it. Sure we would all love a competition crawler with all the latest doodads, but thats not why we bought 4runners in the first place! Why not keep wheeling what you have, eventually loose the sheetmetal, and continue with the dreams you once had?

Stevo, i sure hope your not planning on building a buggy anytime soon. Keep up what you have going!
LOL. It is human nature to always want to upgrade I guess. I know I always want to move on to the next challenge. I probably would have wheeled the 44Runner for years to come had I not had to move to coastal SC. It made no since for me to have a really nice street legal truck when I would have to trailer it to the trails anyways. The closest trails that are even worth running are 5 hours from here. And if I am gonna drive that far I will just continue on to tellico.

I sold the Runner to buy the Dodge to eventually tow the buggy and the Runner now lives out in Utah close to some bitchin wheelin.

I still love the idea of a SA 3rd Gen (of course) and I can't wait to see Steveo's done...
Old 11-08-2005, 03:04 PM

Yeah, it is fun to get onto a new project. I guess I just can't wait to see someone smash up their heavily modified 3rd gen and eventually turn it into some sort of buggy. If only I had some money lying around

Last edited by MellamoPOUND; 11-08-2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:12 PM

Yeah, it is fun to get onto a new project. I guess I just can't wait to see someone smash up their heavily modified 3rd gen and eventually turn it into some sort of buggy. If only I had some money lying around
Had I kept it long enough that would have probably been its fate. the thing was so capable it would have only been a matter of time before I got it into some serious ˟˟˟˟˟ and rolled it over, lol.

Given the sale price of my runner, I probably could have turned it into a buggy for what I will eventually end up spending on the one i am building now. but since the current project is custom from the ground up it will turn out a lot cooler. I like a tube chassis better anyways...

Last edited by 44Runner; 11-08-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

........Why not just off-road the living hell out of the dam thing and continue to build it. ..........

I'm definitly not going to go the buggy route. I really like wheeling with Air conditioning, heat in the winter and protection from the elements. When I roll it (the way I wheel, it'll happen) I'll cut the back out of it, and make a convertable style rig. But, no doubt about it, I'm gonna wheel the pee out of this rig!

My goal was to build a rig that I could comfortabely drive to the trail, a trail 12 hours away, wheel the hard stuff, and then comfortabely drive home. That in my opinion is hard core. Thats putting faith in your rig, your building expertise, your setup and driving skill to ensure that you get home. I tried to build strong components with redundancy such as dual batteries, Full Floater rear end, chromoly axles, heavy duty drivelines (rear drive shaft is 1/8" wall) and tough tires. I love to run expeditions, so that means more weight, with means it will eventually have air-bags or some type of device to carry more weight, but maintain serious flex.

So, yeah, I'm gonna keep my Runner, even after a roll, and wheel the pee out of it and enjoy every bit of it. As it stands right now, the ride on the highway is better than stock, I get no vibrations from the tires, it has incredible flex, very strong components, redundant critical items, its just flat out more than I expected!

Old 11-08-2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by SteveO
My goal was to build a rig that I could comfortabely drive to the trail, a trail 12 hours away, wheel the hard stuff, and then comfortabely drive home. That in my opinion is hard core. Thats putting faith in your rig, your building expertise, your setup and driving skill to ensure that you get home. I tried to build strong components with redundancy such as dual batteries, Full Floater rear end, chromoly axles, heavy duty drivelines (rear drive shaft is 1/8" wall) and tough tires. I love to run expeditions, so that means more weight, with means it will eventually have air-bags or some type of device to carry more weight, but maintain serious flex.
Are you still running an 8" rear I take it? If so your rear R&P will more than likely be your weak link. I would HIGHLY suggest at LEAST getting them cryoed while you have the truck down.

If I was still wheeling the 4Runner I would bet there would be a 60 or 9" under it right now...
Old 11-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

I need a new project. I'll still wheel the 3rd Gen. But there is a point where you need to call it good and work on something else.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 44Runner
Are you still running an 8" rear I take it? If so your rear R&P will more than likely be your weak link. I would HIGHLY suggest at LEAST getting them cryoed while you have the truck down.

If I was still wheeling the 4Runner I would bet there would be a 60 or 9" under it right now...
No doubt the 4Runner will stay with me, but the components therein....now that's a different story. Indeed, when I blow the rear axle apart, yeah, a 60 would probably be the next item to go under it.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:37 PM

I need a new project. I'll still wheel the 3rd Gen. But there is a point where you need to call it good and work on something else.
no arguement from me there. I know exactly what you mean...

Quick Reply: SteveO's SAS