Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smittybilt XRC8 winch - Opinions from owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM

Location: I live part time in southern VT and part time in western mass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had an xrc-8 for a little over a year now I've very happy with it, probably used it a couple dozen times with no problem. Pulled my truck up some really steep inclines with it. If there was one thing I didn't like it would be where the remote cable goes into the control box the connector moves a little bit but it's no big deal.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:22 PM

Location: I live part time in southern VT and part time in western mass
Another benefit to synthetic rope is it floats is water and mud instead of sinking like steel. I have the steel line and I'm happy with though
Old 11-29-2010, 11:46 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-982.../dp/B003CGBN3C
Old 11-30-2010, 12:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bleeder,
I looked into winches pretty carefully a while back. Smittybuilt reviewed VERY well and very few people had issues. Unless you're a competition guy, I would buy the Smittybuilt in a heartbeat.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gary_the_4runner
That's by far the best deal I've seen on the comp series!
Old 12-09-2010, 01:28 PM

just picked mine up and installed it yesterday... im excited to use it
Old 12-14-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by taggart_lumpy
just picked mine up and installed it yesterday... im excited to use it

So have you used it yet?
Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 AM

O.K. - I hate to bump an old thread but why not keep the info concentrated for the searchers.

Here's my problem after a year + of reading & searching....the same things pop up in every article & every forum post....buy Warn if you're serious & buy Smittybilt if you're not (my interpretation of it).

All the Warn first guys shut up as the admiration from the masses for the cost/reliability of the Smitty builds to a crescendo! Now I'm a fanboi of neither as I've owned neither. I've used my share of winches & most of them have been hydraulics on bucket trucks but I've used a few electrics on recreational vehicles as well & most have been Warns. The Warns always worked & I have nothing bad to say about one of their products, the only one I saw broke was do to user (greenhorn) error.

My $1,000 question is this - Has anyone dissected the two side by side to compare workmanship, done a controlled test to failure side by side? All this "my buddy had one & it brokeded" means squat, I don't care how many posts you have, how many people worship your stools, whether you web wheel or rig helicopter lifts off mountain tops in the wilderness & peoples lives are at stake or whether you are a fanboi of one or the other.....does anyone have any proof which is manufactured better or is it all a "he said she said, I like this better than that?"

They've been around long enough someone has surely ripped into the guts to see what's up. Some facts are indisputable, all opinions are disputable.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 PM

Well, in the interest of keeping all the info together, I thought I would post an update. I've had the winch on for over a year now and have gotten a good bit of use out of it. I've used it in mud water and dirt without fail. My only complaint is that the dust cover for the controller plug is tearing. Not too big of a deal and cheap enough to fix I'm sure.

I think the smitty built complaints were referring to the first run. My understanding is that the quality is not really an issue these days. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by dropzone; 06-07-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:27 AM

Sounds like everyone is getting good use out of them.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:51 AM

My brother in law has one on his jeep it works great we used it to pull my grandfathers Chevy out of the snow we've also used it at gulches off road park to pull people out they work great when I get a winch I'm gettin a smitty built
Old 05-15-2012, 08:21 AM

rigs i wheel with all have them and use them often.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:05 PM

XRC8 on Trail Gear Bumper

Has anyone put an XRC8 on a Trail Gear Bumper? I have a 1991 pickup with low profile Trail Gear bumper. I put the XRC8 on my bumper, it barely fit and cracked my grill getting it in. I have the steel cable on my winch and the roller fairlead that came with the winch is too big and covers the receiver on my bumper. Are there any smaller rollers that fit this bumper? I would like to switch to a hawse fairlead, but don't want to have to go out and buy synthetic cable. Any experiences? Or suggestions?
I am very happy with the performance of the winch though, paid less than $300.00
Old 06-07-2012, 04:22 PM

i don't have the XCR8, but I do have steel cable and a Hause Fairlead. they make a version for steel cable...
Old 06-07-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyR
I put the XRC8 on my bumper, it barely fit and cracked my grill getting it in. I have the steel cable on my winch and the roller fairlead that came with the winch is too big and covers the receiver on my bumper. Are there any smaller rollers that fit this bumper? I would like to switch to a hawse fairlead, but don't want to have to go out and buy synthetic cable. Any experiences? Or suggestions?
I am very happy with the performance of the winch though, paid less than $300.00

You probably have to trim your grill a bit, most do.

The roller fairleads cover the hitch mount, no way around that. You can get a hawse style fairlead for your steel cable, but get a steel fairlead because the steel cable will tear the aluminum one apart over time.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 06-07-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:07 PM

I have addicted bumper I had to cut my grill quite a bit and it barely squeezed in
Old 06-11-2012, 08:04 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Its been used and abused and the only problem is its sun faded.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:31 PM

Same here..mine is still trucking. Sun faded and I think my wired controller is giving out but to be fair it's been exposed to the elements since day one and its been jumping around in the back of the 4runner.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Just went up and played in the snow with my Chevy and got buried trying to get someone's suburban out. Jumped in here to look at winch info. Looks like I am going for 2 10k's when I can. 2 1/2 hours the total rigs without winches and finally save by a group of guys. Almost all had winches and it was. 5 min thing. I know I need gears and lockers first. Thanks for all the info
Old 03-12-2013, 04:56 PM

I know this is an older thread but I'm interested in these winches and like what Ive read so far. A local off road shop told me the cases break on smittybuilt winches, can anyone confirm that?

Quick Reply: Smittybilt XRC8 winch - Opinions from owners