Notices
Customer Feedback For Vendors Use this forum for feedback good or bad on vendor's & dealer's you have dealt with

Oregon Engine Rebuilders

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arrrgh! mcgee.... what part blew??? mine was the actual KB piston landing... blew apart at the split in the top ring... KB claimed incorrect installation... OER claimed defective piston... i supposed got a "super stock" back with stock pistons, but any other goodies should still be there...

second one ran great until i rolled truck couple months ago... OER for sale!!! 20k miles!!! i'm gonna get a 2000-2002 3.4 v6 if i get another yota....
Old 07-29-2013, 04:26 AM

This is interesting. I've googled OER reviews and have read nothing but positive feedback. Generally, the only feedback people bother posting is when they're pissed off. I come here and everybody is bashing them.

I thought i had head gasket issues and after swapping it out twice and still mixing coolant and oil I've come to the conclusion that the block is cracked. Because of this I've been researching engine builders and weighing my options of rebuilding my own (i have another 22r in the back yard) or purchasing a new one. I was pretty set on OER due to their "reviews" but after reading this I'm sorta second guessing my assessment.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use a builder with in a couple of hours drive or less, so that they can easily diagnose any warranty issues. Where do you live? What are you working on?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Buck87
Use a builder with in a couple of hours drive or less, so that they can easily diagnose any warranty issues. Where do you live? What are you working on?
That's not a bad idea. I live in CT. I'm working on an 88 22re. I've got an 84 in the back yard I may pull the engine and use the block. I've noticed though while researching engines that there seems to be a difference from 84 to 85 & up. Fuel delivery aside do u know what the difference is?
Old 07-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know the differences, but if you are using a builder they will probably accept it as a core. My OER has 24,000mi with some beach abuse and still runs like a top. Having said that I will not buy another motor that is a 10 hour drive away again. I hope that someone in CT will chime in with a recommendation that is more local.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 PM

Oer engine for sale!!!

so my story was i bought an OER engine maybe 3-4 years ago... ran it for almost 20k after getting the smog numbers to read right, and then it developed a miss and started mixing coolant and oil...

thought it was head gasket, pulled it apart and instead found two pistons had fractured dime size chunks of the landings... long story short it got sent back, blamed on defective pistons or end gap, paid the $300 for shipping, and OER rebuilt the engine with stock pistons (everything else still upgraded) for FREE under lifetime warranty, got it back, and it ran like a top for 25k, until i rolled my truck almost a year ago...

i made the decision to get a later model toyota in the future and parted the truck out... everything is gone except the 22r (NOT 22RE) and Weber 32/36 Carb.... its sitting in the engine compartment under hood in the desert ready to be pulled and taken away, front grill and radiator all cut out...
i'd take any reasonable offer (around $1000 (cost me $2300 delivered)) its ready to go... i still have all the warranty paperwork and receipts and smog docs... most everyone calling about it is looking for the RE motor/head so it seems to be a unique buyer i seek...

760-799-2875
Old 02-08-2015, 02:19 PM

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add something here. I have an OER "Super Stock" 3VZE that I had built buy John at OER. I want to be clear I have had the motor in for about a year and a half and only have about 5K on it. Johns advise was to make sure the engine breathes well and at least 2.5 at the exhaust. I had the throttle body bored 3MM added K and N filter LCE headers with a free flow cat and LCE all the way back had stock fuel injectors cleaned. Motor runs great does not burn oil sounds great to. As to performance the big difference is at 70 mph on the highway it runs and sound smooth and has enough power left at the pedal. That is what I was looking for. As to the warranty its lifetime Yes you pull it out and put it back in. But have you priced a Jasper or ATK with a Labor warranty? The price is way high..
Old 03-29-2015, 08:42 AM

What I appreciate about old forum posts is that they are still relevant today when we're referencing our classic Toyotas.

Oregon Engine Rebuilders still appear in business today, and sell on eBay, too. Which is how I found them. I have not first hand experience with them, but I thank the previous posters here, particularly PirateMcgee, for their continued follow-up on their experiences.

I'm in the Raleigh area of NC looking to having my '95 4Runner rebuilt. And despite it running well, the gaskets are all shot (leaking) whereby it seems that replacing them all is about the same price if I went with a rebuild. Thus, I went out looking for already rebuilt long blocks and came across Oregon Engine Rebuilders.

After reading some online reviews, I felt more centered about going with them. But, coming here for follow-up (as I always do), I have lost confidence of their abilities to provide a sound product. Warranties are fine, but with a lackluster product, I'll be forced to pay someone to pull the motor again (including dismantling lines, etc) at a high expense for me only to have to pay for the labor process again... with no guarantees the follow-up product will be any better. A gamble for sure.

So, with that, I'm not gonna go with Oregon Engine Rebuilders. With so much detailed info listed here, a true test of a business is when they are put to the test in backing up their product. It sounds like they have been supportive, but their product just doesn't seem to live up to snuff.

Thanks for posting this everyone!

P.S. If anyone can send me PM's where I can find reputable rebuilders for m 4Runner, please send me your thoughts. I'm open to any feedback as I want to keep my 4Runner going as long as I do.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
4Runaway, check out

http://outletengines.com/engines/toy...ta-22re-engine

They are in Cary, NC so you should be close enough to check them out. I don't have experience with them so let us all know your ideas on them. I'm close enough to buy from them. I'd use somewhere close for warranty claims.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:07 PM

Thumbs down Another OER 22RE blow-up

Hey I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd throw a review out there for people looking into Oregon Engine Rebuilders.
I got a 22RE long block from them in May 2013. It ran fine and I followed their specs. It's always lost a little oil. Oh, and that oil pan gasket they give you is crap, it leaked on me in no time (and I didn't over-tighten it).
It had a catastrophic failure the other day with a large white cloud of smoke. I limped it home and pulled the plugs, turned it over, and boom, there's a ten foot stream of coolant out the #2!
This engine has maybe, MAYBE 20k miles on it, I'll have to look. Not ok.
I will test their lifetime warranty out I guess, but how can I have confidence to keep my pickup with one of their engines?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:04 AM

Thumbs down Update

Here's an update to my last post.
I took the engine back that blew up with only 8k, that's right 8k miles on it. They said they had back luck with the gasket set they were using when I got that engine. Ok. So they rebuilt the engine and I paid for a new head cause who knows how many times that one had been rebuilt. So I put in the new rebuilt engine with their better gasket and a brand new itr head. I decided to sell the truck to a friend. He had it for a month and sold it to a guy in Hawaii for a ton cause I guess they're worth a lot over there. Anyway, the guy in Hawaii that has it called him a couple days ago and said it is billowing white smoke! Come on! This engine is 4 months old! BEWARE Oregon Engine Rebuilders! These guys make a sub-par product. It will blow up on you again and again. It's not worth the comfort of a warrantee if you have to keep replacing it.

Last edited by yotapdx; 12-08-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:29 PM

About OER

Bought the super stock 3.0 and had problems. Broken oil ring and after repair, a broken piston resulting in a broken block.(opposite side of repaired ring) . Maybe we just got a lemon?
Old 06-23-2016, 07:06 PM

About OER

Bought the super stock 3.0 and had problems. Broken oil ring and after repair, a broken piston resulting in a broken block.(opposite side of repaired ring) . Maybe we just got a lemon?
Old 08-11-2018, 05:07 PM

New life to an old thread

Just going to share my experience with OER. I bought there 22re super stock 3 years ago. The engine has about 45k on it. This is my 5th 22re 4x4 ive owned. Super stock my a**. It ran worse than any stock factory engine I’ve owned. But my loss i bought it. So guess what happened today... puff of white smoke and i either have blown gasket or cracked head. Now let me say, I’m not easy on this truck. I use it on and off road and use it everyday, but i take meticulous care of my truck. No way after 45k Miles this engine, head or head gasket should’ve let go. So now if i send them the engine back for their “life time warranty” they’re gonna say i did something ran it hot or whatever. Even if they don’t i have to pay for shipping to Oregon and be without my truck for however long. For a weaker engine than stock. I just think and know a well built 22re engine should last a tad bit longer than 45k miles or so. Do your research before buying unlike myself.

Last edited by an1176; 08-11-2018 at 05:10 PM.