The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Right build for me

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right build for me

Hello, Been lurking the forums for awhile and used this sight many time for repairs on my pickup. I have a 93 extra cab. 100% stock other than my 32x11.5 bfg's. So that brings up my questions. I wanna mildly build my truck, that means a good sas. Probably pick one up at a junk yard for 200-300. For the sas kit. I'm thinking marlin, but open to other brands. Possibly lockers over time. Want to run 35's or bigger. Will regear to compensate. Just wondering how much lift I need to clear some bigger tires. All and any advice will be greatly appreciated. Btw I love the sight keep it up yota tech!!
Old 05-01-2015, 02:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Why do you need bigger tires ??

Might want to be looking for the axle so you can rebuild it have it ready to go

IF your doing the SAS swap it is much easier to do the lockers at the same time

This I found out over the years.

Get the drive train squared away and be done.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:02 PM

Im not looking to build a crawler. But I want something that can get me where I want to go. For example some duck slews I hunt are soupy as hell. Fish house runner, checkin trap lines back in the sticks. So I don't need huge improvements. I don't need super short crawling gears. I'd actually prefer a little longer gears. Build will not start till this fall when I get laid off. Working away from home sucks. Located the axle on Craigslist but the guy won't send me pics so I'm thinking it's complete trash.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:23 AM

If you're not building a crawler, then a SAS is really not a wise investment of money or resources. In fact, for what you say that you'll be needing it for, I'd be surprised if you even needed anything bigger than 33" tires. I know folks running 35s on stock IFS and they're holding up just fine. Truth be told, your stock front end will translate to better road manners and high-speed behavior.
Some suspension upgrades and a limited slip in the rear, and you should be fine for mud and muck but still have a truck that's polite enough for daily use.

As far as gears go; the bigger the tire, the taller the gear, that's just how it goes. These trucks don't make much power, and they need all the help they can get. If you go up to 33s or 35s on the stock gears, you'll end up with a gutless pig that can pretty much only cruise well. Here's a useful chart to get you an idea of what tire diameters are frequently paired with differential ratios: http://4lo.com/calc/geartable.php
Toyota tends to skew more in the "power" zone (smaller tires and taller gears) while most domestic trucks tend to skew into the "economy" zone (larger tires and shorter gears).
Hope this helps!

Last edited by RobotMoose; 05-04-2015 at 02:27 AM.