Arizona Arizona Chapter

Night Run, Wednesday 4/23

Old 04-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Night Run, Wednesday 4/23

All right...

Tim and I are going to do one of the following. Depending on interest expressed, we're flexible. So speak up if any of you have a preference as where to go.

If you can't make this run... I am sure there will be some others coming up as well.

Sunflower Mine:
Tim has never done the entire loop. He's only gone to the first building and then back out. I know we all have done this one a bunch, but I for one have never given it a shot at night. I have heard the creek bed has suffered from some erosion as well as the climb out.

Trail 404: Some have done this one... some have not. The overall difficulty is not to bad, but "The Squeeze" is a very unique obstacle... you won't find much tighter or longer here in AZ.

Rocker Panel Pass: Up Sycamore, basically starts across from 4Peaks road. Depending on time, a loop can be made back to what I call "Graveyard Tank". For those of you that have explored the area lately with me, that tank has been full of mud and required some creativity to get aroubd . There are a lot of options out there though and depending on time Rocker Panel and a few Sycamore crossings after may be enough.

What say ye who are free?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aye captain.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, not this time. I'm working and I'm sure you guys don't want to wait til 8:30 to start.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I really want to get this CEL ironed out before I drive the 4Runner too much more. I'm *this* close... pretty sure I got a bad 02 sensor when I ordered new. Sucks, because I've been dropping cash on other parts after that. This would be the only thing that holds me back - and I'm pretty doubtful I'll have a new part by wednesday.

If I do get it taken care of, I'm up for whatever.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 111db
I really want to get this CEL ironed out before I drive the 4Runner too much more. I'm *this* close... pretty sure I got a bad 02 sensor when I ordered new. Sucks, because I've been dropping cash on other parts after that. This would be the only thing that holds me back - and I'm pretty doubtful I'll have a new part by wednesday.

If I do get it taken care of, I'm up for whatever.
Oh come on. If the light didn't mind 4 feet of river water it will be fine.
Plus, I just did some research and learned that for sure I'm at 126,000 miles on the original timing belt..... Crap. Parts are in the mail to replace.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Unfortunately, not this time. I'm working and I'm sure you guys don't want to wait til 8:30 to start.
Understood... I am sure there will be other opportunities.

I really want to get this CEL ironed out before I drive the 4Runner too much more.
What's the code you are getting again? I get an O2 sensor code CEL every once in a while. I bought a new sensor as well when I did my swap. I messed with it for a while but have put that concern on the back burner for now.

So we'll have two CEL's and one timing belt evidently running on threads. Sounds like a well planned expedition into the night.

You should come out. We'll run 404 if you want to. It's always fun to take a new guy through "The Squeeze" in the dark.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:04 AM

I might be able to make it. Don't really care where we go.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AZ4ME
I might be able to make it. Don't really care where we go.
Aaaaah... but is the decision as to go dependent on the motivation provided by the location chosen.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota
Aaaaah... but is the decision as to go dependent on the motivation provided by the location chosen.
No too much, unless you plan on going to FJ or somewhere else on the SE side of town. I think I can make it, just have to check on a few things. I'd be more interested in 404, Log Corral, or Sycamore Creek would be fine also. Better be getting some rock lights installed.

Last edited by AZ4ME; 04-18-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 PM

So is this run a go? If so to where and what time?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah... it's Tuesday already.

Man, this shift messes me up. It's my "Saturday" today.

I am kind of leaning towards Sunflower, just because I haven't been out there for a while and Tim has never done the entire loop. But it's a further distance than 404.

I am flexible on time.

Those who wish to go, post up earliest time available and preference. We'll set up a run by tonight and I'll post it here.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:10 PM

I can't make it. I have birthday/dinner plans tomorrow.

Have fun out there! All those washes and creeks have washed out quite a bit so it will make for an interesting and fun night run!

Also, I was just up on the rim over the weekend and they do have the 87 down to 2 lanes near the Sunflower area. I cannot remember for sure but I think to access the turnoff at Sunflower you might have to go past it and turn around.

Again, I might be wrong but that earth slide was in that general vicinity.

Regardless you guys will be able to access the trail I am sure but just a heads up!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Did Tim get his junk fixed? I got a voicemail about some leaky diff seals over the weekend. Of course, by now its probably a 10 minute job for him, blindfolded.

I've gotta pass for tomorrow, still haven't pounded out my fuel skid plate. The tank is kinda vulnerable right now. Plus pesky CEL is still rearing ugly head. Calgon, take me away!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:33 AM

I am not sure if he got that fixed or not.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Talking

Did Tim get his junk fixed? I got a voicemail about some leaky diff seals over the weekend. Of course, by now its probably a 10 minute job for him, blindfolded.

I've gotta pass for tomorrow, still haven't pounded out my fuel skid plate. The tank is kinda vulnerable right now. Plus pesky CEL is still rearing ugly head. Calgon, take me away!
Originally Posted by westy44runner
I am not sure if he got that fixed or not.
As I was driving down the freeway on the way to the clean-up I smelled gear oil. Oops. I pulled over and it was everywhere. I couldn't tell where it was coming from though.
When I got to the clean up I looked around a little more and tried to figure it out.
At lunch we had to hit the freeway again for a sec so I figure I'd check as soon as that drive was done. I looked and it "appears" that all of that oil had come out of the overflow/breather. I drained the oil out of both diffs last night and the front had plenty in it so I guess it was just some coming out of the breather....
Its now got Mobil 1 in it so hopefully that will keep it from puking when it gets hot on the highway....

I want to use my offroad lights!!! I do I do!!
Just trynig to decide if my body is up for it. I can almost fall asleep at my computer. Trying to figure out whats going on... besides hating my job..
Old 04-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

I am up for a run tonight if anyone else is... but I can pass as well.

If we need to keep things short, 404 would work for me. That's pretty easy, close to town and a short run.

Also, if tonight isn't going to work I'll post up another Wednesday to see if more are free or feeling better (or both )
Old 04-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

I think I may wuss out on the longer run. I feel like I'm stoned, but I'm not. What time would you want to head out for a 404 run?

Originally Posted by Elvota
I am up for a run tonight if anyone else is... but I can pass as well.

If we need to keep things short, 404 would work for me. That's pretty easy, close to town and a short run.

Also, if tonight isn't going to work I'll post up another Wednesday to see if more are free or feeling better (or both )
Old 04-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SOAZtim
I think I may wuss out on the longer run. I feel like I'm stoned, but I'm not. What time would you want to head out for a 404 run?
It's really up to you guys... I am off today and tomorrow after all.

Tim, if you are not up to it don't have to kill yourself. I think AZ4ME was the only other person that might be able to go... and speaking for him, I am sure he'd understand.

Let me know either way. If not tonight, we'll set something else up soon.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:02 PM

Ya, let shoot for next Wednesday or something. I got some crap I really need to finish up tonight.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AZ4ME
Ya, let shoot for next Wednesday or something. I got some crap I really need to finish up tonight.
No problem. I know mid-week runs are hard.

I may end up running Sunflower tomorrow. I am curious now what it's like. The dog enjoys daylight running a little better anyhow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Night Run, Wednesday 4/23