The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

i need your opinion on bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need your opinion on bumpers

I am currently finalizing a bumper design for tacomas and 4runners, and I thought I would get opinions. I was wondering how important everyone thinks it is to keep the stock skid plates on their vehicles? With my current design, when one installs my bumper on the later style tacomas (where the brace for the skid plates bolts into the front of the frame) they must remove that bracket in order to properly fit the bumper. I noticed that TJM has no solution, but I'm not sure what others have done. I can fabricate a new bracket, but I was just wondering how important keeping the stock skid plate is to everyone. Here is the pictures of the front bumper before it went off to powder coat... I will post the powder coated version once I get it back. Tell me what you think, I am open to any suggestions.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y10...y/PICT1482.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y10...y/PICT1481.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y10...y/PICT1480.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y10...y/PICT1479.jpg

I also forgot to add that it will come with turn signals, they're just not in the picture.

Last edited by supahonkey; 04-22-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, your rig obviously doesn't need a skidplate, but I'd offer the bracket if they want it, more options, more sales. You might even consider adding some hoopage, again, more options, more sales.

Nice clean work...looks good. I think it would look real tight with a hawse type fairlead instead of a roller one. Just my 0.02.

Old 04-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Banned

looks reallll nicee! good work!
Old 04-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Great looking bumper. Ditto to waskilly's comments.
p.s. is that a VA inspection sitcker?? VA SAS...gotta represent
Old 04-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Supa,

That's some nice work there!
What were you thinking of charging?

Like Waskilly was saying - it'd probably be best to give people that option. I would think there might be people out there that'd prefer to have the stock plate over nothing at all (aftermarket not considered)
Old 04-22-2005, 08:35 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for the opinions so far. I was thinking of some hoopage, but i don't know how will it would go with the square/rectangular look of the rest of the bumper. I will definitely bend some up tomorrow and take a picture to get your opinion. Yeah, that is a VA inspection sticker... a customer dropped his bone stock 97 tacoma off at my shop in Indiana, he owns dc4wd.com. Yeah, I agree about the hawse fairlead, but that was what the customer wanted. I am still finalising prices with a laser cutter, but I am looking at somewhere in the range of $800.00 powder coated with black powder coated d-rings included. What is with all these companies offering bumpers with d-ring tabs, but no d-ring? cmon now! I am having a friend drop off his tacoma tomorrow so I have a stock tacoma to fabricate a skid plate bracket (whatever it's called)

What do you all think of rewiring the turn signals? I have been having a hell of a time trying to find some turn signals where you can just take the bulbs and bulb assembly out and put it into the turn signal housing/projector (whatever it's called). I know that TJM bumpers require you to splice the turn signals and was wondering if that was considered a big deal to do?
Old 04-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Banned

looks nice. I'd buy one if you made them for 2003+ 4Runners.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

Nice bumper and its exactly what ive been looking for but will you be making them for a 2nd generation Runner? I think it would look good with Steve's
Sonoran rear bumper which i plan on getting...

If you will be making them for a 2nd gen then id definitely get one as long as a skid plate can still attached and the hoopage is mininal.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:29 PM

I like the nice clean look of it.

Personally I don't care for hoops - I think it detracts from the rugged look, plus they don't seem to have any function.

I was thinking about getting a TJM 17 bumper someday, but like your design better...hmmm

Definitely post pics of it powder coated black!
Old 04-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Banned

i like that bumper a lot, but dont like the d shackle mounts protruding like that.....
Old 04-22-2005, 09:49 PM

Thanks guys. I will possibly have a 2nd gen in the shop here in the next month, so I will definitely be able to make my bumper work. I have a 3rd gen scheduled in the shop in a couple of weeks, so I can make sure that my bumper will work on those as well. I will have a rear bumper for a 3rd gen (and possibly 2nd gen) 4runner coming out sometime around the middle of May. I will also have a tire carrier option for the rear bumper once it is available. I want to make that front bumper applicable for 4runners and tacomas.

Thanks for the opinions, I believe that I will offer a hoop as an option. As far as hoops go, just one over the winch, or two more covering the lights? This front bumper isn't the only bumper, I will have more designs in the near future.

the d-rings will be an option then! thanks!

Last edited by supahonkey; 04-22-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Banned

if i were to put hoops on that, i would have the big main and the side ones as well...
Old 04-23-2005, 01:59 PM

Very nice indeed!

I was planning on using sequential directional turn signals (operating like the top pic) when I build mine...

I would sure like to see some images of the back side of that bumper. How heavy is it? Did you use 3/16" plate on the outside?
Old 04-23-2005, 08:08 PM

The bumper is around 90 pounds, not too bad. Yes, I used 3/16" flat stock. The bumper is completely boxed in, making it extremely strong. A piece of 3/8" flat stock spans the entire width of the front flat part, making a sturdy winch mount, while making the overall bumper more rigid. Implementing any LED turn signal would drive the cost of the bumper up too much. Unless the market demands LED signals, I'll stick with a regular old bulb.

I fab'd some tubes today, and I did notice that they block a small portion of the head lights on the 98- whatever style headlights (the really big ones). If I move the tubes over so they don't obstruct the headlights, they end up looking weird because they weld so close to the edge of the bumper. I'll come up with a solution shortly. Thanks!

Last edited by supahonkey; 04-23-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Nice bumper, but you'll need more gap between the body, otherwise they'll hit during flex. to save weight you can make the top plate out of 11 guage without losing strength.

Hehe, I eventually will modify my TJM to use the LED turn signals posted...
Old 04-25-2005, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ganoid
Very nice indeed!

I was planning on using sequential directional turn signals (operating like the top pic) when I build mine...

I would sure like to see some images of the back side of that bumper. How heavy is it? Did you use 3/16" plate on the outside?
Those signals are sweet. Where are you getting them from?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:21 PM

Its real pretty and looks good, but what is the strength like, where are the mounting points, how many mounting points, more info on the steel you used, is it like those PATHETIC TJM's. It does look like you could stand the truck on it. I just am lol at all the people who havent inquired about it, maybe they are the people who keep TJM in business. sorry just my .02
The bumper seems awesome, I am a tube man myself, but I like those better than the ARB's. I dont think the tube will work at all on that bumper (looks wise) looks aside a stinger is nice in a roll over
Old 04-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 91Toyota4x4
Those signals are sweet. Where are you getting them from?

You can get them Here
Old 04-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

If I didn't already have a TJM, then I would be interested.
I personally like it better w/o hoops.
My .02

**edit**
Wiring up the blinkers should not be a big deal for someone who is interested in a bumper that serious.

Last edited by terryjmatthew; 04-26-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:23 AM

wow, sweet bumper! that's exactly how i want to do mine. once you start to sell these things, maybe we could get a group buy going...

Quick Reply: i need your opinion on bumpers