Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solution for lifts/flats

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solution for lifts/flats

I have a 3rd generation with no sliders or aftermarket bumpers. I have a few questions:

-If I need to change my tire, I have a 265/75/16 as a spare. I am running 285/75/16's. Will I damage anything running this spare for a short time?

-Could I use a Hi-Lift jack without sliders, etc to change a tire? My stock jack will not even come close without a bunch of 4x4 pieces of wood

-Any other ideas, other than not to get a flat tire?
Old 04-21-2006, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You will most likely notice some serious pull with a spare. You have to do what you have to do though. I would get it taken care of asap. Also you may be able to get by with your hi-lift on your hitch. (don't quote me on that though. Surely someone else will chime in to correct me if I am wrong)
Old 04-21-2006, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's scary using the hi-lift on the hitch. It feels really unstable, and I woulnd't want to take a wheel off using it. Looks like you should get some sliders....
Old 04-21-2006, 06:55 AM

Yeah.. I was afraid of that.... My wife has the clamp on the check book, so the sliders will have to wait. I guess a few pieces of 4x4 wood will have to do with my stock jack :pat:

I am in the beginning stages of coming up with a bracket that will tie in with my rear anchor points to hold my spare inside the rear cargo area. Then I could mount a hi-lift jack along with it. I will mount the bracket in place of where the stock hooks are. The bracket wil be made from spare parts I had from a SURCO safari roof spare tire mount.

Have it mounted in this area.

Last edited by ROOFGOOF; 04-21-2006 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Yea, I was lucky and caught the marlin sliders on sale for $99 + shipping. I bought em then saved for a while to put em on. but it was def. worth it.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:05 AM

If you get a flat on the front, and you have to drive more that 2 miles, take the time to put the spare on the rear, and a rear up front. My dad drove 600 miles back from hunting one year with a 235/75/15 on, when the rest were 30x9./50. Not even as much different as a 265 - 285..and it was a PITA

Hi-lift makes a bumper tool, but I am not sure if stock bumpers are strong enough..
Old 04-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AH64ID
If you get a flat on the front, and you have to drive more that 2 miles, take the time to put the spare on the rear, and a rear up front.
And here I always though you wanted the smaller tire on the IFS.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:38 AM

I would NOT use a hilift on stock anything. Period, end of story.

I would NOT use a hilift on a trailer hitch - waaaaay to easy for the truck to shift laterally (even if it's blocked), and that is some scary sh|t. I'm speaking from experience on this one.

Running an unmatched tire on the front will cause the truck to pull/wander. How much will depends on how much difference there is between the tires. Putting it on the back is generally safer, assuming you can run your rear diff open.

To change the tire, use the stock jack on the lower control arm. There are jacking points other than the frame rails that can be used in a pinch.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
I would NOT use a hilift on stock anything. Period, end of story.

I would NOT use a hilift on a trailer hitch - waaaaay to easy for the truck to shift laterally (even if it's blocked), and that is some scary sh|t. I'm speaking from experience on this one.

Running an unmatched tire on the front will cause the truck to pull/wander. How much will depends on how much difference there is between the tires. Putting it on the back is generally safer, assuming you can run your rear diff open.

To change the tire, use the stock jack on the lower control arm. There are jacking points other than the frame rails that can be used in a pinch.
WORD.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

The stock jack will work fine for much more than 285/75/16.

The front stock jack location point should be under the lower control arm as mentioned above. This lifts the tire without having to extend the suspension to do so. This is much safer as you only need to lift the vehicle a few inches.

The rear stock jack location is under the rear axle. It isn't intuitive since there is no flat location on the axle tube to put the jack. I think Toyota should have added this. But it is still safe and is even recommended in your owners manual. This has the same advantages as the front. You only have to lift the vehicle a few inches and don't have to decompress the suspension before the tire lifts off the ground.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:14 AM

Cool... I thought it would be a bigger issue using a stock jack with 285's and a lift comprising of OME 2.5 inch and 2 inch BL. But I haven't tried the stock jack yet to see how it matches up to the lift --- as a precaution.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:27 AM

another thing to consider is if you have a locked fron or rear....different size tires on a locked axel would not be good.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:28 AM

I have factory rear locker. I guess I could just find a crap used 285/75/16 and put it on a spare rim just in case.

Last edited by ROOFGOOF; 04-21-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by ROOFGOOF
I have factory rear locker. I guess I could just find a crap used 285/75/16 and put it on a spare rim just in case.
If you run the diff open, you won't have any problems. Running it locked with different tires would be bad.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:51 AM

10-4... I am slowly learning, I appreciate the help.

Hopefully I will be able to get some type of tire mount in my cargo area along with a few other little goodies that will make a nice and clean install. The spare takes up room, but I don't think its too crazy having it back there. Did I mention how much I hate the spare hangin undernieth the truck
Old 04-21-2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 00Runner
The rear stock jack location is under the rear axle. It isn't intuitive since there is no flat location on the axle tube to put the jack. I think Toyota should have added this.
The jack top has a rounded groove in it so that it cradeles the axle. So instead of making a flat spot on the axle (dumb) they made a cylindrical impression on the jack (smart).

When jacking up my IFS I put the jack right inside of the lower ball joint on the knub that faces down. It makes a good point to jack from. Some tire/rim combos might not allow this point to be used though.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ROOFGOOF
10-4... I am slowly learning, I appreciate the help.

Hopefully I will be able to get some type of tire mount in my cargo area along with a few other little goodies that will make a nice and clean install. The spare takes up room, but I don't think its too crazy having it back there. Did I mention how much I hate the spare hangin undernieth the truck
i dont bother running a spare for local in town driving. im hoping the tough sidewalls of the MT/R's will protect me from most flats in town. if not, i usually have a bottle of fix-a-flat, but id bug my friends to bring me a spare before cracking it open.

that said, i just load my spare in the trunk when goin out wheelin or a long distance drive. every little bit helps weight wise for mileage so going spare free helps there too. i used to strap my spare vertically, holding it down with ratcheting straps. but when wheelin and bouncin around alot, it would just flop over. nowi just leave it flat on the trunk floor, and mount whatever i need to on top & tie it all down with straps...most of the time im still able to utilize the cargo cover too...
Old 04-22-2006, 06:45 AM

Lower control arm just behind the BJ.

Rear axle.

Lots of people use stock jacks or little, baby bottle jacks for just this with 33+" tires.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:31 AM

Don't the 265/75/16 and 285/75/16 have the same rolling diameter?
Old 04-22-2006, 10:38 AM

not quite

Quick Reply: Solution for lifts/flats