Arizona Arizona Chapter

Warning! Catalytic Converter Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning! Catalytic Converter Stolen

Hey everyone! I know I haven't been on in a reeeeeeeally long time, but I wanted to pop on here and warn everyone to watch out for thieves going after catalytic converters. I had mine stolen today in the parking lot at my work. The closest I can figure is between 9AM and 2PM. On the plus side my 4Runner now sounds like a beast.
I was referred to Apache Muffler to get it fixed and the guy will charge $180 for a single cat replacement which is what I have (I guess newer models have more than one up to three?) and promises to have it done in 35 minutes. From what I can tell the part alone is nearly that much. He was highly recommended to me so I will let everyone know how it goes tomorrow. Keep a look out for suspicious people in your neighborhood or cars following you. I'm wondering if people are just cruising the streets and following people when they spot a vehicle they know they can get at easily.
I'm thinking of getting a cat protection plate in the shape of my hand giving the finger for the next time this happens.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear that man, I freakin hate theives! Hopefully you get new cats on soon.

My neighbor's Sequoia's cat was stolen not too long ago, both cats were taken. He went and got new cats for it and also welded a thin plate from one side of the frame to the other side of frame covering both the cats. It might not get rid of theiving hands, but it makes it harder for them to steal.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:42 AM

My thought on the plate is thieves are looking for any easy pick and if they see the plate they'll move on. It's unfamiliar to them so they don't want to mess with it.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:33 AM

If this happens to any of you in the future, take your vehicle to Apache Muffler at Main St. and Extension in Mesa. They replaced my single cat for $180 in 40 minutes. They cleaned the cuts up, slide a smaller pipe inside to connect to the new cat and weld it all up. The thieves left me my O2 sensors so it will cost more obviously if the thieves are not so nice if it happens to you.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in the Phoenix area too and its been a big problem out here for a few years now. I'm afraid someone will steal mine cuz its an easy target with my truck being as high as it is. I keep the truck in the garage at all times when I'm not using it, but who knows what could happen when I'm out and about.

I'm thinking about getting something like this:

http://www.cat-lock.com/catlock3.php

$150 piece of mind I guess.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, mine got yoinked off my tacoma last august by some tweakers (puyallup, WA). I've got 32's and a 3" lift, made it easy for 'em to get to and they're worth $120 scrap. I hate thieves, drove home sounding like a monster truck, loud as crap; lucky I didn't get pulled over.

Try welding some cable around it or some under armor to cover it, like said, if they spot some measure like that, they will likely move along to find an easier target.

you could also do a cat delete and get the rear O2 senser simulator from URD! then there's nothing to steal, ha!

glad it's going to be less than $200 for ya, I think I paid $204 for a direct fit (walker) so I could get it on the road as quick as possible. Universals can be had for $45 plus the cost of welding it in place.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:17 PM

Location: living with my loving wife and two lovely children in Manteca CA
Originally Posted by az984Runner
Hey everyone! I know I haven't been on in a reeeeeeeally long time, but I wanted to pop on here and warn everyone to watch out for thieves going after catalytic converters. I had mine stolen today in the parking lot at my work. The closest I can figure is between 9AM and 2PM. On the plus side my 4Runner now sounds like a beast.
I was referred to Apache Muffler to get it fixed and the guy will charge $180 for a single cat replacement which is what I have (I guess newer models have more than one up to three?) and promises to have it done in 35 minutes. From what I can tell the part alone is nearly that much. He was highly recommended to me so I will let everyone know how it goes tomorrow. Keep a look out for suspicious people in your neighborhood or cars following you. I'm wondering if people are just cruising the streets and following people when they spot a vehicle they know they can get at easily.
I'm thinking of getting a cat protection plate in the shape of my hand giving the finger for the next time this happens.

bro so sorry to hear that it happened to most of us ...my area been hit two times already ....right now i ask my friend to install one of his mighty shield under my tundra......so far soooo good!! wish my friend can make more and sell it to protect our trucks!!!