The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

SteveO's SAS

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-19-2005, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

Glad to see everybody has a sense of humor here.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

On a more serious note. How does it ride with coils up front and leaves in back. Also mind if I ask the pricing on the sway aways? Seeing this makes me want to do a *gasp* SAS on my rig.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Praufet
On a more serious note. How does it ride with coils up front and leaves in back. Also mind if I ask the pricing on the sway aways? Seeing this makes me want to do a *gasp* SAS on my rig.
It rides really, really, really nice. Mind you, I still have to get a sway bar, but its a great ride.

I purchased the 14" Sway-a-way shocks for 500 from a Pirate member.

I then spent around 300 on the coils.
Then you have to consider the links. My bottom links are 2" OD with 1.5" OD all 1/4" thick. Mo money. If you do the sas, and think it will take 1 month, plan for two months. If you think it will cost 1000, plan for 1750. There is a lot of small odds and ends that go into making this work. I made many, many trips to the hardware store getting grade 8 bolts, nuts, nylocks, etc. Between, work, school, working on other peoples computers, being married, and then getting to work on the 4Runner; it took me a little over 4 months to get it done. On top of that, I had some help during a critical push to get it ready for the August CO4RJ. I didn't make it because a company sent me the wrong coils. Be prepared for a lot of that as well. *sigh*, you'd think the Vendors could get the correct product out the door the 1st time, especially when you pay for over-night shipping.

Anyway, its life-consuming and expensive. BUT, in the end, I won't frett about breaking or exploding another CV joint on Pritchitt Canyon. I won't fret about climbing whale rock and snapping an ORS axle. I have snapped two ORS axles, and blown 1 outboard ORS CV joint, as well as Tacoma axles. For me, it was time for the 44 and chromoly axles.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Good job, glad to see it's all done. If it's the same hight that it was with the Pro Comp and the leafs last year, that's not bad at all.

See you next time.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:35 PM

Steve, why don't you look at and adjustable air system in the back so you can air down for the trail and pump it up on the road trips. Just an idea that would make it work well on the trail, yet still have the load carrying capacity when you need it.

Chris
Old 10-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ravencr
Steve, why don't you look at and adjustable air system in the back so you can air down for the trail and pump it up on the road trips. Just an idea that would make it work well on the trail, yet still have the load carrying capacity when you need it.

Chris
Steve, I would say its a tad higher due to the tires. I measured them, and they really are 37" tires.

Chris, you mean Air-bags?
Old 10-20-2005, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by SteveO
Steve, I would say its a tad higher due to the tires. I measured them, and they really are 37" tires.

Chris, you mean Air-bags?
Well, since you have leaf's in the rear now, either air bags or air shocks like the ones I have would work wonders for your load carrying capacity.

Chris
Old 10-20-2005, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

hmmmm, air bags on the leaf springs, and when I don't need them, deflat them so I can get the compression out of the springs. good idea.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:38 AM
Banned

i have the bags for coil springs (bought them off of chris actually) and really like them.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/air-lift-rear-bags-w-cab-controller-installed-69411/
Old 10-20-2005, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

Very nice, looks like this is the route I may have to go. I'm planning on putting an auxiliary tank where the spare tire used to be as well, so I will definitely need more load carrying capacity.

Very cool
Old 10-20-2005, 06:08 AM
Banned

a-hem....

you mean like this?

Old 10-20-2005, 06:10 AM

hmmmm, air bags on the leaf springs, and when I don't need them, deflat them so I can get the compression out of the springs. good idea.
Yep, either that or use air shocks, which I've done on mine, and love it. It's the best of both worlds.

Chris
Old 11-02-2005, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
a-hem....

you mean like this?

I take it you built your own take........
Old 11-02-2005, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Yep, either that or use air shocks, which I've done on mine, and love it. It's the best of both worlds.

Chris
Air shocks, such as the ones used on the Rock Crawlers. I didn't think they could hold the weight. Its really tight up under there with the gas tank, battery, shocks on top of the axle, gas tank coming

My real question is, will the air bag seperate from the cone plate, enough to flex. I have a lot of flex with my current rear leaf setup.

Old 11-02-2005, 05:41 AM

Air shocks, such as the ones used on the Rock Crawlers. I didn't think they could hold the weight. Its really tight up under there with the gas tank, battery, shocks on top of the axle, gas tank coming

My real question is, will the air bag seperate from the cone plate, enough to flex. I have a lot of flex with my current rear leaf setup.

I use air shocks for my setup, and they work really well. If you find a Monroe Air shock the similar length of your current shocks, you're good to go, and you don't have to worry about taking up extra space with additional air bags. That's what I would recommend.

Chris
Old 11-02-2005, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

I use air shocks for my setup, and they work really well. If you find a Monroe Air shock the similar length of your current shocks, you're good to go, and you don't have to worry about taking up extra space with additional air bags. That's what I would recommend.

Chris
Ok, so I assume that if you want to carry more weight, you would put more pressure into the air shocks, thus needing an onboard air supply.

And when you are carrying no weight, you let most of the air out of the shocks......
Old 11-02-2005, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, so I assume that if you want to carry more weight, you would put more pressure into the air shocks, thus needing an onboard air supply.

And when you are carrying no weight, you let most of the air out of the shocks......
Yep, you got it. I used to run these on my muscle cars to get that raked look.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:11 PM

I use a cheapo walmart quality air compressor and it takes only a couple of minutes to pump them up. It's really simple.

Chris

Quick Reply: SteveO's SAS