Arizona Arizona Chapter

Night Run Idea: 404 Canyon

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Night Run Idea: 404 Canyon

Start at the Southern end of Camp Creek where Rio Verde road curves South. Drive up the creek (very easy) and then take a right up 404. Extremely tight canyon. Technically it is of very little challenge, but I guarantee it is the tightest route you will ever take a 4Runner down.

Here is an idea:

My thought is to run up the canyon, turn around after the tight part and run back downstream to Camp Creek. If we ran all of 404 instead it gets a little long... but could be an option.

There is a good hillclimb out of Camp Creek after we do 404.

Lockers and armor not required. However, you'd have to be prepared to have some shrubs against your paint and it would be possible to rub your bumper corners while negotiating the tight spot. I of course will be happy to spot and get people through clean... at least the best I can.

I think maybe 2 to 3 hours. Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday (6/5, 6/6) night of next week. Start around 7:00, finish near 10:00.

Any takers?

Last edited by Elvota; 06-02-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

I had another thought...

The tight spot is maybe 15 minutes up and back. If three or less rigs go besides myself, we could all pile in Elvota... then hit the tight section so everyone can see what's involved.

Then, if others would like to try, we can run it again.

I know we all take our trucks out so we can drive them... so this was just an idea. There are other obstacles and trails in the area if the tight section doesn't look like fun after the "preview".

Last edited by Elvota; 06-01-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll run it.

Maybe I'll get lucky and rub off all that damn chrome.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

Chrome is overrated anyway.

It's really not that bad... just have to pay attention. I think it's an amazing bit of trail. At night it's even more impressive.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be down for the "Trial run"

But, I bet my truck is more narrow than you're anyway.

Not to mention, that my truck has been de-choromed alreayd (or de- blinged)

When are we thinking about doing this run???
Old 06-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

I'd agree... my truck is probably one of the wider ones... at least who went to Saguaro. I know a full size won't make it, just to wide at the axles.

It's a fun section, not to hard to drive... just don't want to get anyone into something they are not comfortable with. Once started, you can not turn around. Backing up in the daytime would be next to impossible. Add the dark, then I really think no way but forward.

I am thinking a night after work next week, but would be open to suggestions.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like fun to me I'm in. I'll try it and park it if my chro.. oh wait I mean plastic gets rubbed.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Okay... looks like we have three and me.

How does this Wednesday (6/6) evening look for all of you? Could meet say 7-7:30 where the Rio Verde bends to the South.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:51 PM

I may be able to do it on the 6th. I've got HazMat training all next week and then have to go into the office to do my real job, but don't let me stop ya'll if ya wanna go. I'm sure we'll run it again sometime.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Well... I hope you can come along. Would another day work better for you? Speaking for myself, I am pretty flexible.

If we moved the run forward a day or back a day to make room for your obligations i would be fine with that.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:07 PM

I am out for this one, mid-week runs are tough. That specific day I have to get my daughter from the ex-wife.

Have fun though and get some pictures if you can (I know it will be dark out!)

John
Old 06-03-2007, 03:55 PM

It really all depends on how much damage control I need to do in the office. The end of the week is definitely out (Red Sox are in town on the 7th, 8th, and 9th). I'll see what I can do for Wednesday. It could go either way. Have fun!
Old 06-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Hopefully you can make it Zona4r. Midweek is kind of hard to make, just was thinking it's a pretty short run and we all might be able to squeeze it in.

So, SOAZtim and lofreqjeff... Wednesday at 7-7:30 still work for you guys?

Any other takers?
Old 06-03-2007, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its hard for me to commit to anything during the week in the first few business days of any month because I'm an accountant and need to get our financial statments ready by the 14th. So whatever day is best for everyone else, I will still be in the same situation - the is no day for me that is better or worse than any other, so just let me know which day and I will do all I can to be there - I really want to do a nite run!

With that said - The month end is unique because I get almost 2 whole weeks to get things done, and I actually went to the office today for about 6 hours hopeing to get caught up on some things with idea that I can leave the office around 5 - 530 on Wednesday.

As of right now, I am about 99% sure I will be there. I think my biggest concern is the commute from my office to the trail - I will be heading out from the 10 and Warner. If all goes well at the office tomorrow and Tuesday, I might actually be able to leave between 4 and 430.

Elvota, would you have room for 1 the entire way if I wuss out? I may or may not bring a friend, that is still up in the air - and may be baised on your response.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah... sure thing. I want the run to be fun. Sometimes I make things out harder than they are, but after the pre-ride you'd be prepared for next time.

My rig will be empty besides myself. It seats 3 of course, but if whoever sits behind me better have short legs... because I have long legs and the driver seat is all the way back.

We can push it to 7:30-8:00 if that helps with traffic an SOAZtim is okay with that. I have a couple different loops in mind. So, depending on time and everyone's interest we can make the entire trip very short or pretty long.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:46 AM

I've run this trail with Elvota (hence the photo above). In terms of difficultly, its mild. Its a real cool place, and makes for a good quick run. The tight canyon section is truly awesome, as are some of the overlooks.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Okay... final update.

Meeting time will be 8:00 PM tonight where Dynamite curves S at the Rio Verde. Make a left (N) at this intersection and look for me on the right. Probably takes 20 minutes to get there from the Pima/ 101 exit.

I am thinking 1-1/2 hour run... could be made longer if those that show up want to.

Hopefully you guys can make it out. It's a great trail.

We'll plan some more weekend night runs to mesh with other schedules in the future.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:45 PM

Have fun & be safe! Keep the carnage gremlins @ bay too!

John
Old 06-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for showing us around el vota.
The trail was exciting! Thanks for the spotting, it made me feel a lot better!
No scratches and the undercarriage never hit noticeably.
Great time. I think I may fall asleep at work now!
Old 06-07-2007, 08:23 AM

Great driving on your part. We were both worried in a couple spots but before we could even make it back to spot you were through.

You will definitely need to join us when we try and connect the trail to Log Corral. It will probably be worth it to wait till you have sliders for that trail though.

Quick Reply: Night Run Idea: 404 Canyon