The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Disc Brake Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disc Brake Mounts

Wanted to bounce this off of some more experienced fabbers than myself before I went and messed something up. I am making disc brake mounts for my 3rd gen but instead of making it a bolt on deal (which have failed) I am going to weld them up to my axle tube. I figure this is safer, stronger, and probably easier.

My thickness of choice is 3/8" steel.

Now as far as making a template I was thinking of using some plywood and messing around with my jigsaw till I found something I liked and then take it to a plasma cutter. Is this the best way to accomplish this?

I figure the really tough part will be making sure that the bracket is 100% square on the axle tube.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Maybe just a tad more info
Is this a rear drum to disc conversion??

Why have the bolt on ones failed??

As a Fabricator I will bolt things before welding

Welding most often being the last option only because of the time to remove said piece.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Maybe just a tad more info
Is this a rear drum to disc conversion??

Why have the bolt on ones failed??

As a Fabricator I will bolt things before welding

Welding most often being the last option only because of the time to remove said piece.
Yes it is a drum to disc conversion. Trying it on my 3rd Gen t4r

As far as the failure goes I am not certain but my guess would be because of bolt sheer and/or metal fatigue.

One of the reasons for the welding is the amount of surface contact area vs. using bolts. Another is the fact that using bolts smaller than the caliper mount bolts where the force has more leverage failure is going to happen at some point.

Now I could bolt it before I weld it as a step in the build process. That would solve getting it square on the axle.

The last reason for everything is I am trying to mimic what the OEM setup for that brake is (namely a mustang gt). I have all the parts already and I am pretty sure I figured out the parking brake. That remains to be seen though.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:29 AM

Red face

Is it impossible to increase the size of the bolts.

Know I am just working at being the devils Advocate here.

That being said And Your welding knowledge good enough to know what your doing go for it.

Knowing full well if you can`t see and your not comfortable The weld quality goes down hill very fast.

You do have the complete axle assembly out and on a stand??

Might also take some cooking to get all the gunk out of the area your welding.

After 40 years I get fussy.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:40 AM

Is it impossible to increase the size of the bolts.

Know I am just working at being the devils Advocate here.

That being said And Your welding knowledge good enough to know what your doing go for it.

Knowing full well if you can`t see and your not comfortable The weld quality goes down hill very fast.

You do have the complete axle assembly out and on a stand??

Might also take some cooking to get all the gunk out of the area your welding.

After 40 years I get fussy.
Devils advocate is what I am after. I appreciate the criticism.

Can't increase the size of the bolts sadly and I know I can't do the welding but I have someone who can. He's been welding for as long as I've been alive.

Right now the axle is still under the truck but when I do all the work the axle will be gutted and on a stand. I will fashion the bracket while it's still installed so that I am sure it will clear everything.

As far as gunk goes I think I will be ok. There's nothing on there but the factory coating. After I finish the rebuild, disc mounts, and elocker retrofit I will be painting the axle in chassis saver.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:13 AM

Red face

Good Luck

living in the desert is not as bad as the rust belt of the east coast.

If your welder is good they will know about these things
Old 06-28-2014, 05:34 AM

Good Luck

living in the desert is not as bad as the rust belt of the east coast.

If your welder is good they will know about these things
I am saving for a welder and hope to pick up the trade but this project is better done where I have access to a full shop than after I get out of the military.

Disc Brake Mounts-forumrunner_20140628_060947.png

I am from kentucky so I know what a horrible thing that rust is. I just happen to be stationed out here in the desert. My 4runner has never seen the east coast. I picked it up when I came back from Japan as I was passing through Seattle.

However I know my 4runner will be there someday so a lot of my projects are re-painting the frame, undercoating, and just making sure I don't leave any bare metal. I want to keep this truck.

Last edited by KryptoRoxx; 06-28-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:31 PM

All Toyota Disc Brake Conversion

This is a pic of my all Toyota rear disc brake conversion. I used 2000 Tacoma front rotors with 1994 Corolla front calipers, mounts and flex hoses. I had the axles turned down a bit so the Tacoma rotors would slide right on to the axles but the same could be accomplished by running the truck in low gear and using a grinder. I removed the backing plates and changed the bearings while I was at it. After getting the rotors mounted I made a template to mount the Corolla caliper assemblies then had it cut out at a machine shop using a computerized flame cutter. I mounted the bracket using 4 grade 8 bolts then mounted the caliper mounts and pads with a couple washers for proper spacing. Next I installed the Corolla calipers and flex hoses with some new lines. I run the 1" V-6 master cylinder with the stock 4 cylinder front calipers and the pedal is perfect. The Corolla calipers have a fairly small piston so they provide perfect balance front to back even on snow and ice. Does not require an adjustable proportoning valve, residual check valves or any of that mickey mouse stuff. No Chevy parts on my Yota!
Attached Thumbnails Disc Brake Mounts-disc-brake-conversion-025.jpg  
Old 03-14-2015, 06:33 PM

Old 03-14-2015, 06:35 PM

Old 03-14-2015, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by NorthBayPete
This is a pic of my all Toyota rear disc brake conversion. I used 2000 Tacoma front rotors with 1994 Corolla front calipers, mounts and flex hoses. I had the axles turned down a bit so the Tacoma rotors would slide right on to the axles but the same could be accomplished by running the truck in low gear and using a grinder. I removed the backing plates and changed the bearings while I was at it. After getting the rotors mounted I made a template to mount the Corolla caliper assemblies then had it cut out at a machine shop using a computerized flame cutter. I mounted the bracket using 4 grade 8 bolts then mounted the caliper mounts and pads with a couple washers for proper spacing. Next I installed the Corolla calipers and flex hoses with some new lines. I run the 1" V-6 master cylinder with the stock 4 cylinder front calipers and the pedal is perfect. The Corolla calipers have a fairly small piston so they provide perfect balance front to back even on snow and ice. Does not require an adjustable proportoning valve, residual check valves or any of that mickey mouse stuff. No Chevy parts on my Yota!
Do those calipers cover the entire rotor surface?
Old 03-15-2015, 06:30 AM

Do those calipers cover the entire rotor surface?

Not totally but as you can see in the first pic its pretty close. Creates a very balanced braking system.