4Runners-3rd gen Post your 3rd gens here

VSU_4runnin's Profile/build up...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSU_4runnin's Profile/build up...

This shall be my profile to see and enjoy.... Per Forum Rules, Please NO COMMENTS

My rig 98 4runner SR5 4WD 2.5" lift, land cruiser rear springs, 33" BFG A/T Ko

The day after I bought it... all shined up

after a wknd of Camping

Before the lift

After

PER FORUM RULES NO COMMENTS!!! pm for details.questions

Last edited by VSU_4runnin; 03-02-2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2009, 05:06 PM

Well this week I got some special presents!!

After months of researching, and cursing UPS I finally got all my ham radio equipment..
I decided on a Yaesu FT-7800r VHF/UHF radio, with a Diamond sg7500a dual band antenna, and a Diamond K400s mount. I ordered from universal radio, they were very helpful, were able to reccomend things, and put up with all my questions.

(for some good information on various radios, getting cert.'d or general info see this thread)

The first thing was to make a filter to help cure alternator whine due to the A/C interference
Special thanks to toyospearo for this
(how to)

And Mounted using lots of gorilla glue, and mighty putty

Then I installed the Antenna and mount

It Folds!

Then I ran the coax into the cab, I went down one of the hood supports, then pulled it into the quarter panel, in through the door jamb, then through the plastic kick panels (or w/e theyre called, and then cut a small hole in the carpet to pull it through.

Then I mounted the radio to the floor with the supplied mount. I had to drill 2 pilot holes (and fight the insulation padding under the carpet) for the supplied self-tapping screws. Then I pulled the power cord through the carpet, behind the front dash then I drilled a hole through the firewall beind the brake pedal, and sealed it up with mighty puddy for strength, and silicone as an extra percaution, it was a pretty big hole so I could fit the inline fuses through. Then ran the positive to the filter, and Neg. to ground/battery ground.

Then I looked online for a remote mount kit for the radio, but they were all $40 and up so, I improvised. I ordered a Cat3 cable off ebay for $3 and used a mic. clip as the bracket attached to the faceplate. It was just the right thickness to jam into various places, and I had to bend it a little in a vice grip to get it to the correct angle. I drilled 2 holes and put 2 small nuts and bolts through the back pannel of the faceplate to attach the clip.

Then I pulled the Cat 3 cable (6 pin, 3 straight sets of 2) through the center console, took out the dash, it is much easier if you pull everything out, incl radio. and other stuff.

Then I drilled a hole through the air ducting and taped it up so I can keep all the AC I can, especially down here in South Georgia in the summer. Then pulled the end of the cord through the vent. This way if I take my faceplace out, I can just puch the wire back in the vent.

The Finished Product!

As always Pm me with questions!!
Thanks!

Last edited by VSU_4runnin; 04-11-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: adding thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 03:45 PM

make your own quick release hinges

Front D-ring recovery points Writeup

Last edited by VSU_4runnin; 04-12-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:50 AM

Shes Broken!

Pics of the accident

Old 04-21-2010, 09:42 AM

FIXED!!!!!!!! Bumper build click HERE
Old 02-14-2011, 01:36 PM

This is going somewhere good...

Yep.. home owners assoc hates us, 3 letters by the end of this little project

my christmas, 5.29 and dual lock rights

and the best part of all!

Rear out, pretty easy and straight forward

yep, time for new cv's... just kind of fell out

worst bolt head ever!

Well after alot of cussing and yelling and blood I finally said Fu#k it and cut off the factory bolts and got some new ones

well, a month after receiving both and alot of back and forth finally front and rear are in... Back story:
rear went in easy, front sucked for putting in. finally got it installed and the drivers side cv started "popping" out about a little bit 1/8" or so. Couldn't get it figured out so sent it back to Chase at East Coast Gear Supply. They were very helpful throughout the whole process... We figured out that even though richmond gear (aussie, and ALL the other lunchbox style lockers) claims their lockers are the same size as the stock spider gears, they are actually not, in differential standards they are not close at all. see below pictures:

Therefore to solve the problem Chase cut a new snap ring location .170" towards the wheel side of the cv from the old location. Now the cv stays seated PERFECTLY!

Last edited by VSU_4runnin; 03-02-2011 at 07:30 AM.