Notices
Customer Feedback For Vendors Use this forum for feedback good or bad on vendor's & dealer's you have dealt with

Toy Doctor in Tualatin Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Toy Doctor in Tualatin Oregon

I have a 1994 4runner with the 22re, bought it dead from the infamous timing chain guide breaking and someone running it until the timing cover gave out. Picked it up for $1,200 dead. So had to get the engine rebuilt, it had 258K on it when it died. Took it to a shop a friend had used, and $2,500 later, rebuilt engine, but now just over a year later, problems, problems.
Valve train is now ticking loudly, found it's one of the rocker arms is worn on the "rebuilt" head. But my favorite is the rear main seal that is leaking. So filed the BBB complaint against them, will have to sue for recovery of money I guess, never sued anyone in my 41 years and hate to start doing it now. I will eventually need another engine since I can't trust what has been done to this one.
About a month after the rebuild was done, one of the accessory belts started chirping. Took it back to them, they charged me for a replacement belt and labor. I asked about the "warranty" for 12 months, 12,000 miles and the manager of the shop said, "Belts aren't covered". They replaced all 3 belts just a month before. Didn't even acknowledge that there was a loud ticking coming from the the valves, and there already was at this time. This is the reason I never went back to this shop.
Don't want to slander the shop, but I feel the need to keep others from being put into this position. Shop's name is Toy Doctor in Tualatin Oregon.
They have a "F" rating with the BBB and tend to just ignore the so-called warranty on their work. DON'T EVER USE THEM!!!
Okay, my big issue is that I need some guidance on where to get a good rebuilt engine from, and what it takes to transfer a crate motor or a rebuilt motor into my 4runner. Any help or suggestions would be cool.
Thanks for reading my rant.....really, really, angry about this. Time and money spent, all wasted.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Contributing Member

Since your right there Oregon engine builders in Sandy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/22R-2...d=p3911.c0.m14

I almost bought this and the sell's guy said if I had any problems(small not major) they would cover it at any shop I took it too here in Maryland as for major I would have to ship it back to them but I built my own instead but there are a couple guys on here that have their motors and say they are real happy with it and the service they have received from these guy's.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jasper has a good reputation.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:35 AM

Emailed John yesterday

I emailed John at Oregon Engine Rebuilders last night to get details on weight of the engine so I can pick it up, and what needs to be taken off mine and put on the long block.
Now only if I could figure out how to swap a motor. I'm pretty good at turning the wrench, but never tackled something that large. I'll have to ask them good shops for doing the swap or if they do any swaps there.
Thanks you guys for positive feedback on them, that super stock is a nice setup.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just put in a OERI motor and had a bit of a issue at first with it. john is a great guy to work with and took care of the issue no questions asked. im not to into the engnbldr gasket kit (very thin poorly cut gaskets, and cheap-o seals in my oppinion) he supplies and ended up buying alot of the factory toyota stuff like timing chain cover gasket, front and rear main seals, water pump gasket ect. pretty much the stuff that i didnt want to have to worry about and that would be a PITA to replace.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:19 AM

gaskets and seals

I am going to setup the engine in the garage on my engine stand before I take it to a shop to have it swapped. The gasket info is great, I will start buying them from Toyota now. John told me everything that needs to be moved over, and your email has me listing the gaskets and seals off that I want to have for the rebuilt engine.
This time, I don't need the rear main seal going out after 5K, or the rocker arm ticking like a hammer. As always, I appreciate the feedback info from everyone.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SurlyJohn
I emailed John at Oregon Engine Rebuilders last night to get details on weight of the engine so I can pick it up, and what needs to be taken off mine and put on the long block.
Now only if I could figure out how to swap a motor. I'm pretty good at turning the wrench, but never tackled something that large. I'll have to ask them good shops for doing the swap or if they do any swaps there.
Thanks you guys for positive feedback on them, that super stock is a nice setup.
Swapping a motor is not hard at all I just did mine and all the info I had to do the job was pulled or gained how ever you want to look at from here, I had never done it before and did it all myself only had a friend come help me one time when I could not get the motor to sit down on the motor mounts a little grease on the mount fixed that.

Save yourself a bunch of money and teach yourself a few things all in one project and if you need some help feel free to ask I will share everything I have learned with you,so far I have 330 miles on mine since doing it.

The biggest issue is the wiring harness and if you label everything and pull the trans plugs and AFM plug it is really really easy.