Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total Chaos

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total Chaos

Does anybody know anything about the upper and lower control arm kit that Total Chaos produces?If so what's a ballpark price for it and who do you order it from?It will be goig on a 90 4Runner.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Banned

LCE has them

they are good stuff... just major $$$$$$$$
Old 06-08-2005, 11:33 PM
Contributing Member

A few guys have them, pinnacle is about to put the kit on his 4runner. Like Jim said, lots of $$$$$
Old 06-08-2005, 11:33 PM
Contributing Member

Info:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/proje...ma/longtravel/
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/projects/tacoma/uca.html

Prices:
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/prod...nsion_upgrades
http://www.kartek.com/products/truck...ta/toysusp.htm
Old 06-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Banned

as i mentioned before, for pricing comparison, look over at www.lcengineering.com they have them too
Old 06-08-2005, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chaos is cool, but check out ESB or Jdfab

www.esbfabrications.com

www.Jdfabrication.com

I run the JD kit and I wouldn't have done it any other way. It's alot of money, but for what I plan to do there isn't a better option.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:42 PM

oh yeah to answer the price question it all depends

Chaos ball joint kit is the cheapest(i think 1500.00), then the uniball kit is alittle more(Close to 2,000.00), then the gen 2 uniball kit is a little bit more.

My JD kit ran like 2250.00 but then you need some burly shocks (600.00+) and then the T-100 axles if you want 4x4. PLus you need to fab shock hoops and either get a body lift or fiberglass flares to clear 33's. It's more than the price of the kit.

I got my front end done for like 5,000.00 Most guys on here would same I'm crazy, but I enjoy it and I make my friends jealous....so there's gotta be somethin to it.

Trending Topics

Old 06-09-2005, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Here are some prices for all the kits. Like deathrunner said there is more to it than just the kit. Actually the gen II is cheaper than both the ball joint and uniball kit. Its up to you if you want to keep the torsions or run coilovers. I chose to run coilovers because there is a lot more options in spring rate you can run instad of just a few with torsion bars. You can also get premade shock hoops from total chaos. That should cut down on the price on having some made.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3yotys
Does anybody know anything about the upper and lower control arm kit that Total Chaos produces?If so what's a ballpark price for it and who do you order it from?It will be goig on a 90 4Runner.
I really want a Total Chaos kit!!! This guy I know has a 1990 truck with the kit, and reservoir shock towers in the back, it is sweet... Hopefully he will want to upgrade his front end soon so I can buy his TC kit off him
Old 06-09-2005, 10:39 PM

wierd why is the top of the line kit cheaper? why the hell would you buy a uniball kit?
Old 06-10-2005, 07:12 PM

I would guess that the Gen II is cheaper because the upper arm is less complicated. It doesn't have to have a socket for the torsion bar. Going with the Gen II kit will still be more expensive. Good coilovers are going to cost you at least $600 each. So, add at least $1200. Also, add $175 for the shock hoops.

I will be ordering all of this stuff next week.

Hey Death,
What glass do you have on the front and who did you buy it from? Kinda hard to shop for this sort of stuff here in Alabama.

Jeff
Old 06-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jposey66
I would guess that the Gen II is cheaper because the upper arm is less complicated. It doesn't have to have a socket for the torsion bar. Going with the Gen II kit will still be more expensive. Good coilovers are going to cost you at least $600 each. So, add at least $1200. Also, add $175 for the shock hoops.

I will be ordering all of this stuff next week.

Hey Death,
What glass do you have on the front and who did you buy it from? Kinda hard to shop for this sort of stuff here in Alabama.

Jeff
Coilovers dont cost much more than resivor shocks. All you are basiclly adding are the coils and hardware, which is about $150 per shock more than a standard res. shock. The Gen II shock hoop is about $100 more that than the one for the uniball kit. So there is about a $350 difference between the 2 kits.

Deathrunner is running the Hannemann Ivan Glass.

Last edited by pinnacle; 06-10-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by pinnacle
Coilovers dont cost much more than resivor shocks. All you are basiclly adding are the coils and hardware, which is about $150 per shock more than a standard res. shock. The Gen II shock hoop is about $100 more that than the one for the uniball kit. So there is about a $350 difference between the 2 kits.

Deathrunner is running the Hannemann Ivan Glass.

You're making me feel better about going with the Gen II. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:02 AM

Pinnacle is spot on...you need fat-assed shocks to make this stuff work anyway. The swayaways I have come threaded anyway, all you do is buy nuts and coils. I could go coil-over if I want I just need to tie my hoops together and get the coil nuts and coils. The JD fab kit is nice because you can run torsions until you can afford to upgrade to coils, the sway-away shocks also allow for an easy transition. The gen II kit is rad because you can double shock, but for my kind of riding I don't see the need for it.

Check www.kartek.com they should be able to get the hannemann glass
Old 06-11-2005, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
Pinnacle is spot on...you need fat-assed shocks to make this stuff work anyway. The swayaways I have come threaded anyway, all you do is buy nuts and coils. I could go coil-over if I want I just need to tie my hoops together and get the coil nuts and coils. The JD fab kit is nice because you can run torsions until you can afford to upgrade to coils, the sway-away shocks also allow for an easy transition. The gen II kit is rad because you can double shock, but for my kind of riding I don't see the need for it.

Check www.kartek.com they should be able to get the hannemann glass

I'll be running King coilovers on mine. Starting out with just the coilovers, but hope to eventually add a pair of bypasses up front. Kartek prices look pretty decent on the glass. I'll have to give them a shout. Wish you could get the Ivan hood that bolted to the hinges. Looks like you can only get the 4 pin version.

Deathrunner,
You do any prerunning out there? I am out that way at least a couple of weeks per year, usually crossing over into Baja. I have a few friends in Lakeside. I'll be out there for a couple of weeks in November and will be bringing my 4runner.

Jposey
Old 06-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

I'll be running kings also. Glassworks makes the same type kit as hannemann and uses the stock rear hinges but uses 2 hood pins in the front to secure the hood. I went to kartek today to get some more parts, but when I got home they didn't give me all the parts that I ordered . So it looks like I'm going to be making another trip out there tomorrow to get the rest.

Glassworks
Old 06-12-2005, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by pinnacle
I'll be running kings also. Glassworks makes the same type kit as hannemann and uses the stock rear hinges but uses 2 hood pins in the front to secure the hood. I went to kartek today to get some more parts, but when I got home they didn't give me all the parts that I ordered . So it looks like I'm going to be making another trip out there tomorrow to get the rest.

Glassworks
I'll have to take a look at the Glassworks kit. Hinges with 2 pins is what I would like. I do like the look of Deathrunner's glass, though.

At least Kartek is within driving distance for you. Imagine trying to do everything from Alabama, 2000 miles away. There are absolutely no shops around here that have anything I need. "Prerunner, What's that? Why don't you just get rid of that POS IFS?" They don't get it!

Posey

Last edited by jposey66; 06-12-2005 at 04:15 AM.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:16 AM

I do a little bit of quick stuff, but I kept my 4WD because I enjoy using that the most.

Originally I wanted to make the most improvements with IFS. So, I decided on a lt kit because it would provide ample flex and an enjoyable ride. THen I found out you had to get glass, at first I was irritated but then I actually like the lines of the Ivan kit.

Then I wanted to go overaxle with the springs but I learned that that would sacrifice my ride quality. 62's flex very well anyway, so I decided on em. I mostly like twisty trails and mild rock traversing (I'm hesitant to say rockcrawling since I've seen what the Arizona guys do). I do a little bit of quick stuff, considering my stomping grounds are the California desert, it's hard to escape.

In summary I'm just a 4x4 dude in a prerunner body.

I can definitely sympathize with you, I have seen so many confused looks by crawler guys I know when I told em of my wicked IFS plans. But when they look at the part sinvolved there is a level of respect usually. I think it's cool when someone can be big enough to appreciate something outside of what they know and do.

Let me know when you're out this way, we can hit the desert and maybe we can finally get Pinnacle out here too....
Old 06-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

My kit is growing. I just got back from kartek and got everything staightened out. I picked up the lower uniball conversion, shock hoops and the weld in truss. Should be ordering my shocks next week. I still need to get fiberglass(glassworks Ivan Kit), T-100 Axles and the heimed steering.

I really want to go down there. But its not possible right now, no 4wd. I'm planning to have the front done by the end of next month and the 4wd working.

Old 06-12-2005, 02:51 PM

Yea, I'm building mine for double duty. Not much prerunning around here. I'm a few hours from Tellico and enjoy that sort of riding also. Pinnacle, your just a little ahead of me. Only parts that I have, so far, are the front hanger, for my Chevy springs, and the Chevy springs. Should be ordering everything you have in the pic plus shocks this week.

Currently, I am planning on be coming through San Diego, November 13-24 and will be bringing my 4Runner. The first week will be down in Baja. After that, I wouldn't mind some dune action or some exploring around SoCal. I have never been around any dunes, but have seen some that looked interesting out Interstate 8 towards Yuma. If you guys are interested in coming along, into Baja, feel free to. We have a very experienced group and always have a blast. We will be working a race pit for the Baja 1000 also, but that only takes up about one day. If that doesn't sound interesting, we can hook up when I get out of Baja and ya'll can show me the ropes in SoCal. I'm usually just passing through so am not familiar with the offroading around there.

I will also be in Nevada, for the Vegas to Reno race, in October, if you follow any of those races. I'll be co-driving/navigating a class 7 Toyota truck for that race.

Jposey

Quick Reply: Total Chaos