Arizona Arizona Chapter

Run Idea... Red Creek

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Run Idea... Red Creek

After going out to Saguaro today and seeing everyone's rigs and general interests, I think we should try and hit Red Creek some time soon.

Location: Out past Seven Springs, on the same road to Sheeps Bridge, but well before Sheeps Bridge itself.

Difficulty: Nothing worse than Saguaro, maybe a few more rocks that can be handled easily with spotting if need be. Lockers wouldn't be required.

It's a great trail that follows Red Creek all the way down to the Verde. There are lot's of overhanging trees so it's pretty shady the entire way. Rarely used, generally would have the beach to ourselves. Seems like you could even park a rig (or two) out in the river and tie off a tube or raft behind to just float in the mild rapids.

Also, there are some indian ruins and metate boulders:

Not a very good pic of the end, but gives you and idea. Shady, sandy... and water:

Anyway, I'd be happy to lead. Maybe we can put something together a weekend in June. I'd be open for dates.

It's one of my favorite runs and I don't think to many people know about it.

Last edited by Elvota; 05-21-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve,
That sounds great! I loved the area at the sheep bridge, but its too busy and too much trash! This sounds like a great alternative.
Name the weekend. I am open after the utah trip this weekend.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

I am thinking 6/9 or 6/10... 6/16 or 6/17. My schedule is pretty open, so I'll let others with restrictions figure out the best date.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:29 AM

Sounds awesome. I can shift my schedule pretty easily, so just let me know when a date is set.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:22 AM

This sounds good to me! Let me know which weekend you guys decide upon, additionally, my wife Janine works Saturdays. So, if it's decided to be a Saturday run we may have to pass on this one!

John
Old 05-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Let's shoot for Sunday, 6/10.

I'd like to try and meet at the Bartlett Lake turnoff. Would be great if we could get going by 8:30 or 9:00... but whatever the group decides would be fine.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My schedule is wide open - I can wheel any day, any time, whatever works best for everyone else.

As long as you think my mainly stock truck can make it, I'm down for anything you can throw at me.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

I've done this run a few times. One time a completely stock late 70's era Landcruiser made it through.

There is one rock garden that will probably require some spotting for everyone to comfortably make it through. Only about 40' long. The rest is sand, some water and various boulders.

All in all, nothing to bad, but challenging enough to be fun.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll be in for this one. Any camping available here? Maybe a sat/sun thing?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:06 PM

The earlier the better. And I like the camping idea.

Any chance one of you guys with a welder could help me get my sliders on by then? not that I'll necessarily need them, but it'd be nice to have the added insurance. They're Marlin Crawlers so the arms need to be cut to length as well.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

Space is somewhat limited at the end... but I suppose camping would be possible. I think Red Creek makes for a better day trip. I have some ideas for overnighters in the future though.

For example, you can run the DeSoto mine trail backwards from the Phoenix end... camp in the hills around Prescott... and then return on the CK backroad the next day.

That would be a really fun loop.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:05 PM

I might be able to come depending on work schedule during that time (being the new guy and all at work) and if my stock 4runner will make it. If I'm able to make it I'll need directions from Yuma.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvota
For example, you can run the DeSoto mine trail backwards from the Phoenix end... camp in the hills around Prescott... and then return on the CK backroad the next day.

Definitely in for that one.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Wormhole... don't let work get in the way... you can always sleep in your truck.

You'll just have to get to the I-17 at Phoenix from Yuma. The either cut across the 101 East or Carefree Highway. It's pretty easy to find. I'll give you the rest of the details if you decide to come along.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:44 PM

If it's a day run - especially Sunday I think that would be cool. I haven't been down Seven Springs in an Age. Hell, I remember when it used to rain cats and dogs - we would run Seven Springs because the road would turn to Malt-o-Meal!

One of these days I would like to invite everyone over to our place for some food & drink!

John
Old 05-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

Space is somewhat limited at the end... but I suppose camping would be possible. I think Red Creek makes for a better day trip. I have some ideas for overnighters in the future though.

That sounds like a great day. I know of a couple of trucks that want to do a CK run next month too.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Zona4r
The earlier the better. And I like the camping idea.

Any chance one of you guys with a welder could help me get my sliders on by then? not that I'll necessarily need them, but it'd be nice to have the added insurance. They're Marlin Crawlers so the arms need to be cut to length as well.
Maybe I'll get the cahones to order mine this week and then in a weekend or two we can run down to Tucson and weld both of ours on...
Got a pic of what yours look like. or a link?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:31 AM

Wormhole... don't let work get in the way... you can always sleep in your truck.

You'll just have to get to the I-17 at Phoenix from Yuma. The either cut across the 101 East or Carefree Highway. It's pretty easy to find. I'll give you the rest of the details if you decide to come along.

Ya, I see how things go I start the 4th of June (unemployed for a month ).

Last edited by wormhole; 05-23-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:09 AM

I am there and looking forward to seeing everyone again!

If it's ok with everyone, I may offer to have a couple 4 Wheelers from my office come along as it won't be a techicnical trail! They are a very responsible bunch and not crazy and disrespectful. However, I don't want to bring people who will hold up the whole group.

John

Last edited by LUV24BY; 05-23-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

I should clarify a few things about this run.

Plan is to be one day, Sunday, so no camping this time.

Would not be a fun run to bring a MTB. There is very low clearance from trees so no bike on the roof, and enough washes that would remove a bike off the back.

Even if one did bring a bike, there is no where to ride it... all sand. I am a cyclist myself so I know what's fun to ride, and what's not. Even a freeride bike would be boring. Just nothing to work with. However, if you plan to be in Phoenix for Saturday as well, I'd be happy to suggest places to ride that day, if the heat is not an issue for you.

As far as technical... this trail would not be considered simple. I wouldn't take a full size truck down it. There are a few narrow sections that would be challenging. Not impossible, just much more difficult. I wouldn't take a vehicle with running boards down it. Unless the driver was considering removing these running boards and didn't wish to use a wrench to do it. I wouldn't take someone down it for their first offroad adventure.

There are a few parts that will require careful wheel placement and probably spotting for the lower vehicles to avoid getting hung up. Stock height and wheel size will get you through, but not without thinking and choosing a good line. I would consider it a challenge for a stock 4x4, but not excessive requiring body damage or grinding your undercarriage through the rocks.

Not trying to scare anyone off. I know for sure all the rigs at Saguaro can make it. Others are more than welcome to come, they just need to be prepared. On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd rank the Saguaro route (minus the steep hill at the cove) a 2, and Red Creek a 5 due to the few rock sections.

Looking forward to this run. It's going to be a fun day.

Quick Reply: Run Idea... Red Creek