Arizona Arizona Chapter

Arizona Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arizona Emissions

Hello, fellow Yota Techers!

I Recently picked up a 93 Toyota pickup that was unfortunately converted from EFI to a single carburetor. The last owner said it was converted because there was a 282 LCE cam installed and the EFI system could not handle the cams overlap.

So the ECU has essentially been completely removed from the vehicle I installed a vacuum advanced distributor with a magnetic pickup so the Gm igniter can drive it instead of the Ecu controlling the ignition system so at this point the engine is running full mechanically.

So here is where my Questions about emissions come in.

Q1: Will my vehicle be failed because its carbureted when it's supposed to be EFI. (before they probe and test it)
Q2: Will the EGR still operate properly with the reduced vacuum from the aggressive cam (How much vacuum minimum is required to properly operate)
Q3: The carb only has one fuel line to it and the return line is open to the atmosphere. How or what is the effects this can have on my tests? If any, what would be the best way to fix this?
Q4: I have a catalytic converter and have yet to check the temperatures at the inlet and outlet of the cat. Does anyone know what the operating temperatures should be?
Q5: Does anyone know where I can get a piggyback for my ECU to Program my own fuel parameters for the EFI system? (something somewhat affordable)

Thank you in advance to everyone who replies!!!

Old 06-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
"Arizona emissions' means different things in different areas.

Pima and Maricopa counties have substantial requirements. Your truck, devolved into an engine of earlier type, may not pass, no matter what.

No emissions examination or testing at all in the county where I live.
The following users liked this post:
Lucis Stolen Abril (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in the city of Goodyear and have a testing center down the street from my house.