North Carolina North Carolina Chapter

NC Meets this summer

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i will come and jon if he gets a new starter

and whats this i hear about gear install i need my gears installed and if someone can do it i will wait????????????????????

also is that plasma cutter avaible i need to make some 1/4" strearing box braces.

i got some good prices on metal or i can check $$ for somebody if anyone needs some metal or austin does your uncle have a hookup so peeps can make some sliders if they need to
Old 05-12-2004, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

The gear install is my idea. Jeremey and I were talking and he installed his last set of gears, they came loose while driving but he's sure he knows what went wrong so it won't happen again, These gears will be for my front diff so it's not like I will use them all the time and use them at 50+mph. If we get lost, Jeremey says the professional guy that installs gears is only 5 mins. away. Just bring them along it might be worth a shot. I might not be bringing the Runner, if I bring my 3rd for gears, I'll just leave my axel out so I candrop the 3rd in all at once.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

setting up gears requires getting the pinion aligned with the center of the ring gear, getting the pinion depth in the center of the ring gear, and adjusting the backlash. It just takes some time and gear marking compound. drop in lockers are easier b/c all you have to reset is the backlash, full carrier replacements like detroit or ARB might need some pinion readjustment, im not sure.

some reading material on the subject. I'll help anyone that wants it with some gears but as a disclaimer. . . i never said i was a professional or highly experienced so if something goes wrong im not going to take full responsibility, so decide for yourself. If i regear i plan on doing it myself just to further gain experience, if they break yea it sucks, but gears arent THAT expensive to replace.

gear setup
Old 05-12-2004, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by turboale
Ok, so we have one person for sure, and another pending...

since its likely going to be mostly taking place at my house ill likely be there

just thinking ahead, that weekend is the coca cola 600 ( i think ) which i might be attending sunday (never been to a nascar event ). not sure about any of that, just heard about it the other day
Old 05-12-2004, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

I'll call about puchasing metal. I'm going to be in the market soon because I'm going to be taking a welding class this summer anyway. If you need the plazma cutter you will probably have to get there friday. If jermey isn't ready for people to stay you can stay at my god-father's place but he isn't going to be there over the weekend, and he will probably want to be there to either let us use it, or atleast teach us (he is usually very generous, but I don't want to push it). If they aren't very hard to cut then I'm sure we could do it friday. He is usually working in the shop during weekdays so I'll have to wait til tonight to give him a call. Hell, he might have some scrap lay'n around that we could use.

Yes, I figured you would be attending, but you hadn't posted up in a while so I wasn't sure. And seriously... your going to leave the wrench-a-thon for a race that requires only one turn? Can't we watch it on tv or something?

Last edited by turboale; 05-12-2004 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stump1883
The gear install is my idea. Jeremey and I were talking and he installed his last set of gears, they came loose while driving but he's sure he knows what went wrong so it won't happen again
you got me thinking about that diff so im going to take it apart and see if the lock-right survived. anyway heres a pic, you can see the right side carrier cap COMPLETELY came loose, followed by the ring gear and pinion eating each other alive. The bolts on the cap were so loose i could take them out with just my fingers immediatly after removing the 3rd from the truck. With a vise this will NEVER happen again. It ran for 3 months no problem, then having the bolts not torqued enough kicked in.

Old 05-12-2004, 02:48 PM

he will probably want to be there to either let us use it, or atleast teach us (he is usually very generous, but I don't want to push it). If they aren't very hard to cut then I'm sure we could do it friday.
If the only reason he wouldnt let us use it when not there is cause we dont know how dont worry about it. They are really easy to use. Tell him you have an experienced professional that will be there. All you do is flip some switches, hold it close to the metal, pull the trigger, wait 5s then phhssstttttttt youre cuttin like Luke Skywalker. On the other hand, if he wants to be there so we dont screw up his $1k baby, thats perfectly understandable.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:18 AM

Let me know about the metal thing... I can bring my own or buy some from him. The only thing I'm needing are sliders. I can bring my Lincoln Welder down also...
Old 05-13-2004, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

well, its not just a plazma cutter. He has it hooked up to a computer which automaticly cuts the metal for you. Though, it is a normal hand held one attached to the computer controlled motors. Now, he says there is no cheap metal unless you buy in bigger quanities. So, anyone that whants sliders speak now or forever hold your pee. He said he orders his metal from a place called dylan and they can ship it right to his door. He said that big 1/4" plate was about $150 (roughly) and that he would split it with us. I forgot to ask about tubing but he said that if we want deals we have to go to a scrap yard and sound official on the phone so they will let us look around and pick out stuff we want our self. There is one in raleigh called hollemet. Maybe we could all go out there and pick stuff up. But, if you want instructions on how to use the plazma cutter and a tour of my god-father's shop come down on friday!

phur, depending on if we have enough people to get together to buy metal, I would suggest bringing your own. I guess we will have to just play it by ear. As for your welder, sure! Bring it down!

Last edited by turboale; 05-13-2004 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:52 PM

Im 80% sure. Only thing holding me back is a check engine light that i need to get checked out and a possible bad wheel bearing. If i can handle these before the dates then ill be there.

BTW Nascar is about 500X better in person.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ssbogger
BTW Nascar is about 500X better in person.
Yeah it is, Woot for NASCAR in person, but I'll never watch it on TV, one long left hand turn is not my idea of TV entertainment. I don't have my work times posted for that week at work, I'm sure I can make it there Sunday, Jermey hope your there then so we can do gears if not and I have to work I may not be there at all. :cry:

Last edited by Stump1883; 05-13-2004 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Oh I believe that its much better in person... I'd just rather be under my truck

Sam, get the check engine looked at at auto zone, I think they will scan your truck for free.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:15 AM

Sam, get the check engine looked at at auto zone, I think they will scan your truck for free.
They will and i went there. The computer wouldnt link up. They tried two of them. Ive been to the same store before and had my codes pulled and it linked. Im wondering if it has something to do with my connector. I wouldnt think it would since its a female.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

isn't that the truth....
Old 05-17-2004, 05:13 PM

Only thing holding me back is a check engine light that i need to get checked out
Pull the EFI fuse in the box behind the battery. It's location is the 3rd 15 amp fuse on the right side, I think . There is a diagram on the bottom on the lid. If you leave it out for 15min and put it back in the check engine light will go off.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:34 PM

They will and i went there. The computer wouldnt link up. They tried two of them. Ive been to the same store before and had my codes pulled and it linked. Im wondering if it has something to do with my connector. I wouldnt think it would since its a female.
The place the code reader hooks into is under the dash on the drivers side. The connecter you probible used was behind the battery. I think that it is used by Toyota to make different connection to read different code combinations

I got a computer code reader and was trying to read my codes
My check engine light and ABS light was on and I was trying to read the ABS codes. To read the codes I had to make a jumper in the connecter behind the battery. I made the jumper from a paper clip and connected it to pin 7 and to 13 (not sure exectly of hand ) Then I used the reader to figure out which ABS sensors were bad.

Last edited by Hyperlite; 05-17-2004 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hyperlite
The place the code reader hooks into is under the dash on the drivers side. The connecter you probible used was behind the battery. I think that it is used by Toyota to make different connection to read different code combinations
They hooked it to the one under the dash. I think i might pull the fuse and see if it goes away. I have done it before with previous CEL's but it always came back on. Maybe this one will be different.
Now all i have left to do is take out that swaybar and its puny endlinks.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:48 PM

An FYI, I have a few short pieces, (2 or 3 foot long) of 1/4 inch thick, 4x4 angle iron. I thought I saw someone needed some metal like that. I will bring them and a few other odds and ends type pieces on saturday. Let me know what else that may be needed as far a metal goes. I can probly find a lot of it lying around the shop.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

OOh OOh, I want them!!!
Old 05-19-2004, 05:36 AM

What's this? People are coming to wrench at our house? We're not even moved in yet... geez...

Did you guys ever decide on a time or date? Jeremy and I will have A LOT going on...

J

Quick Reply: NC Meets this summer