North Carolina North Carolina Chapter

First Official Run Aug August 11th-12th

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 12:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of us that aren't familiar with the area, is there anything we could enter to mapquest to get directions?
Old 07-29-2003, 06:18 AM

Hey why do you guys choose to go on monday and tuesday, don't you have to work? My brother (CustomCruiser) and our two dogs might go if we can get off work, which area are you staying in. My co worker has a bunch of VW dune buggys will go anywhere in Uwahree and he goes every weekend, last weekend he said he saw a slew of 3rd gen 4Runners and Tundras (i question his knowlege of 3rd vs 2nd gens) I will talk to him today and ask him what trails he recomends and which area to stay in.

I have a winch and lots of tow straps 100ft of 3/16 cable and a 50 ft of chain, me personally don't plan on getting stuck I am a firm believe that tie down loops are suffecient tow points, even the ones on the tjm, they will bend if you yank from the side
Old 07-29-2003, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

We chose those days b/c those are my off days and I can't really get weekends off b/c i work at a bed and breakfast. Everyone didn't seem to mind as long as they had ample time to get time off, so we went with it. I hope you can make it! You have a sweet rig, and the more knolegelable people there the better! Bring as many ppl as you can!! I guess buggies don't count, but other than that lets stick to yotas for the most part. Don't you guys think? Since this is our first NC4Roc meeting and all... If your buddy sees the yotas again, lets get them on here and maybe we can do a run together. Could be fun!
Old 07-29-2003, 12:12 PM

I don't think they would run with us anyways, just wanted their knowledge of the area cause they live near it. The only other truck I am trying to get to go is my brothers (71ish Cruiser w/ cracked frame or his 94 Runner with bald shoes) But I think he will ride with me. Mon and Tues should be fine, hell it cuts the work week down to 3 days. The reason I mention VW out there is to encourage more stock yotas to roll with us. I personally vote only Yotas, but that's just me.
How do I join NC4Roc?
ToyotaOthers
Old 07-29-2003, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

For those of us that aren't familiar with the area, is there anything we could enter to mapquest to get directions
just put in Troy, NC and that will put you on the main street (hwy 24)

How do I join NC4Roc?
right now its just an informal club, talk to prolax if you want to get on the webpage

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 07-29-2003 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Hyperlite welcome to 4ROC NC man, glad to have another NC rig on the list. I really really want to see your rig, I was leaning towards getting a TJM like yours to save on the cost. Glad to have you along.

I really want to stick to Yota's ONLY. I have one friend that might like to come he has a 76 FJ40 lifted 4" on 33s and he might have his locker in by now. But we shall see.

Recovery gear, mine is limited to a 25ft strap w/ hooks.

If anyone has a write up or good knoledge of how to fix a inboard CV boot let me know, if I fix it before the trip I might think of hitting the trails with the stock tires, I would be trusting the locker to pull me through in spite of the tires. So if anyone knows send me a link or just give me a detailed description. I'm fixing my clutch bushing and extending my rear diff breather tomarrow. Still unsure of weather I will be bringing the new rig down or not but I'm just fixing everything just in case.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Just sent my info in yesterday, would love to join all of you but I just took 2 1/2 weeks off from work, going back tomorrow, and I doubt that I could take more time off so soon. Maybe next time and are there any trails closer to the eastern part of NC? Hope you all have alot of fun out there.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Hell yeah! This thing is getting big. Glad to see we have another member and that we will have a winch on the trip! If you want to get a jump on becoming a "member" shot prolax a pm/email with your info. Check the member's section for exactly what to send. You can also attach a pic and David will make it the correct size and put it up on your site when he gets back. Not sure if it will get done tonight, I talked to him eariler and he had work, then um... yeah... sounded busy... But either way welcome aboard and if you want me to make you a custom sig let me know. You will find I change mine all the time... I have 8 pretty good ones... i just get bored And lets keep NCSU updated on how many trucks/people theres gonna be. I assume the plan still is that we will just divy up the food...?

Info thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=13771

edit: url

Last edited by turboale; 07-29-2003 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome aboard paul! Sorry your not going to be able to make it, but a warm welcome either way and if I had the choice between two weeks in Maine or a couple days in a national park i'd go with maine too!

Last edited by turboale; 07-29-2003 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

ok, updated list

Jeremy (NCSU-4runner) Driving

Andrew (minidisc8) Driving ?

Austin (TurboAle) Driving

David (Prolax) Riding

Scott (Stump1883) Driving?

Dave(Evilcow) Driving

(Hyperlite) Driving

still waiting on andrew to confirm he's gonna go. went to turn on my roof lights the other day and one of the four doesnt turn on, boy that makes me mad . gotta root out the cause

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 07-29-2003 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:37 PM

I think we should meet at the Eldarodo Outpost on hwy 109. It is a big gas station that carries food and it has trail maps of the area and is located just north of Troy (8 miles? from hwy 49)between 2 main entrances to the forest. It has food beer and everything we need. It is just a suggestion from a local I talked to. He said this is the place that the majority of people stop for supplies before entering the woods. My brother (custom cruiser) is coming also don't know if he will take his runner or ride with me depends if he gets new shoes or not. He also suggested a FYI it cost $5/day
Also what time do you guys want to meet?
There are camping areas and campgrounds but i perfer next to water:beach:
I will find a map and post a link
Old 07-30-2003, 12:55 PM

here is a map of the trails, was told about 24 miles of trails

download and print off

Get you Uwharrie trail map here!!

if that doesnt work go here

http://triadtrailblazers.tripod.com/...arrie_map2.gif

and i hope these guys dont mind us using their map, but they are free at the Eldorado Outpost just not in these cool colors (atleast thats what the guy in the VW said)

also trying to get my new tires so i dont have to ride with that fool Hyperlite if not i will bring my dads new GX470 -- YEA RIGHT
Old 07-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

neither of those links worked for me

try this one http://cnc.4x4.org/trails/uwharrie_map2.gif

as far as a place to meet it doesnt matter to me, i was just thinking in town at a blatently obvious place so we could be 100% sure everyone would find it ok.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:15 PM

dont know why they dont work -- it works for me

but that is the exact same map.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:11 PM

I'd like to meet at eldorado outpost also. I'd also like to suggest we camp at Badin Lakes campground it has plenty of sites on the lake.
Dave
Old 07-31-2003, 08:19 AM

NCSU-4Runner

you can add me (Matt - customcruiser and Jon - Hyperlite) to the driving list

planning on getting new tires -- too bad the rims from my cruiser with LTB's dont fit:pat: , but am driving anyway.
i have 1 good tire (the spare) and no spare. the last big ice storm i wrecked my runner into a guardrail at 75mph headon on my way back to wilmington when i lived there.

still have bent frame and out of alignment but i dont care
Old 07-31-2003, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

So what time are we gonna meet is 10 to earily? or would 11 be a little better. I think i'm the furthest away... Sounds like we are meeting at eld outpost... Sounds like a good meeting place.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

nevermind, lets make it 11. just found out it takes me almost 4hrs to get there... and whats the best way to get to this gas station from either liberty st. or from NC27/ Independence blvd.?

Last edited by turboale; 07-31-2003 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet this thing is coming together, I'm all gitty inside . This is gona be great.

Jeremy, you can go ahead and take me off the list as a driver just to make it simple. It's better to count on one less truck than be dissappointed if one can't fulfuill the promiss. There is no way I can get this axel and CV replaced by that time, I have 0 days off until the trip, I'm not even sure if theyhave given me those days off, but one way or another I'm going,Home epot can just do without me for a few days. I'm almost 100% sure I will drive down there just not hit the trails. I have a court date for the 13 @ 8:30 a.m. so I will have to head back late on the 12th, or really really early on the 13th. So I will need my own wheels.

So you will have two for sure spotters and camera men, with this many trucks going that should be a good thing. Bt glad to har everything is going though well, I'm glad we finally have some organization to all this, BIG thanks to Turbo for that, I popped this idea to Prolax a long time back but neither of us had the time or skills to do that.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

ok my plans have changed slightly, im still going to Uwharrie, but i wont be there till the 12th early in the morning. my mom called me and suddenly they got invited to go to the bahamas for a week and stay on some small, practically deserted island resort with some friends of thiers and i can go if i want to. im sure you guys understand, a week at a resort in the bahamas and 1 day instead of 2 in uwharrie. . . its not even logical to turn that sort of trip down. so yea ill drive back from miami to SC on the 11th, then head out early (6am ish) from our house in SC to uwharrie so hopefully i can hook up with you guys right about the time you leave for the trails again. . .around 10am if you guys dont mind waiting, or if you want to go out early just keep some cell phones on so i can find you.

Quick Reply: First Official Run Aug August 11th-12th