The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Homemade Slider Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homemade Slider Build-up

After a couple months of research, too much money in tools, and a sudden jolt of motivation, I finally launched on this project today.

It all started with this...

Tools used:
120V Wirefeed welder with flux core wire
Harbor Freight Cutoff Saw
Angle Gringer
Wire Wheel, and Brushes
Welding Table and Vise
Protractor

Designed on Solidworks.

A dozen measurements from the truck scribbled on the back of an envelope, and a couple of hours playing on solid works netted this.

Solidworks is an amazing program. Pricey, even for the personal version, but HIGHLY recommended.

A few hours in the shop, and plenty of time fixing my crummy chop saw job with the grinder and I had one side almost complete.

This is my first metal fabrication job. I just learned how to weld a couple weeks ago, and I'm actually plesantly suprised at how well it's coming along. I've had to grind out and fix a couple of welds, and I screwed my angles ALL up with the chop saw, but nothing the angle grinder couldn't fix. After it was welded up, I was within an 1/8th of an inch of the plans between the outside points.

I'll tell you what, this is MUCH more work than I thought it would be. I've got a new level of respect for all the folks who do fabrication for a living. But that said, it's an absolute blast! I'm learning tons, and there's a couple of guys in the shop where I'm working that have some moderate interest in what I'm doing. Every once in a while they wander in and show me how I'm screwing something up.

Updates will follow. I'll be back in there working on it Saturday. Any suggestions are appreciated, and any questions I'll do my best to answer.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

looking pretty darn good for just learning to weld.. are you going to cap the ends ?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Gorilla cut w/ the chop saw and always square the "blade" with the holding piece...or you'll get a bad angle every time. Don't go by the angle finder on the saw...mine is NEVER on target and a couple degrees makes for an ugly cut and time w/ the grinder.

Looking good.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ric
looking pretty darn good for just learning to weld.. are you going to cap the ends ?
Yes sir. I've got to make a run back to the store to buy scab plates, and I'll try to find something to cap the ends with while I'm there. (I also have to buy some more tube, I uhhh...miscalculated...(yeah that's it, haha) a couple of cuts today, and now need to replace what I trashed.

One of the guys at the shop gave me the scoop on how to cap them, so we'll see if I can make it look decent.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Banned

heres a suggestion you dont want to hear -

take back the HF chop saw and get a better one (basically any of the models at Home Depot/Lowes are better...). me and chris (getitdone) tried using his HF chop saw to make his sliders, and it sucks. it doesnt cut straight down, and everything had to be ground square.

other than that, they look good. is that 2x2 1/8"?

keep it up...
Old 05-10-2006, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by garrett1478
heres a suggestion you dont want to hear -

take back the HF chop saw and get a better one (basically any of the models at Home Depot/Lowes are better...). me and chris (getitdone) tried using his HF chop saw to make his sliders, and it sucks. it doesnt cut straight down, and everything had to be ground square.

other than that, they look good. is that 2x2 1/8"?

keep it up...
It's a borrowed saw. I'd never buy one after using this one. I've got a bandsaw lined up to use this Saturday (borrowed), and it should help a LOT. Never used one of those bandsaw chop saws though, so I'm hoping there's not too much of a learning curve.

Good call on the HF saw though. It gets the job done, but you do get what you pay for, and I never did like spending an hour slinging the angle grinder.

Yep, 2x2 square. .125 wall (11 gauge I think). Heavy...

Last edited by foxtrotuniform; 05-10-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Contributing Member

I can dig it.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:55 PM

Has anyone had bad experiences with just welding the 2x2 beams straight to the frame without scab plates. I know they are done both ways, what do you guys think?
Old 05-22-2006, 02:30 PM

I wouldn't suggest doing it, if you plan to use the sliders. probably heard it a bagillion times, but I would make diamond shaped scab plates. Cut them square and turn them so the corners are pointed North, south, east, and west. This will distribute the strain better. You wont be pushing on a vertical, or horizontal weld. For even more strength you could even drill a couple of holes towards the center of the plate, and weld there also. Looks really good for a beginner, and I hate to say it that way, because I would have believed you were experienced from looking at the pics.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by SlightlyModified
I wouldn't suggest doing it, if you plan to use the sliders. probably heard it a bagillion times, but I would make diamond shaped scab plates. Cut them square and turn them so the corners are pointed North, south, east, and west. This will distribute the strain better.
I've got a question. How big do you think the scab plates should be? The arms that attach to the frame are 1.5" .125 wall. I was thinking something like 4"x4" by 1/4" plate.

As an update, I've got both sliders completely welded up and painted. They're probably going to be welded on the truck tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Banned

I think that will suffice...about what I did.

Old 05-26-2006, 06:46 PM

ditto, I would say 4x4" would be great
Old 05-26-2006, 07:36 PM

Pics!! I bet we all want to see what they look like put on and painted! I like the CAD design too!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey, this may be a stupid question but, when you guys say 2" square tubing or 1 3/4" round tubing, is that measured inside or outside??? The reason I ask is the maintenance shop at where I work has a large supply of 1 1/2" (ID) 80 schedule pipe that I was wondering if it will be enough for fabbing up sliders with. Any ideas?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Banned

Tubing is called out as outside diameter x thickness
Piping is called out as NOMINAL diameter x schedule (wall thickness)

The two have different names for a reason as they are different.

Generally, piping is for pressure retention, tubing is structural.

1.5" SCH 80 Pipe is 1.5" ID (just happens to work out that way) or 1.90" OD.
Sure you can use it for sliders, personally I would not.

Google pipe vs. tubing and do some light reading and you'll learn a lot.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Always so helpful Brian... they look good man! Keep it up, and post us some pics!
Old 08-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Update???? Pleeeze......
Old 12-31-2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
Update???? Pleeeze......
Jesus, I finished this project ages ago. I'll post up some pics tomorrow. Sorry about the LONG delay.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:45 AM

Sliders Finished

After a LOOOONG delay, here's the completed pics of the sliders. The project took longer than I thought it would, but the end results were totally acceptable. For my first fab job, I'm pretty satisfied.

These are set to a 15degree angle to horizontal, and so far that has worked pretty well for me.

My measurements were all spot on, and required no adjustments in mounting. Anyone that wants to copy the design, feel free to use the measurement sheet posted earlier in this thread as a guide.

Any thoughts, or suggestions on this project are welcome and appreciated!
Old 01-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good! (Thanks for the update...Now I can finally sleep... )

Quick Reply: Homemade Slider Build-up